Packaged Meals

Options
TwiFan5
TwiFan5 Posts: 419 Member
Most of my dinners throughout the week for now at least until I get better at cooking because the rest of my family mainly live of take away so I have packaged meals e.g. McCain, Lean Cuisine and a few others, I was wondering if they are ok for me or if they are actually bad for my health and weight?

Thank you

Replies

• makeachange22
    makeachange22 Posts: 151
    Options
    i've been eating them, whne my family isnt home to cook so maybe once or twice a week for dinner and they do not affect my weightloss personally, though it could be different for you . try weight watchers meals, or meals with less sodium, your not soposed to eat processed foods but now a days what isnt processed?
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Be very careful to read the labels on the ones you buy...they can have lots of unhealthy ingrediants and the sodium in some can be especially high :)
  • jennlee80
    jennlee80 Posts: 142
    Options
    You have to be careful when eating packaged stuff! Usually the sodium is REALLY high! Plus most everything is processed. I know not being much of a cook can be frustrating starting out. But it can be so positive for weight loss!
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm eating them frequently now as well because I'm in the process of moving. When I've had to eat them frequently before, I've made sure to drink lots of water and add a fresh/frozen fruit/vegetable to the meal to balance it out (at least in my head) Those steam in bag veggies have been pretty great so far. Plus the fruits/veggies have more water in them to help against all the sodium in the meals! (oh, and they are totally on sale at Target this week...)

I've eaten them on and off for the past 3 years and I've also been losing weight for the past 3 years so it hasn't hurt my efforts
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a really big factor in packaged food. I have found Amy's Kitchen foods to be a really good option though. I generally eat one meal each day from a packaged source due to my schedule, and try to take the time to make simple foods at home when I can.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I always have a few Lean Cuisines around for days that I'm really busy and don't have time to cook. The biggest issue is the sodium, but if you manage sodium in the rest of your day you can easily fit the sodium of a forzen meal into your plan.

One thing you might want to try is to prepare a package of chicken breasts on the weekend or on a night that you have a little free time, then put them in the fridge. You can reheat them very quickly in the microwave as the main part of your dinner or lunch during the week.
  • Kjarlune
    Kjarlune Posts: 178
    Options
    I am pretty sure everyone is different, but for me I know that too much sugar and I do not loose weight...Most packaged meals have crazy amounts of sugar...
  • nevilles
    nevilles Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think they are fine to eat, and it helps that the calories and other nutritional info are easy to find and log. Just continue to stick to your goals for calories and exercise! Good luck.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I think they are ok in moderation. I'd much rather eat a lean cuisine when I'm working a long shift at the mall than walk to the food court and take in 1000+ calories as there is nothing there that is edible....