Having trouble letting go...

I don't know if I have a mental block or what! I was a member of weight watchers, I just cancelled my subscription and decided I should just stick with MFP because things here make sense. And then, I let my brain attack itself and I think about how things on WW might make sense too. There's things I like about both plans and things I don't like as well. The more the battle rages on as to which one I should stick with, the longer my body is stuck in limbo because I'm not just focused on losing the weight and eating healthy. I need some help/suggestions on which plan is the better plan and which I should stick with.

BTW - I was only paying $19/month for WW because I only did it online.

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    i'm cheap and never tried ww, but i lost lots of weight using mfp. why spend $19 if you don't have to?
  • Can you use some of the things from ww in this program? I think there is not just one way to do things. Use the things that make sense to you and go with some of each. What i do is write on a oaoer the pros and cons and see if ine is signifacantly better suited to you and go with that.
  • katiaburelle
    katiaburelle Posts: 4 Member
    I was with WW since 2011, lost 35 lbs in 6 months and have been on a plateau until this January (2 weeks ago). I cancelled WW and joined MFP and it's working very well for now. I felt deprived on WW and was always thinking "How can I make this recipe worth less points". I ended up cutting in the fat usually. With MFP, I saw that I was not eating enough fat and protein, and that could explain why I was always starving on WW ('cause 26 WW PP of "non fruits and veggies" is clearly not enough for me, even 29 was not enough - and I eat easily 5-7 servings of fruits and veggies every day !). Also, I was "cheating" WW PP. Like if something was worth 1PP, I was looking for "How much can I eat and still be at 1PP ?". Maybe I was ending with 5-10 extra "hidden" points every day (might explain the plateau... ahem). With MFP you cannot cheat if you log everything. And I am not focussing on cutting on fat anymore. I discovered that fat is really satisfying in fact, as long as you are respecting your macros. And I did not feel hungry ONCE since I was on MFP !!!! At all !

So... I won't go back to WW. Ever. And I do not get to pay 20$ a month to use MFP. That's a plus !
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    I've never tried WW, but I know a LOT of people who have. They swear by it while they are in the program, but don't lose very much weight because they can't stick with it. Then they quit and gain back whatever small amount of weight they lost plus some. Perhaps that's why I never tried it!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Your profile/ticker isn't visible, so, please excuse me while I do that thing where "when you assume..."

Is it possible your brain is leveraging the WW vs MFP systems as a way to keep yourself stalled? The system doesn't make or break success. YOU do.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Your profile/ticker isn't visible, so, please excuse me while I do that thing where "when you assume..."

Is it possible your brain is leveraging the WW vs MFP systems as a way to keep yourself stalled? The system doesn't make or break success. YOU do.

^^This
    'Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated'
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Actually - I know it sounds crazy, but I track my food on MFP, and I convert the info to points on WW. WW allows me a little more on calories, so that's my range - MFP is low, and WW is high end of range. There are benefits to both. I think if any weight loss plan could integrate into their website MFP stuff, then they'd all be UNBELIEVABLE AWESOME!!

There are definitely things I like about both, and I use those aspects, and focus on those. Focus on what helps and forget the rest.
  • countrylove12
    countrylove12 Posts: 53 Member

^^This
    'Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated'
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

Thank you.

I needed that!!
  • mizztanjo
    mizztanjo Posts: 153 Member
    MFP is fantastic! I know a ton of people who've done WW and it worked really well for them, but really any diet will if you stick to it. The bonus with MFP is that you have TONS of support and it's free....and you make your own rules :wink: But in this case you must decide what works best for you. You've tried WW, so try out MFP for a bit and see if it works out better. If not, you can always re-subscribe to WW, right?