Support for 'that' time of the month

Xpecta
Xpecta Posts: 451 Member
edited February 2015 in Motivation and Support
Does anyone else feel like they need support during their period? I definitely struggle at this time. Cravings and need for comfort food gets overwhelming! Plus, the fact That I don't want to exercise because I don't feel very well, and am exhausted. Anyways, I thought we could have a place for everyone to help each other through this time.

Replies

• jordipie55
    jordipie55 Posts: 25 Member
    You and me both, sistah :expressionless: I think it's just the general feeling of ickiness that kills my motivation.
  • WednesdayJanuary07th2015
    edited February 2015
    I personally struggle with sweets, so the best option for me; is jelly beans. I'll eat 6 at a time, 4 times a day; it's only 96 Calories total daily.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Nope.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    I find I usually lose more weight that week because I will have a piece of candy or two a day, and I work them into my calories. chocolate; high in calories, low in weight. ;)
  • Xpecta
    I crave breads mostly. Or snack food. Today I want popcorn, and not a low fat low sodium healthy kind. I haven't caved yet though.
  • P0PTART
    P0PTART Posts: 50 Member
    I'm with you. Until my third day, then I don't want to eat anything until it's over. The week before is a constant fight not to overeat. A lady at work breezes through hers as if it's not even there.
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    I usually do okay during my period now with cravings, but I just got done with mine and ate like a million brownies. Oops! :p
  • Xpecta
    Yeah, I struggle my week before as well. However this time I did fine :) Today wasn't as great though. I'm hoping today is the only day.

Brownies sound good right about now!
  • It seems counterintuitive, but exercise actually helps cramps. And extra water helps with bloating. I have been reading recently that chocolate cravings in particular signify a magnesium deficiency. So consider a magnesium supplement if you crave chocolate.
  • deedavis27
    deedavis27 Posts: 18 Member
    If I didn't know what date my periods will arrive I always know by the way I crave hot chips and chicken schnitzels - so so bad
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    I sometimes indulge in an over-cal day on the first or second day of mine, either of which can be brutal (I feel really sore, tired, stiff, miserable and all I want is candy to make it better while I lie on the couch all day with a hot water bottle.) Fighting the urge to eat everything in sight all day just makes me feel even worse.
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    Oh yes. I feel like I need carbs and fat and salt and sometimes chocolate when it's that time. Cravings are usually only bad for a day or 2, but if I have a migraine, salt and fat oddly help with the migraine hangover. I swear 90% of the fries I eat happen after a pms migraine. I have stage IV endo so I'm usually limited in exercise for the days leading up to it and the 1st days of my period due to pain. This month I'm trying to just have smaller portions of the bad stuff I crave while logging it so I can't deny to myself that yes, I did eat badly that day.
  • roksfarm
    roksfarm Posts: 56 Member
    I am in the SAME dang boat! But why are some months better/easier then others? My really big problem is being SOOOO tired! UGH just another wonderful thing of being a WOMEN!! Hang in there chicks but if you find a miracle cure....CLUE me in!! :p
  • I do different exercises during my period. Usually, just slow walks. I find I can get really backed up too...so I've just started eating less or juicing more a few days before and the first few days of and I find that helps me. I also really try to tune into the types of comfort that I need. I used to just eat for comfort. Now I actually listen more and if I'm tired I nap, cold I either walk or take a bath.

Best to you!

~M.C. Turtle
  • Omg, I have a funny story. A couple years ago I went to the grocery store because I needed tampons. Well, I also grabbed snacks I had no idea I was craving until they were in my cart. When I got to the checkout, I suddenly realized I'd had a whole " time of the month" shopping trip. On the belt sat Little Debbie Nutty Bars, 2 Twix bars, ice cream, a Woman's World magazine, Midol and lastly the tampons. The cashier was trying so hard not to laugh, but I told her "oh man, it's not hard to tell what's going on with me!" Lol!
  • lauriepatey
    lauriepatey Posts: 1 Member
    Hi. Try adding a daily iron supplement, I found it can help with the overall tiredness. I only crave salt during , but if I eat it my feet swell and I bloat, instead I try for little nonfood comfort treats like a scratch ticket instead of a candy bar, a pedicure instead of salty fries, or a new lipstick. a friend reminding me how great I feel after a workout, then a rewarding soak in the hot tub. We all need to remember to be kind and forgiving to ourselves, especially during that time of the month.
  • vickierivero1
    vickierivero1 Posts: 46 Member
    bornsheuer wrote: »
    Omg, I have a funny story. A couple years ago I went to the grocery store because I needed tampons. Well, I also grabbed snacks I had no idea I was craving until they were in my cart. When I got to the checkout, I suddenly realized I'd had a whole " time of the month" shopping trip. On the belt sat Little Debbie Nutty Bars, 2 Twix bars, ice cream, a Woman's World magazine, Midol and lastly the tampons. The cashier was trying so hard not to laugh, but I told her "oh man, it's not hard to tell what's going on with me!" Lol!

This, is usually me all of the way! Normally every month!
  • Hi. Try adding a daily iron supplement, I found it can help with the overall tiredness. I only crave salt during , but if I eat it my feet swell and I bloat, instead I try for little nonfood comfort treats like a scratch ticket instead of a candy bar, a pedicure instead of salty fries, or a new lipstick. a friend reminding me how great I feel after a workout, then a rewarding soak in the hot tub. We all need to remember to be kind and forgiving to ourselves, especially during that time of the month.

Best advice!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    No. I've had my period for a long time now, so I'm capable of handling it.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I don't really get affected by it and I certainly don't stop exercising. I get a little more hungry just before, but not for sweet stuff, just hungrier in general, then the first couple of days of it I lose my appetite a bit. I've not noticed feeling more tired either, but then with 3 young kids I'm tired all the time anyway so I probably wouldn't notice lol.
    I exercised all through my third pregnancy, even the first trimester when I was exhausted and feeling nauseous, so a period isn't going to make a difference to me.