Long road ahead, 50+ lbs to lose!

Options
Hey people here's a little about me and I wanna know a little about you.
I have been overweight since I could remember, and although I'm fairly young (24) I feel as though I've wasted so much time. I have always been the fat girl I was always the girl the cuter skinnier girls hung around to make themselves look better by comparison. Now that I'm an adult I'm still fat, 221 lbs of fat and diagnosed with PCOS, fatty liver disease, depression, and told by my doctor that I'm in the morbid obesity weight range for my height (5'2") Well all that sounds awful but I'll say this, it will not beat me. I'm in this I have my heart and soul poured into my own health and fitness and I will not be one of those people that eats themselves into the grave. I have 50+ lbs to lose!!! I work out 4-5 times a week (this week I did 6 times yay!) and I try to eat well most of the time. Sorry for the long post but I would love to know a little of your story and why you want to lose weight!

Replies

• bridgieNZ
    bridgieNZ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hello, I've also always been over weight,all my life I've struggled with confidence and sense of worth. Over a year ago I lost 20kg (44lbs) although I still have a lot more to lose. I haven't lost any weight in over a year but I haven't done MFP properly in that time, I'm just grateful I've been pretty stable just got to get myself to that next phase. Well done on getting those work outs in I really have to try harder in this area. Shush you the best of luck
  • goodjoshboy
    goodjoshboy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm in a similar situation except I need to lose 200+ pounds to be in my healthy weight. I'm 39 and have truly lost out on many things I used to love and do. Morbid obesity is no joke and I think it's great you're starting now.
  • daniellepagani7
    daniellepagani7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am twenty six 5'6" and 230 pounds.... I have been overweight since sixth grade in a family of kids who had trouble gaining weight or no trouble maintaining it. Its a real struggle, since gaining fifty pounds in the last two years, I have noticed a spike in my anxiety, I developed asthma, and fatigue. I have been working out three to four times a week and trying to eat better, but I'm finding it difficult to lose the weight. I guess I'm just posting in solidarity and to tell you you aren't alone in your struggle.
  • sahead710
    sahead710 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for posting it's comforting to know that we're not in this struggle alone please feel free to add me so we can support each other :)
  • celticlass69
    celticlass69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You have started and that says alot. Every litle bit helps. One step, one flight of stairs. They all count towards your goal. Modifying your diet will help too. Water, lots of water helps too.
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    In a way, I am just the opposite. I was horribly skinny as a child. I was 5'8" and 120 lb when I graduated high school (can you say Twiggy in a cinch belt?). In college a maintenance diet was 3000 calories. Believe me when I say this is not an enviable state to be in. I got to point often when just the thought of food was nauseating. Then at 35, my metabolism rolled over and died. I am now over 60 lbs overweight. My maintenance diet now is about half that of college.

Most of my weight seems to be in my abdomen. Bending over is very difficult as this "basketball" pushes into my diaphragm and makes it difficult to breathe. That makes exercise hard to do. How to you get motivated to gasp for breath? I need buddies to keep me going when I don't want to move.
  • sahead710
    Options
    Most of my weights in my stomach as well and its very irritating to have somewhat toned legs and calves with a big gut over them, I'd much rather be even. I have a larger bosom as well which makes breathing hard for me, what I do is walk at a brisk pace 1-2 miles a day around a track outside of the gym then I go in and do weight machines and i do squats and also planking and sit ups for my belly. I'm an impatient person and I wish I was seeing more results right now but it's not been too long (3-4 months) and I need to take it one day at a time.
    Thanks for the encouragement celticclass69 :)
  • thecraftinista
    thecraftinista Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am the same height and same starting weight (although was even heavier in the past) and it sounds like we are built the same as I have super muscular legs but most of my weight is around my stomach.

A few years ago I lost a bunch of weight but it slowly all came back so I decided at the beginning of this year that I had to do something about it. 4 weeks down and I've already lost 22lbs.

