Should I take protein powder?

Options
My macros are always a low on protein, roughly 15%, should I start adding protein powder to my meals?
I don't work out.. are you only meant to use protein powder if you work out?

Or what are other easy (low cal) ways to boost protein intake?
I already eat eggs, chicken, turkey, avocado, sweet potato, bananas.

Thank you :)

Replies

• DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I like protein because it helps to keep me full. Low cal protein, dannon has a light Greek yogurt that is 80 cals for 12 grams of protein. Egg whites ring in at around 17 cals per 4 grams of protein. Good protein powder is usually going to be 130 calories for around 24 to 25 grams of protein. So it packs a good punch for the amount of calories consumed to amount of protein provided.

Navy beans and lentils are another source. Edamame and green peas as well.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    DeliVibes wrote: »
    My macros are always a low on protein, roughly 15%, should I start adding protein powder to my meals?

If you are having trouble hitting your protein macros without going over on the others, then yes. It's protein, not an anabolic steroid.
  • hdrenollet
    hdrenollet Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I add a daily protein supplement on most days because my protein was consistently low for the amount of exercise that I do. Since I started, I feel a lot better and my workouts are getting easier.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    DeliVibes wrote: »

You can supplement with protein or you can eat more high protein foods...FYI, bananas, sweet potato, and avocado aren't particularly rich sources of protein...eat more meat. Otherwise, you can supplement if you want to. Really, it's all pretty irrelevant to losing weight, but a higher protein intake is going to help you preserve lean mass and likely keep you feeling fuller.
  • DeliVibes
    DeliVibes Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Sweet thanks for the information everyone!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    It's all about what will get you to your goals. I don't do protein powder because I get to my goals by eating protein-rich foods. That approach just works for me, but there's nothing wrong with using powder to get there.
  • superexcellently
    superexcellently Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/11/23/paleo-breakfast-sausage-scotch-eggs/

I make these with 700g of lean pork mince instead of 500g of ground, 30g of protein per scotch egq according to MFP. They are awesome for breakfast too as it states.

Also, you don't need to work out to have protein powder, I use to have a shake as a snack. The powder I use has balanced Macros and lots of added vitamins and minerals.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is just that, it's just protein. There's no rule to take it around a workout or not. Take it as you need.

I love protein powders when I'm in a pinch, or on the road. Easy calories and protein.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder during the work week b/c it helps me get close/meet my protein macros. I can get close/meet it on the weekend without much problem b/c I actually have time to make breakfast in the morning on the weekend. Not so much during the work week.
  • pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I also found that I was low in protein. I could switch to egg for breakfast, but then my cholesterol was high. I have some protein power at work that I mix with milk for an afternoon boost. I don't go over my calories for the day and it keeps the protein/fat/carbs mix in the right zone.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yes if you're not able to meet your protein for the day ... But remember try to get the Mac from whole foods