High Fiber Intake, possible without a supplement?

Options
2»

Replies

• Phaewryn
    Phaewryn Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! That is exactly what I needed to know, and will probably be a HUGE help!
    TinaBaily wrote: »
    Regarding the fiber amounts in the data banks of MFP, when you want to enter something into your diary, look for the entries that do NOT have an asterisk beside them. Those are the most accurate as far as calories and macros go, and they seem to match the USDA information given on their website. I trust that data. The asterisked entries were input by users and may not be accurate. Lentils are LOADED with fiber, which is what brought me to mention that. I think you have to find the accurate lentil information by entering "lentils raw" and you'll get the correct information.

• Phaewryn
    Options
    And I just realized that there IS a tiny tiny little link to view the nutritional info when adding a new food! Excellent, thank you everyone for your help! I now have the info I need to log my foods accurately here! I just didn't see that teeny tiny blue link on the "add food" panel. Now I will grab my boxes/labels and verify that the ones I added are indeed correct.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I like the poop I produce when I take psyllium husk. I'm going to be a happy pooper when my surgeon says I can return to taking it. :embarassed:

Quest bars are one of my go to fiber additions on days when I'm low.

Pretty much fruits and veggies... sweet potatoes, broccoli, carrots, kiwi, strawberries. Though I do make kidney beans and black beans every week or two for various recipes (chili).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Phaewryn wrote: »
    I eat beans, and a lot of lentils, according to this website's food logger, those do not have enough fiber. I really wish that the foods showed the nutritional panel when adding foods to my log, as it could be that whomever input the item didn't get the details correct.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Easily. Beans would be a good addition.

I don't know. I am often over 30 grams and pretty much always at least close to 30 and I don't eat beans as much as I should, generally don't eat grains much (other than occasional oatmeal), and never eat any of the flax seed, bran type additions. Plus I hate cold cereal, so never eat the high fiber versions of that.

I do occasionally eat a Quest bar, but usually end up way over 30 when I do (or when I eat beans).

Most of mine are from fruits and veggies (and on occasion oatmeal, which only has about 5 grams in my brand).

So if you are finding it hard I'm wondering if you are using the right entries when logging. Make sure you use the non asterisk USDA entries from MFP for fruits and veggies (they look like "raspberries, raw," with no brand name, of course).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    (Oh, I just saw that someone had already given you that information. If that's the deal it will help a lot with your potassium numbers too.)
  • CoachKatya
    CoachKatya Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yes, it is possible! And looks like many people already provided great suggestions. I just want to add that ALL plants have fiber and ALL animal products have 0 fiber. So... All you need if more plants! :smile: and may be less meat / chicken / eggs etc. Also, it is important to eat fiber rich foods rather than just using a supplement. According to Dr. Fuhrman (one of my heroes :blush: ) "Fiber can be isolated and taken as a supplement or added to a processed food, but these are not the recommended ways to get your fiber. Although fiber itself has beneficial properties, fiber-rich whole foods come packaged with disease-fighting phytochemicals. There have been inconsistencies in the results of studies on fiber and colorectal cancer, probably because it appears to be high-fiber foods, not fiber alone that reduces risk."
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I average more than 30 each day. Sometimes much more:
    Plants, plants plants, seeds, legumes, and the occasional whole intact grain get me what I need.
    Definitely look for the non-asterisk (*) entries as was noted. Some folks add to the public database with just calorie counts. grr.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Good grief @CoachKatya‌, self promotion is not permitted. Enough already.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    In addition to the beans and oats and Quest bars that others have suggested, nuts are helpful, too.
  • Phaewryn
    Options
    (Oh, I just saw that someone had already given you that information. If that's the deal it will help a lot with your potassium numbers too.)

Yep, that was the problem! I was using bad user-submitted info! I also figured out where to edit them, and contacted the maker of my main grain products (Bob's Red Mill) to ask for their complete nutrient panels, and they will be emailing those to me, when they do, I will add them all to the site. Apparently I was eating a LOT more potassium than I thought, it's just not on the label, nor are about 30 other things in it that I wasn't getting credit for eating any of!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if it is possible to get 30 grams fiber in a daily diet with food alone? Or does that high of a fiber intake require supplementation with a fiber source (like Metamucil, Citrucel, Benefiber, etc)? I am adding ground flax seed to all my cereals already, and I do eat vegetables (plus I only use whole grain starches like whole wheat flour, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc, and all my baked goods have additional oat bran, wheat bran, and flax added), but I'm still not reaching my above 28 grams of fiber per day goal.

Yeah dude, Im a vegetarian. I dont even track fiber anymore, Its always 30g plus.
  • Phaewryn
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who helped! Seems I have it worked out now! Thank you!
  • rcottonrph1
    Options
    Yes. It is quite easy if you limit processed food and eat a lot of fruits, veggies, beans, nuts, seeds, and whole grains. As many mentioned, Quest bars make a tasty and high protein/high fiber snack.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Prunes, prune juice, or any dried fruit. Just watch the calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Yep, that was the problem! I was using bad user-submitted info! I also figured out where to edit them, and contacted the maker of my main grain products (Bob's Red Mill) to ask for their complete nutrient panels, and they will be emailing those to me, when they do, I will add them all to the site. Apparently I was eating a LOT more potassium than I thought, it's just not on the label, nor are about 30 other things in it that I wasn't getting credit for eating any of!

GRRR for the lame user submitted info!