I take it one day at a time and celebrate my accomplishments without punishing myself if I mess up. If I can do it, so can you!
  • cotewalter
    cotewalter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It does take patience. Not always easy but for me just seeing some results as little as they may have been kept me going. It took a while for me to get overweight and took a bit to get rid of it. MFP and my being able to have patience helped me to lose my weight. Now I am here trying to maintain it. For me It is about being healthy and staying that way. My blood sugar was too high and BP was also a bit high. Since I have lost what I did, my blood sugar is normal without medication and I have great BP and resting heart rate. It is awesome that you are here and there are lots of people here to help. just stick with it and you will see results. Peace!!
  • MissShivs
    Options
    I'm 21 and 5'6 at 187 lbs. I've managed to lose 11 lbs since november, but I've always been overweight and I'm really worried about yoyo-ing. I think it's great that everyone here has decided to make a change, it really gives me hope for myself!
  • bluesdivaca
    bluesdivaca Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Why do I want to lose weight? Where to begin? My entire closet is calling my name but I don't fit in it. I am worried about long-term effects of my obesity. Today - I am learning to just take it minute by minute a lot of the time.
  • hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I'm 25 and I have pretty much always been overweight as well, was made fun of in school, always passed up by the guys I had a crush on (even sometimes for girls just as big). I guess I just had that "outcast" quality that made people act that way, maybe because I tried too hard to be liked, or at least that's what one of those boys told me through a friend. Anyway, I tried WW in high school and lost 30 lbs, which at the time got me down to 199 and that was the lowest weight I've been and the only time I've been in ONEderland since I was about 13-14. After that I gained it all back and throughout the years of binge/emotional eating I managed to gain another 40 on top of it. I finally found a different way of eating I started Dec 22 that has changed my whole relationship with food and eliminated my cravings and hunger. I seriously don't feel tempted to eat bad anymore and that is an awesome feeling! I have a boyfriend who I've been with for 4 years and he has been very supportive. He has admitted that at times my eating habits have put him off and that has made me feel really guilty, so even though I am doing this for myself and my health, I'm excited to show him that I can overcome my past habits and become the healthy, shapely wife that he can be proud of and we can spend many many more years together, especially since he's quit smoking! :) Cheers! You can do it!!!
  • sahead710
    Options
    Thanks! I appreciate it yeah I also have a supportive boyfriend he tells me that he would love me just the same if I was the same, gained or lost, (although he admitted he'd worry for my health if I gained any significant amount) so it really helps and I know I'm doing this for me and not to please anyone else. But I'm with you I want to show my bf that I can do it too! I love that you said ONEderland! I haven't been there in years maybe since I was 17 jeez. I'd love to be back there again!!
  • jessicae197
    jessicae197 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm 25 and at 226 pounds. I started exercise and eating better in January but I'm not using it as a New Years cliche I need to stick with it this time. I've been overweight my whole life, have tried many times to lose weight but never succeeded. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety and I realized my food intake and unhealthy living in general had so much to do with it so I need to change! I've lost 8 pounds since January working out 3x/week! Looking for motivators as well so I will add you now :)
  • sahead710
    Options
    That's awesome go you! Your story sounds really similar to mine tho depression really throws a wrench in my operation but I know what to do and how to help myself when I have episodes! Thanks for the add :)
  • cbradley903
    cbradley903 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am older then all of you but wanted to let you know I too can relate it does not know an age. I have legs of a body builder work at a y teach classes and know all the right things to do but I have been the chunky of the family most of my life. I would like to have some friends that understand it does not know an age. I was on a medication that caused my liver to have a high reading but in my heart I know it is the weight. I am learning to eat cleaner. Got a Misfit shine and do a lot of water aerobics I have lost 20 lbs I can not do the diet thing it has an end I have been there too many times and back. I need a change in my way of life. I don't want to feel like I am carting around an extra person. I have so many people in my classes that come to me for health reasons. So here I am wanting myself to help me and anyone else to stay motivated. I work out several times a week now not just my water classes. I do feel better but I want more. I can tell you if workin out is hard for anyone I would recommend the water as a starting point. Low impact and support. As well as resistance. Good luck with each of you as we all have a journey that needs to be reached.