Do I work out too hard?

Options
Do I exercise too hard? Today I did a treadmill work out.

I start by running at 5 mph for two minutes, then I bump the speed to 5.5 mph for one minute, then bump it up to 6 mph for one minute, and then I walk at 3.5 mph for one minute. I repeat this for 40 minutes.

My HRM said I burned 700 calories. Some have told me I shouldn't do intense cardio when trying to lose weight. My average heart rate during this workout was 129 bpm. I do cardio 4 times a week with different workouts, but usually about this level of intensity.

Thoughts?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Does it feel like you're working out too hard?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't know, it's really all very relative to your current fitness level and goals. Personally, I'd say you're probably fine...but I'd throw in some resistance work of some kind as well.

I think that maybe this "some" of people you are talking about are misinterpreting information or don't have a complete and working knowledge of the information that they're trying to edumicate you on...
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    garn64 wrote: »
    Some have told me I shouldn't do intense cardio when trying to lose weight.

You'll burn fat faster with high intensity intervals vs a steady, slower pace. I'd suggest adding strength training three times a week which will help shape your body and preserve muscle mass while losing weight.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Based on your average heart rate, you're not working too hard. 129 is in the middle of the target range for your age.

Cardio does help with weight loss, and it looks like you're doing a type of interval workout which is even better than steady state cardio. The key is to work hard during the work interval and walk just long enough to recover and do it again.
  • missimplicity
    missimplicity Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If your body can handle it, then I think you're fine, although, in the true nature of HIIT, you should walk longer in order to let your heart rate recover a bit....so say one minute intense, 2 minutes moderate/recovery speed. In any event, I agree with adding strength/weights to your routine as well so that you're building muscle which also burns fat. Good luck!
  • garn64
    garn64 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I love intense workouts so it feels like I am working out hard, but I wouldn't consider it too hard. I just don't want to hinder my weight loss.

• garn64
    Options
    I love all of your suggestions. Thanks!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I love intense workouts so it feels like I am working out hard, but I wouldn't consider it too hard. I just don't want to hinder my weight loss.

You won't, but you should have a strength training routine as well to help you maintain as much muscle mass as possible.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Depends on your age and fitness. What is your percieved level of effort on a scale from 1-10 ? Maybe looking at doing a max heart rate test if you want a measured assessment more then a guesstimate.

Just to illustrate the huge diffrence you can get. A 50 yo in decent health could find 129bpm to be below his recovery rate. For you that might be a spirited effort. Take the test.
  • garn64
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    Depends on your age and fitness. What is your percieved level of effort on a scale from 1-10 ?

129 is my average..in each interval I peak around 150. I would say I am at a 7-8 by the end of the 4 minutes of running.

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    How quickly does your heart rate return to near normal on your "resting" intervals? 700 seems high to me - but perhaps it's based on your current weight?

I'll echo the advice on lifting - I've run for years and all it did was give me nice legs - lifting has allowed me to maintain a better looking and stronger physique while I lose weight.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    Some have told me I shouldn't do intense cardio when trying to lose weight.

You'll burn fat faster with high intensity intervals vs a steady, slower pace. I'd suggest adding strength training three times a week which will help shape your body and preserve muscle mass while losing weight.

nothing like a low intensity steady state cardio for a good calorie burn though.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If your body isn't objecting, then go for it!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    So you aren't even doing an hour a day?

I think that is fine, though you may need to mix running with other activities just because it is so high-impact.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You're more than fine. We're about the same age and weight and my average heart rate is higher than 129 on a brisk walk. Truly high intensity would be in the roughly 180-200BPM range, which is where I end up during intense HIIT.

One word of advice, if you're eating back your exercise calories I'd scrutinize that 700 calorie number. That is a ridiculously high burn for only 40 minutes at only 129BPM average. Something's getting miscalculated there. I'd estimate roughly 500, TOPS for that session.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What wolfman said. Too hard? depends, but probably not.
    700 seems high, but along with what japlo said it depends on weight.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Your hrm is lying about the calories. It's not configured for the interval rest periods.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Do I exercise too hard? Today I did a treadmill work out.

I start by running at 5 mph for two minutes, then I bump the speed to 5.5 mph for one minute, then bump it up to 6 mph for one minute, and then I walk at 3.5 mph for one minute. I repeat this for 40 minutes.

My HRM said I burned 700 calories. Some have told me I shouldn't do intense cardio when trying to lose weight. My average heart rate during this workout was 129 bpm. I do cardio 4 times a week with different workouts, but usually about this level of intensity.

Thoughts?

But did you die?

No?

Probably fine.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You're not burning that many calories at that heart rate. Are using a HRM that gives you the net or gross estimated calories?