Thoughts on preworkout supplements?

Options
What are your thoughts/experience with prework supplements (such as like jack 3d & cellucor c4)

Also, do yall know of any that are caffeine-free? I've had people recommended Jack 3d to me and/or oxyshred by ehplabs. I'm not much of a supplement girl but it would be nice to have an extra boost during my plateaued workouts.

Replies

• sammthizzle
    Options
    I don't know if you are still interested in it but I am taking Ehplabs-Oxyshred and it's ok. It will definitely give you a boost. Like a BOOST and it will help you SWEAT more than you would normally do and give you clarity. With that said, I think there are downsides to this product but they vary from person to person. If you are not used to pre-workouts like I'm not then it will give you a bad time when you are done with your workout and two hours later you are still feeling it. I'm not sensitive to caffeine but I guess it has to do with the combination of stuff in it. I hope that helps.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    The active ingredient in pretty much all of those is caffeine.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts/experience with prework supplements (such as like jack 3d & cellucor c4)

Also, do yall know of any that are caffeine-free? I've had people recommended Jack 3d to me and/or oxyshred by ehplabs. I'm not much of a supplement girl but it would be nice to have an extra boost during my plateaued workouts.

Xpand2.0 by Dymatize has a stimulant free version as well as stimulant version. If you're lacking energy just have a Gatorade 30-min prior to exercise, you really don't need all the extra and expensive stuff in those.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It all depends what you want from a pre-workout. If you need a rude wakeup call, anything caffeine will do, no expensive powders needed. Personally, I need the N.O. boost, not really the caffeine. Sadly, the only pre-workout, that won't make me sick at this time is C4, and they don't have a caffeine-free version yet. Try to get some sample packs before you invest in something that makes you throw up during a hard workout.
    Don't ignore the fine print on the nutrition label. When they tell you not to take the stuff 5 hours before you need to go to bed, then know that they are not kidding. It WILL keep you awake.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    what exactly are you doing that you need or think you need a pre-workout supplement? Personally, I do just fine with an apple or banana.

Also, if you're having a hard time getting through workouts, you might want to look at your diet overall...quality as well as making sure you're getting enough calories overall. I would also add that I've found when I'm actually training, meal timing makes a difference in my performance...

I usually have an apple or banana about 30 minutes prior to a lifting session. For my cycling I usually go somewhat fasted unless I'm doing a longer endurance ride in which case I'll have some quick carbs and often eat while I'm riding too.
  • stuartf22
    stuartf22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So I use a pre-workout in the gym every heavy session such as chest, back and shoulders. I believe it helps me give an extra boost. However my advice too people who have never used one is too just stay away. You do get addicted to them and feel as if you need one every session. If you do go ahead and buy one I would recommend N,O explode it tastes good and the side effects are minimal but are you training effectively too need a Pre-workout? are you hitting big heavy compound exercises such as squats, presses etc then maybe it would be a good idea. Or are you just jogging on a treadmill followed by 12 sets on a the ab machine? if so you don't need one.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    stuartf22 wrote: »
    So I use a pre-workout in the gym every heavy session such as chest, back and shoulders. I believe it helps me give an extra boost. However my advice too people who have never used one is too just stay away. You do get addicted to them and feel as if you need one every session. If you do go ahead and buy one I would recommend N,O explode it tastes good and the side effects are minimal but are you training effectively too need a Pre-workout? are you hitting big heavy compound exercises such as squats, presses etc then maybe it would be a good idea. Or are you just jogging on a treadmill followed by 12 sets on a the ab machine? if so you don't need one.
    Tried N.O. Xplode, too, they make it caffeine free. Worked well FOR ME, however, it foams a lot, and this might cause bloat. Just a thought for sensitive stomachs....
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Drink a cup of coffee.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I definitely think pre workouts have a place in weight lifting, however, they are definitely overused! I used to depend on them, try not to do this as it's expensive and unnecessary.

If you are doing deadlifts or squats I'd also recommend to take a lower dose than usual as there's been many times I've had to call it quits because I'm close to vomiting or passing out.

Pre workouts I've tried:

Craze. Boy it lived up to it's name, extreme focus, felt exceptionally energetic and made me feel like a god in the gym. However, exceptionally bad comedowns and felt really jittery the rest of the day. Every time.

C4. I liked using this one on every workout. It didn't give me the focus some others have but if I felt groggy on a day it would give me the extra boost I needed! No side effects either!

Assault. First time I didn't really feel any effects (half a scoop.) Second time took a full rounded scoop, was testing my 1RM, almost threw up after and felt really jittery (my brother really likes this one though)

MTS Clash. Haven't had as much use as I've stopped taking pre workouts unless I feel like I need an insane boost, however it felt similar to C4, gave me the boost I needed and zilch on the side effects!

"Hyphy mud." This is just coca cola mixed with coffee, tastes vile but wakes you up, missing all the goodies like AAKG and Beta Alanine

My friend used to take a pre workout with no caffeine, unsure if the extra pump and energy I felt was placebo or not, but it was there none the less. If I recall the name I'll be sure to post it here!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I think after two years the OP has figured out her opinions on pre-workout supps.
  • ameyer1
    ameyer1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased C4 to use on my lifting days...I feel nothing. I have not seen any benefit other than tingly lips and increased sweating.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I think after two years the OP has figured out her opinions on pre-workout supps.

old threads often spark new conversation, and give new info for people searching for the same thing. saves the repeated posts on the same thing over and over. nbd.