Should I eat more

Options
I have been on a diet and exercise regime for about a month, and have lost about 8kg, over the weekend I like to exercise a lot. My intake on average is 1500cal, and I might exercise 2000cal leaving me with a negative.... I feel better than ever, and am getting fit extremely quickly. However don't want to risk eating away at new muscles. For the rest of the week I'm eating 1500 exercising 600... Is this all good while loosing weight? Will increase intake once fat is gone... Any advice please.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I have been on a diet and exercise regime for about a month, and have lost about 8kg, over the weekend I like to exercise a lot. My intake on average is 1500cal, and I might exercise 2000cal leaving me with a negative.... I feel better than ever, and am getting fit extremely quickly. However don't want to risk eating away at new muscles. For the rest of the week I'm eating 1500 exercising 600... Is this all good while loosing weight? Will increase intake once fat is gone... Any advice please.

Whoa, what?!? What kind of exercise do you do to burn that much? Are you sure it is accurate?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    It's your call, of course, but 1500 calories/day sounds a little low for an active adult male. Just skimming a few days worth of your diary quickly, it seem like your protein goal is a little low if you're concerned with maintaining muscle.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should definitely eat more! If you are burning 600 calories a day, I'd up your calories to AT LEAST 2100. 1500 is pretty low for a dude, even before exercise calories are deducted.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Your burns are very high, how are you calculating them?
    To answer your question, yes, you should be eating a portion of your exercise calories back.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You need to fuel your body with the amount of exercise you do!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are way to low. Should be losing 0.5-2 lbs/week. Probably losing muscle mass at that deficit, although perhaps not with the amount of activity.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    joneallen wrote: »
    You need to fuel your body with the amount of exercise you do!

Yes...part of being healthy and fit is understanding how to fuel your fitness and other activities and balancing that out with your weight control goals. Failure to properly fuel your fitness can ultimately lead to recovery issues and injury among other things.

If you're doing the MFP method, you want to be really careful in your burn estimates and eating back calories. If you're consistent in your exercise you might want to consider a TDEE calculator and customizing your goals here...basically include an estimate of your exercise along with your other daily activity to arrive at your maintenance level and then you cut from that...I would recommend a more reasonable cut than the one you're on now.

I'm oldish and cut steadily at a rate of about 1 Lb per week with a gross intake around 2300 calories or so...you can eat more and have successful weight loss and fuel that fitness properly.
  • andorian2015
    andorian2015 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use a wahoo heart rate monitor for my calories burned, and 2000 is just a solid hike through hill country. Will increase my intake. Thanks for the advice appreciate it!