Office work and munchies

After leaving a position in the ER where I was always running and moving and rarely had time to eat - for a case managment job - I find that while Im at my desk on the computer, I just want to eat and eat and munch and munch. How do you guys handle this?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    I get up and move.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    I get up and get water, or I do a quick loop around the office to get moving.

Sometimes it helps to have a timer set, and to get up at 25 minute intervals if possible just to reset and help stave off that "I've been here forever and I'm about to mindlessly munch" moment.
  • mhausler93
    mhausler93 Posts: 83 Member
    I have that same problem. My solution was to not keep snacks at work, and I drink at least a half gallon of water during the day while I sit at my desk to keep me occupied.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Water, coffee, hot tea. At all times.
  • evarga12
    evarga12 Posts: 55 Member
    Try spreading your meals out. Maybe 4-5 meals a day. What typically works for me is 8am meal, 11ish meal, 2:30ish meal & then around 5-7pm have another meal.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    I have times when I can have a snack. 10am & 2pm. If it's not those times I can't eat. Gum and water only.
  • I use a 6packfitness bag. I pack my meals, it does not solve the problem, but I agree, I went from outside sales walking around and running to sitting at a desk. huuungryy
  • FrownWellington
    FrownWellington Posts: 20 Member
    Jolinia wrote: »

This! I do green tea in the morning, and switch to a herbal tea in the afternoons. Right now I'm really liking lemon ginger, which seems to keep me from feeling hungry, whereas the fruity herbal teas make me want to eat.
  • projecthotbel
    projecthotbel Posts: 32 Member

Exactly what I do.
  • leyla87
    leyla87 Posts: 18 Member
    Drink loads of water, have healthy snacks at desk, move every hour.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Chew gum
    Take a walk around the building
    Drink water, tea, coffee, etc.
    Munch on celery
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    water and hot tea are best but if you must munch have popcorn on hand
  • I have the same struggles. I have a digicare (very generic fitbit), if I am idle for 45mins it reminds me to get up. I drink water all day, but when I am here at the office sitting I just want to eat. I have added meditation during my working hours to help keep me from eating and I chew gum.
  • many_splendored
    many_splendored Posts: 113 Member
    If you must keep snacks: Veggies, fruit and gum are your friends. Occasionally, I like SmartFood popcorn, they have a white cheddar flavor that has a nice little zip.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    I eat at 0730, 0930, 1130, 1430, and 1830 and try to have carbs and protein at every time.
  • em020585
    em020585 Posts: 1 Member
    It's always been a struggle. I spread my meals/snacks out as well. And gum is my savior. When ever I want a snack ill pop in a piece if minty gum or if i want something sweet I'll chew a piece of fruity gum. And of course lots of water.
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    1. As mentioned above: Coffee, water, tea.
    2. I like to bring my own snacks.
    3. I hop on the treadmill on my lunch to keep me moving. I just graze all day on lighter options.
  • sarahtsabo
    sarahtsabo Posts: 28 Member

Exactly what I do.

Hot tea. All day. Every day.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    I plan for a morning snack and an afternoon snack. I also constantly drink water or hot tea, which makes me use the bathroom more and get up to go fill my water bottle and tea.
  • flightybird
    flightybird Posts: 32 Member
    I went from an extremely active job to a complete sedentary one, so I get what you're going through. It is SO easy to mindlessly eat (especially in my office, where someone ALWAYS brings decadent snacks)

I drink a TON of water/hot tea like people have mentioned above, always plan all my meals & snacks the night before and bring what I need so that I'm "armed and ready." I also always have sugar-free gum on hand. It still has a few calories, but it's better than stuffing my face with Hot Cheetos from the vending machine.