Changing wieghing day, is that cheating?

Options
I usually wiegh on a Monday. Anyway this Friday I had a cheeky jump on the scales, I had lost 3lbs very chuffed! Wieghed myself this morning, only a 2 lb loss! I knw that is still respectable loss. I know where I went wrong..... A few glasses of wine at the week end!
By changing I see plus and minus
Minus I am more likely to be a bit more free with the calories, so not as much loss
Plus. I do most of my exercise through the week ( I work week ends) so wieghing on a Friday will reflect that more.
Is it cheating or just giving myself licence to go for it at week ends?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I changed to weighing on Friday for exactly that reason. It's the overall trend that matters, not the individual weight on the scale each weigh in, and you need to do what works best for you to keep that downward trend going.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Weigh in day doesn't really matter as long as its consistent and as long as the weight loss efforts are consistent...if you do change to Friday don't get caught in the trap of partying all weekend then spending Monday to Thursday making up for it, ready for weigh in Friday.

Personally I like Monday as a weigh in day, keeps me in line a little...some moderation, some wine, a dinner out...weight loss may be lower than if I had weighed Friday...but it all catches up in the end.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and log it on my happy scale app, I only log on MFP on Wednesdays (because that's the day I started). I don't think it matters when you weigh in as long as your seeing a downward trend
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    karleta wrote: »
    I usually wiegh on a Monday. Anyway this Friday I had a cheeky jump on the scales, I had lost 3lbs very chuffed! Wieghed myself this morning, only a 2 lb loss! I knw that is still respectable loss. I know where I went wrong..... A few glasses of wine at the week end!
    By changing I see plus and minus
    Minus I am more likely to be a bit more free with the calories, so not as much loss
    Plus. I do most of my exercise through the week ( I work week ends) so wieghing on a Friday will reflect that more.
    Is it cheating or just giving myself licence to go for it at week ends?

I would record your Monday weight this time. If you want to switch to weighing on Friday's from now on then do that but don't keep switching to recording whichever one looks better.
    I would be more mindful of your weekend behavior no matter what day you log.
  • walruslike
    walruslike Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You cannot cheat. Reality rules.... always has, always will. You mass what you mass no matter what the scales say.

If you are not happy with that reality you can change it... but only by genuine effort.

As for charts and numbers.... tweak the weighing days all you like.... but the long term trend can't be cheated.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Weighing daily is better, if you can handle seeing the fluctuations.

But when you measure your weight is not cheating at all, as it is what it is whether you measure it or not.

I personally dislike the term "cheat" anyway. It's not a game -- it's just you, your diet, and your body.
  • donnamwebb39
    donnamwebb39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

But when you measure your weight is not cheating at all, as it is what it is whether you measure it or not.

I personally dislike the term "cheat" anyway. It's not a game -- it's just you, your diet, and your body.

Well said!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

I agree with all this.
  • karleta
    karleta Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As I wrote this I realised, who was I cheating anyway? ME!
    And yes by switching to a Friday I would be more inclined to splurge a bit more at the week end. So I have decided to stick to a Monday, and next week I hope for the same if not more of a loss
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Try weighing daily using HappyScale or Libra to even out fluctuations. Otherwise even on a weekly basis it's hard to tell if you're gaining, losing, or maintaining. So you're a pound lower than your last week's weight on your weigh in day - so what? You can gain or lose up to 5 lbs in a day through waste and water changes.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It is what it is, the amount you weighed at that time on that day. Your danger is of being inconsistent. Its just data. You will naurally flucyuate 1-4lbs a day.

Weigh whenenver you like just track it and look at the trend.