When you think you've lost it...

Options
Motivation and Will-power. I lost mine over the weekend.
I ate and drank anything and everything Friday night thru Sunday.

I've lost 123 lbs, people, and what did I do? I resorted to my big old "Fat Melissa" ways.
I failed this weekend and I'm struggling emotionally how to get past this.

Having been on this journey for 2+ years I constantly tell people that have done this to get back on track, look ahead and make good choices. One weekend will not ruin you. It may set you back a bit, but it won't ruin you forever.

But I can't wrap my head around that. I just keep thinking about the cake, the wine, the chocolate that I ate all weekend, like it was going to vanish off the face of the earth.

I need you, MFP'ers. I need you to help me get past this. I'm so disappointed and right now I need this boost. I've kept myself on such a tight leash these past years, never giving in like this before, and one whole weekend with amazing food and no self-control, I messed up.

To any of you who have done this, those who have lost a huge amount of weight, but binged one whole weekend- any advice?
To any of you who struggle like this daily, any advice?
I just need someone to help me get past this.

Replies

• cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    Well I just went and looked at your profile and your pictures. And you my dear, are a freaking amazing inspiration to me! I started this journey at 286 the first of this year and I've lost nearly 27 pounds. And I'm still working on it. But you've done it! You are awesome and you need to stop being so hard on yourself. You've established great habits and all that happened is you took a small break from them. Get back on the straight and narrow and you'll be just fine!
  • julybugg
    julybugg Posts: 10
    Options
    Don't beat your self up!! You story is so inspirational for so many! Its ok to have a cheat day/ weekend- but just know that if you do you need to make sure to get back on track Monday morning. Or do an extra workout on Friday if you know you are going to have a crazy weekend! This is something you will continue to deal with for the REST of your life. You can't deprive your self of lifes little indulgences forever! So its OK to eat cake- a small piece, NOT the whole thing!! But if you let yourself have something good from time to time- IMO you will be much less likely to go overboard!!

You should be PROUD of your accomplishments, and not beat your self up for failures!
  • propjetprop
    propjetprop Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Are you FREAKING KIDDING ME!!!! you have achieved near super human will power by losing 123 lbs!!! and you are worried about one weeekend?

Do an extra 20 min on the treadmill today and let it go....
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Do not beat yourself up. You are not going to gain 123lbs back in one weekend, you probably didn't even gain 2 lbs this weekend.

Let it go.
  • kaizen31
    kaizen31 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Firstly, like everyone is saying, you've accomplished something incredible, never forget that! Really, you're the motivator here!

Was there any reason you splurged this weekend, or was it just nice to switch off "Good Melissa?" Because I'm betting "Good Melissa" is also sometimes Frustrated, Annoyed, and Tired of Counting Calories Melissa! :)

If there was a specific reason, think that over and try to work it out. If it was the latter, well, I used an online calculator: Your profile says you started your weight loss journey in Sept 2008. From then to last Thursday is 977 days. You were really bad for 3 days. (Two and a half, but we'll stretch it to three.) That's 0.3% of the time, if my math is right. Not even half of a percent, barely more than a quarter of a percent. That's not a loss, that's a VICTORY! :D Think of anything where you get 99.7% right--that's not just a passing grade, that's an A++.

Try to hop right back on that wagon, even if you're still reeling a bit with disappointment in yourself. (You're so hard on yourself! Have a little mercy!)

The only thing that will break you in this is if you tell yourself all is lost, and keep splurging for weeks, months, years. But you know what? Even if you ate like that every day for a year, you could still take the weight back off. You've already proven yourself. My hat's off to you!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from....the taste buds have been tempted and the body is excited about all those "drugs" you have just fed it (for food addicts sugar and fat acts the same as heroin and pot). You have 2 choices; cold turkey.... give yourself endorphin rush with some intense exercise. Second, ween your self off, try some lower calorie sweets and set out smaller portions until you reset your body/mind.

You've done some incredible work, be kind to yourself!
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    You are truly an inspiration to us all and one weekend of indulgence is not going to hurt you. You know what you need to do to stay healthy and every now and then a person should be able to indulge in the finer things :wink:
    The indulgences become an issue when they are daily. I know it is hard because you feel like your old self is returning, but you have proven in your post that you refuse to let her surface. You have already won the battle. She was not there this weekend; it was the new you have a good time enjoying the pleasures of life. So you drank a little to much wine and had some chocolate and cake, again once in a while indulgences are fine and it seems to me you know this!
    Please do not beat yourself up over one weekend, look at the successes you have accomplished and move forward! :happy:
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I have not lost the amount of weight you have, but I can really sympathize with your fears. Just take a deep breath and relax. What's done is done, there's no going back...only forward. Today is a new day and you will get back on track. Was there any particular reason for this binge this past weekend? Were you feeling down or depressed or was there just some kind of party you were attending? If you feel you cannot control yourself, tell someone you trust at home. Ask them to help you through it. If there are still leftovers in the fridge, throw them out.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi Melissa,
    It's one weekend.......you have changed your habits for a lifetime. You need to give yourself permission to be "bad" Melissa occasionally. My Mother's Day card from my 20 year old said something to the effect of helping her to grow as a person by realizing you can get through bad times because life isn't perfect.
    I can understand your fears. It's been five years since I started this journey, and I know I will have to watch what I eat and stay active for the rest of my life in order to keep the weight off. This weekend I went to several graduation receptions, ate lots of cake and mints (as well as all the good salads, sandwiches, etc.), and I am feeling it today. My plan is to get back at it today, drink lots of water, and not beat myself up. I better not, as I have graduations to go to every weekend in May -- might be kind of black and blue when the month is over if I beat myself up over it.:laugh:
    Good luck getting back with it. You look amazing, and your profile comments show a STRONG woman who will get through this weekend!
    Kaye