Sabotage

Options
My main two points of self sabotage are:

I eat something that nearly blows my daily cals, so I give up for that day.

I have a fear of being hungry, that irrationally keeps me thinking of things to eat.

Replies

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting has helped me a lot with the fear of hunger. I've learned it isn't a horrible agony to endure. In fact, there are some nice effects like sharper senses (although a sharper sense of smell near a bakery has a downside!) and better awareness and for me I tend to be in a better mood.

I'm definitely guilty of the oh I blew it, today is done. So if I'm going to blow it I wait as long as I can, blow it in the evening, and it ends at midnight. Still not great, though.
  • tracie999
    tracie999 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Been there before. The main thing is get back on track as soon as possible.
  • JessieK522
    Options
    I had the exact same problem. I don't know that it was necessarily a "fear" of being hungry but it seemed to become some what of an obsession. I felt like the hardest part about "changing my lifestyle" was not constantly thinking about it. What I found most helpful was changing the meal settings on mfp to time frames. Instead of breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks I have 6am-10am. 10-12, 12-2, 2-4... By allowing myself to eat something every 2 hours or so I am able to relax a little bit. If I am feeling hungry and see it is 1:30 I can find something to do for thirty minutes and revist that feeling then.
  • justincook
    justincook Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great discussion! I agree with all of these posts.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Try pre-logging your day.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging my day has helped with that. It can be really hard. I know some days I will beat myself up about it but then realize just get back on track.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you spend all day trying not to think about food and not being hungry, guess what you're going to spend all day thinking about??
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

I have a fear of being hungry, that irrationally keeps me thinking of things to eat.

I pretty much never get hungry - I go straight from "fine" to "ragingly hangry". So, I keep a schedule. I don't go more than 4 hours without eating unless I'm asleep.

Fasting would never work for me because being hungry makes me angry, headachy and extremely nauseated. For those who can handle hunger, it seems like it works.

• Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    That was a fast deactivation. The thread didn't even hit the toilet yet.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    OP Deactivated???

anya-blink.gif
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    OP Deactivated???

anya-blink.gif

Well. My work here is done.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I used to make this excuse: I have to eat something and this (pizza, burger, chips ect) are all that is available so I might as well eat it so that I won't be hungry. The truth is, hunger will not kill you if you are overweight. You could not eat for days and be just fine so skipping an unhealthy meal will not kill you. Eating that unhealthy meal and allowing it to send you into a spiral of guilt and binging will eventually shorten your life. The best plan is to plan ahead so that you never are hungry but if all that is available is something that will not fit in your plan then do not eat. After a few times of being hungry you will start planning ahead.
  • Lee_Kiester
    Lee_Kiester Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Not sure why It looks like deactivated.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    OP Deactivated???

anya-blink.gif

Must be bunnies.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I literally do both of these things WAAAAY more often than I'd care to admit. It's something I have to work on.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have a "fear" of being hungry, too. It can affect my health/mood, etc., but I have to go without for a while before I start getting too shaky. Even though I'm not trying to lose weight and am already pretty lean, it is one of those things I've wanted to correct. Just because it sucks to be so driven by blood sugar.
  • nellysen
    nellysen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I eat something that nearly blows my daily cals, so I give up for that day..

You are not alone on this one. I am the same. Wish I could change my mindset to the point where I can accept I ate something I shouldn't have and just continue that same day in a better, more healthy way.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

What are you going to do about it? Anything? You could try preplanning and logging your food, so theres less space for mistakes. Otherwise you will need to be more mindful so you dont blow it and then part 2 is changing your idea to give up completely rather than damage limitation.
    I have a fear of being hungry, that irrationally keeps me thinking of things to eat

Maybe look at your eating patterns and adopt a diet to match.
    Its something the BBC have looked at recently. You might look at eating several small meals, which ives you a constant supply or you might want to match your diet so you get to eat large amounts and have that full feeling by eating low GI and lean protein.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/film-news/deconstructing-diets---you-feaster-8431958

Its a good start in you understanding what you are doing and now you just have to find the suitable solution. good luck.

• sofaking6
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    OP Deactivated???

anya-blink.gif

Must be bunnies.

They got those floppy ears and twitchy little noses.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    husseycd wrote: »
    I have a "fear" of being hungry, too. It can affect my health/mood, etc., but I have to go without for a while before I start getting too shaky. Even though I'm not trying to lose weight and am already pretty lean, it is one of those things I've wanted to correct. Just because it sucks to be so driven by blood sugar.

I always thought it was blood sugar, but I had my fasting numbers tested recently and they were normal. And that was a good long fast since I couldn't get in until 10:30am so at least 15 hours. So now I don't know wtf to think.