Eating 800 calories a day

Options
I made a daily meal plan for myself and when I logged it on myfitnesspal the total calories for the day was 800. I feel like it's enough food for me and seems pretty healthy. However a lot of things I'm reading say that below a 1000 calories a day is unhealthy , is this true ?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Height Weight Age. How much do you need to lose?
    And no, 800 calories is not enough at all.
    Women shouldn't go under 1200 calories and men 1500
  • fsalib3
    fsalib3 Posts: 14 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'11 19 years old 225 lbs, just looking to drop as much weight as possible. I'm eating 4 meals a day but mostly proteins and fruits so it seems to be healthy but the calories are kind of low
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Male or female?

What is your current weight? Chances are you can eat a lot more and still lose weight
  • fsalib3
    Options
    Male and my current weight is 225 lbs.
  • jdstathopoulos
    jdstathopoulos Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm around the same height, and weigh 205. 800 is way too low. I eat between 1700 and 2000 per day and lost nearly 40 pounds in the last year. You may drop weight quickly eating 800, but it won't be healthy.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Sounds very low to me, you might have a good start but your body will go into hibernation mode in order to hang on to every calorie, fat, sugar etc.... I'm sure there are plenty on here who could give you a lot of help in increasing your calories whilst still losing weight quickly
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    At your age, height and size 800 calories is very low. You still have some developing and brain growth to do and your body needs good nutrition to do that. MFP has a good recommendation for calories needed to drop weight at a healthy weight.
  • fsalib3
    Options
    I do usually feel full by the end of the day so perhaps it is more calories in reality.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring or just guessing?
  • Christine_72
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring your food? If not your just guessing..
    I went on the iifym calculator and put in your stats, for a sedentary person it gave me: 2472 calories a day to maintain your weight. To lose you can eat around 1978 calories a day. I don't know at what rate your loss would be on this tho.
    What has MFP given you to lose?? Your best bet is to follow the numbers it has set out for you
  • fsalib3
    Options
    Most of the food I eat I find on myfitnesspal but usually the proteins are just a guess. I will definitely start weighing it like some of u suggested.
    Thanks for looking that up for me christine , good to know I can add some more food to my plan!
  • jdstathopoulos
    Options
    If you have the app on your phone, you can scan the barcode. I've been doing that to get accurate counts.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Did you put in your stats into the mfp calculator? I'd be curious to hear how many calories it came up for you
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    As lots of people on here have said, 800 isn't nearly enough for someone your height and weight.

This myth about the "1200 calories" has to go away though. I realize it is as low as MFP goes, I imagine for liability reasons, but I have a friend who is about 5 feet on the nose and does coding for a living (very sedentary). She is more than full at 800-1000 calories. 1200 is not some magic bottom line that people should chime in with the second this question is asked on the forums. Wait to get the whole story.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    What I was saying is that as a general rule it Is not recommended that women go under 1200. Which doesn't really matter now as OP is a male
  • fsalib3
    Options
    Where do I find the mfp calculator?
  • jdstathopoulos
    Options
    My Home - Goals
  • fsalib3
    Options
    According to mfp 1860 calories a day is what I need. I guess I need to add an extra meal into my daily plan
  • Christine_72
    Options
    fsalib3 wrote: »
    According to mfp 1860 calories a day is what I need. I guess I need to add an extra meal into my daily plan

yay that sounds much better. Good luck :)

• fsalib3
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the help! :smiley: