Running Advice Please - Shin Spints issues :-(

Options
Eviesmum
Eviesmum Posts: 270 Member
I was training to do a 5K and was doing the Couch to 5K - which I finished and was finding running 30 minutes fine. Last week though I was continuing my training and I got shin splints down the right side of my right shin. I went to the doctors and she said painkillers and rest. I rested most of last week. I tried to run again this morning and I could only run 5 or so minutes.

My race is next weekend, Does anyone have any tips on how I can still do it?

I know that my 30 minutes target is now a complete fantasy :sad:

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I can only jog at about 5MPH for 1min, then I have to stop and take a break :x
  • Sharonbed4d
    Sharonbed4d Posts: 163
    Options
    I've had shin splints and ran a marathon with them although that goes against what someone should do but I'm stubborn. Shin splints are normally caused by going too far too fast and not having proper fitted shoes. Besides rest, you can ice your shins and stretch, stretch and stretch. If you still insist on doing your race, run/walk it and don't worry about time. Best of luck.
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I had the same issues when training for my 8k 2 weeks ago. These are a GOD SEND!

http://www.zensah.com/compression-leg-sleeves.html
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I get these too. People have told me to do the alphabet with my toes 3x before running & also to ice the shins after a run.
  • tmontgomery69
    tmontgomery69 Posts: 180
    Options
    Usually they are caused from not having the proper shoe support for your feet. If you have a shoe/running store in town that will put you on a treadmill and watch you run, I would do that. They watch how your feet impact the treadmill or the ground to see what type of support shoe your feet need. That's what I did years ago, and it's helped a TON. =)
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Did you get properly fitted for running shoes before you started the program? If not, you could be running in the wrong type of shoe for you. If you did get fitted, go back to the store and tell them what the problem is. I think that if you rest this week, you should be fine for the race. You may have to walk some if you start hurting but there is nothing wrong with taking a walk break.
  • calcote05
    calcote05 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Did you change the surface that you normally run on? I kept shin splints when I first started running, but they went away. I only get them now when I change running surfaces. Just keep your feet low to the ground and try not to "pound" the pavement! Good luck!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    It's not always about the shoe. Sometimes it can just be from the lack of stretching. Last Wednesday I had to stop during my run and stretch my legs because my shins hurt pretty bad. I ran Saturday and didn't have any problems.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch the calves, and new shoes helped me.
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I also vote for getting the right shoe, it made a huge difference for me. You may also consider a run/walk routine for your workouts. You are less prone to injury when you do a run walk and it doesn't hurt your time as much as you might think. I did 6 miles on saturday in 60 min and I took several 1 minute walk breaks during the run. I was able to run a faster pace during my running portions and so things evened out.
    Check out Jeff Galloway's book on running. He's a big advocate of walk breaks and I believe he was an olympic distance runner.
  • jeepzilla
    jeepzilla Posts: 201
    Options
    I hated to run because of shin splits try this a few times works wonders for me.. before you run take one foot the toe and place it on something I use my wheel on my jeep so your foot will be at a angle then lean forward you should feel a pulling on the shin. if your doing it right do both feet and then run this will take some time but after a while no more hurting... today when I get home Ill post a picture of what i'm talking about if your not sure..
  • cortneyj1
    cortneyj1 Posts: 4
    Options
    The suggestion to do the alphabet it good! I always make sure I stretch good a couple times a day. Stand on one leg raise your other and do 30 seconds of waving up and down with your foot, then 30 seconds rotating it clockwise and 30 seconds counter clockwise. Then do the other foot. I can do this at my desk and I run 3-4 times a weeks +/- 2.5 miles and have not had any problems. Proper fitting sneaks and running style are also very important. Keep at it and good luck.
  • godsgirl82
    godsgirl82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've had shin splints in BOTH my legs my whole life. I played softball for years and was told to ice and stretch them before and after running (practice) I noticed a big difference when I did that and wrapped them while running. Not much you can do but the more you run the better it gets. I commend you on doing it though. Right now I can't run even 30 minutes without having unbearable shin splint pain. :sad:
    My advice: ice them, stretch really good and wrap them while you run. Afterwards use a heating pad. Hope this helps and CONGRATS. Don't let it get you down or keep it from allowing you to accomplish your race. Like the other person said, if you have to run/walk then so be it, the important thing is that you FINISH!
    Whoo hoo! Go you, go you! lol
    Blessings to you!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Don't panic, a very large number of beginner runners get shin splints soon after they start out. There's not always something wrong, sometimes it's just getting used to a new action.

If you have properly fitted shoes, the first thing to look at is your running style. A lot of beginners try an exaggerated heel-to-toe landing. That constant lifting up your toes can cause the muscles in the front of your legs to hurt. A lot! Try landing in a more natural mid-foot style if that suits you. Google it for some tips.

A great stretch after running is to take your shoes off and kneel down, with the top of your feet on the floor.

Before the race, you need to RICE - Rest your legs, Ice them, use Compression (with a bandage or tubigrip) and Elevate them - put them on a stool when sitting. If you're not 100% sure they're fixed, you're better off not going running again before the race.

On the day of the race, watch your style and take it easy. It's better to plan a one-minute walk break every five minutes rather than run until you're hurt and walking the rest of the way.

Good luck!
  • Eviesmum
    Eviesmum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for the advice everyone. Its just odd its one leg, the other one hurt during week 3 of the C25K but that's been fine since then.

Just to add I did have my shoes fitted properly, I had to run on a machine for a while then they suggested the trainers for me. I've had them a few years now though.

Looks like I've got to stretch better then and maybe compress the shin :smile:

6 days to go.
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem after I started running. I read to draw the alphabet with your feet, but after a week the shin splints returned. A friend gave me this site with more stretches. They have worked wonders. Hope it helps, good luck!!

http://www.self.com/fitness/blogs/freshfitnesstips/2011/05/4-shin-splint-solutions-and-st.html
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you've had your shoes for a few years, you really should look into getting a new pair. I don't know how much, far or often you run, but I think the advice is to get new shoes every year/at least every other year.

A new pair of shoes took care of my shin splints. :-)
  • JoeKrueger
    JoeKrueger Posts: 4
    Options
    Shoes and stretching the lower leg will solve your problem for sure. I was able to buy Nike Max Air running shoes for $55 and my problem went away. I know a lot of people that have gone to a high end shoe store and got measured and fitted. They spend about $160 a pair, but say it is well worth it. It you run alot, I would agree that it is worth the investment. I even know one guy that tracks the milage on his shoes and replaces them accordingly.
  • catcher_in_the_pie
    catcher_in_the_pie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Please take care and pay close attention to your shins. Shin splints can cause stress fractures and that will definitely end your running season early.

Ice your shins and stretch. Try running on a dirt path.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are often caused from a lack of cushioning when you run. I suffered from shin splints when I was on the gymnastics team for my high school because we practiced a lot on bare floors with bare feet and ran vault on a cement floor. I used to get wrapped every day before practice and then I'd ice down in this super cold solution afterward. The only thing that really helped was the off season. :laugh:

If it's been a few years since you bought your shoes, you really need to replace them. I'm betting that will fix the whole problem. The insides of the shoes break down after months of wear and they no longer provide the cushioning and support you need. I know long distance runners have to replace theirs every few months.