Bad Logic or Okay Idea

Options
Bad Idea or okay idea:
I went way over on my calories this weekend (Super Bowl + Small vacation). So for this week, should I eat majorly under the calories I ate over?
Like, a normal day I eat 1200. This weekend I ate around 2000 a day. Should I spend time trying to cut back those extra 1600 calories throughout this upcoming week? Like cut out another 200 every day? Or just forget about them and let it slide?
I understand this is likely a n00b question. If you want to insult me, that's fine, I just would like an honest answer to an honest question. Thanks!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'd just let it slide. You're already on low calories and further restricting might backfire. You're in this for the long game, and if you have a low-loss week, you know why.

Alternatively, you could try burning a few more calories a day but still eating your normal amount. That's what I'd probably do.

BTW, if the math is accurate 1600 calories = less than half a lb of potential fat gain.
  • pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I agree with Alatariel75, the best thing is to just focus on achieving your daily goals. My philosophy is that every day is a new day. What I did yesterday doesn't count any more, and what I plan for tomorrow is just fantasy. Take care of yourself today and don't feel deprived or like you need to punish yourself.
  • Luvable84v
    Luvable84v Posts: 28 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Don't under eat. Just wipe the slate clean, brush yourself off and carry on! Drastically under eating is NEVER the answer! Thats why when we fall off diets we put more weight on then what we started with :-)
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I agree with the two previous posters...let it slide. Part of this journey is learning when to sweat it and when to let go. When to accept that what is done is done, and how to plan ahead for times like the SuperBowl and vacations. Those are all part of life. You want to be able to enjoy those times and work them into your new lifestyle. It takes time and practice. Let it go. Maybe exercise a little more than you originally planned. If not, no biggie.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Meh. Let it slide. Superbowl is only once a year, and as long as you're not doing that every day, it's not really going to affect anything. I went on vacation this past year for 3 weeks and didn't track or watched what I ate and I did okay. Life happens. Just get back on it the next day and don't worry too much about it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above posters...maybe exercise a little more. Fact is there is ALWAYS going to be a "Superbowl" lurking in the distance...invitations to parties, weddings, church suppers, going out to dinner. These will crop up from time to time. Enjoy yourself (in moderation of course! Don't like, go total binge and devour everything in sight! LOL) and then just be careful the rest of the time.

And realize that it is okay to relax once in a blue moon and enjoy. You didn't get overweight by indulging on a holiday or special event. You got overweight by overindulging many (most? every) days.

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    agratzy wrote: »
    Bad Idea or okay idea:
    I went way over on my calories this weekend (Super Bowl + Small vacation). So for this week, should I eat majorly under the calories I ate over?
    Like, a normal day I eat 1200. This weekend I ate around 2000 a day. Should I spend time trying to cut back those extra 1600 calories throughout this upcoming week? Like cut out another 200 every day? Or just forget about them and let it slide?
    I understand this is likely a n00b question. If you want to insult me, that's fine, I just would like an honest answer to an honest question. Thanks!

As long as you don't perceive a differing opinion as an insult like so many seem to do here, you'll do just fine fitting in.

What the others have said before me.
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    you have to eat an excess of 3500 calories to even gain one pound. I say let it slide and just be diligent in staying within your calorie goals daily until the next time. In my opinion splurging is important to not feel so deprived and like you cannot partake in social events. Just make sure that your splurges are not frequent!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    you have to eat an excess of 3500 calories to even gain one pound. I say let it slide and just be diligent in staying within your calorie goals daily until the next time. In my opinion splurging is important to not feel so deprived and like you cannot partake in social events. Just make sure that your splurges are not frequent!

just to clarify, it's an excess of 3500 calories over a maintenance level of calories.

OP...just move on. This is just one of many reasons why weight loss isn't linear. Also, you're going to be much happier in the long run when you realize these little hiccups are pretty my irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

• agratzy
    agratzy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You're all awesome!!! Thanks!!!