Help! Gaining fat,losing muscles

Options
Hi, I'm 27 years old, 110 pounds 5 ft 2 in. I've lost about 60 pounds in 2014 and I'm looking at maintaining with a goal to reduce my body fat.

Ever since I've started weight lifting, I've noticed a considerable increase in my body fat % slowly creeping over the past 1 month from 19% to 22.6% now! I measured this using the electronic scale , tanita. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong... Tries to strength train 2-3 times a week + cardio 2 -3times a week, with a total of about 4 times of exercise per week. I try to do cardio & strength on separate days.

Diet wise: eat about 1500 - 1600 cals. love fruits and vegetables and eat them almost every meal. Especially fruits about 4-6 servings a day. Drink lots of water . I eat protein every lunch and dinner. Carbs like rice or wrap usually for 2 of my main meals. Fats usually from nuts or avocado .

Somehow I feel weaker at the gym when lifting as compared to when I was maybe 15 pounds heavier. I feel that I can't handle the same weights as I did previously when I was heavier ,is there something wrong? Worst thing is that I'm putting on fats and losing muscles! This really baffles me. Pls help thanks!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Bioelectrical Impedence devices for body fat are not accurate. If you gained fat you would see it in the mirror. There's a chance your workouts aren't as good because you need a new program or you aren't eating enough. Depending on how long you've been lifting and how much you lift you might need a deload week. It's highly unlikely you are gaining fat.
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think you are more likely gaining muscle and retaining water.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Assuming everything you listed is accurate (you are not underestimating calories eaten or activity level), your TDEE is 1844 and you are eating at a 15% deficit. This amount is perfectly acceptable for someone trying to lose fat. It is not going to help you build muscle. That requires a surplus. You should however, be able to maintain your muscle (or at least most of it) with what you are doing.

Is it possible you are over/underestimating your intake and/or activity level?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    My guess is you’re staying about the same. You’re not eating to perform in the muscle strength and endurance area. The fat % from those devises can be way off. Gaining muscle mass takes significant stimulus and proper nutrition.
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am trying to achieve a macro nutrient of 40c 30p 30f. Is it optimal? I am not too sure if increasing my tdee would help.
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    Based on what you said you were eating, particularly all the fruit, I don’t see how you’re making those macros. If you’re lifting heavy, I’d try to have protein in every meal and focus my carbs to my evening meal (maybe have some fruit right before you go lift).
  • Shouliveshappy
    Options
    True that I am not getting enough protein... Carbs in the evening is OK? I heard to avoid carbs at night...
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    Some carbs at night will help you sleep better (good sleep is a key to recovery and rebuilding). Plus it helps you reset your glycogen in your muscles for another session the next day. In either case, we’re not talking a lot of carbs, but a good portion of your daily allotment. Feed to your training.
  • ullc316
    ullc316 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Protien up if u wanna gain muscle its as simple as that! Gain muscle lose fat u cnt help it!
  • Shouliveshappy
    Options
    Okay! Some questions.. Should I eat a quest bar before or after my workout? As I usually end my gym at about 10pm, should I also have a full dinner which is 600-700 cals? And to include carbs like brown rice / wrap / sweet potato / bread?