Running a 5K every month!

Options
indygal76
indygal76 Posts: 283 Member
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi there! I plan to run a 5k race every month of the year in 2015!! Just curious if anyone else has sit this goal for the year.

I run 6-9 miles each week. I will increase my mileage along with the weather. I am not a fan of running on the treadmill! I have been running 3 miles 2x a week when I can catch a break with the cold weather!

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I think that's a great goal - but why not adjust that so by the end of the year you are running 10k?

You'll find you get comfortable at the distance pretty quickly if you are training appropriately. By way of comparison - I run 5k twice a week - but that has become the standard for me.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    DO you mean a race 5k every month? Or just running the distance?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

I was going to ask the same thing...

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I assume you mean running a 5K 'race' every month? That is an admirable goal. Around here you might have a long drive some months to get to a 5K race.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I haven't raced a 5k since April 2013.
  • indygal76
    Options
    I run 6-9 miles every week! I just want to do a 5K race every month to see how much I improve each race!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    I haven't raced a 5k since April 2013.

I think my last official 5k race was in April 2011. I hate them. Too fast, at the edge of aerobic threshold, ready to puke at any moment for it all to be over in <20 minutes.

I'll race a half marathon any day though. Just no more shorter stuff please!

• kimhere
    kimhere Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My son and I race a 5k a month. We started when he was 10. He is now running the 10k and I still run the 5k. I'm not a great runner, I take my time but we have fun!
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am running a 5k race a month, but will also be doing a 10k and half this year as well. I think it is a great goal, and I think you should increase it as you feel comfortable. Have fun with it!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of runners here that run 2-3 races a week. You might want to check into some of the groups. You will find some good support there for you goal.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    sounds expensive/ why not try to run 100 miles a month instead?
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    That is my goal from April through November, with the November one being a 5 mile Turkey Trot. I'm currently doing the c25k program and I'm hoping the races will keep me motivated!
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Do you have Park Run? I'm not sure if its a UK thing?
    Its basically a free friendly timed 5km each week around a local park.
    You sign up, print out your barcode and you all start at the same time, when you complete it they scan your barcode to get your time. Its on the internet in the afternoon.
    Might be worth investigating?
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    alysme wrote: »
    Do you have Park Run? I'm not sure if its a UK thing?
    Its basically a free friendly timed 5km each week around a local park.
    You sign up, print out your barcode and you all start at the same time, when you complete it they scan your barcode to get your time. Its on the internet in the afternoon.
    Might be worth investigating?

I was going to suggest a parkrun too.
    They are available in Australia too, every Saturday at 8am in my state.
    According to the parkrun site, parkruns are held in 9 different countries including the USA. Hmm then again, seems parkrun is only held in 4 parks across the US, so probably not a option for the OP.
  • rsb1023
    rsb1023 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I started the c25k last October & ran my first 5k in January I also plan on doing a 5k race every month this year. I was running 3 times a week but like you with the cold weather I'm currently running twice a week. I also don't like running on the treadmill.
  • indygal76
    Options
    I plan to run a 10K and my 2nd half marathon in October! I like running 5ks to help support great causes, so the money part doesn't hurt too much when I know it's a great cause! :)