What do you eat!?

Options
Hey everyone I live with my partner and I'm just getting used to food shopping.
I was wondering what everyone else eats for dinner/lunch i.e what some health choices are with low kj? And seeing as were both young, some cheap recipes aswell.

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Anything that allows me to hit my daily calorie and macrinutrient goals.

Don't be restricted!
  • ksmi141
    ksmi141 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I always check to see what's on sale and make meal plans accordingly. My first step was cutting out boxed dinners from my meal plans. It makes cooking a *healthy* meal much easier. Just add more veggies (they're also pretty easy on the wallet). My crock pot gets a lot of use. I've used several slow cooker recipes from MFP and I have not been disappointed. Pinterest, too. Don't overcomplicate, though. When I started out on my own and trying to be healthy, I spent too many disappointed nights calling in emergency takeout because that super healthy dinner that took me all flipping night to make just didn't work for me.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Lentil and bean soups with rice. Cheap, good and makes batches that freeze for storage.
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Veggie stirfry is healthy, easy and inexpensive. Add chicken for some protein. It's a very versatile dish and you can make it for just two people or make extra for leftovers.
  • chelseavanchilli
    chelseavanchilli Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, I usually keep bags of frozen veggies which are inexpensive and just take what I'm going to use, mix it up with chicken and spices, some veggie stock and maybe sweet potato, rice on the side..salads are good too, you can basically add anything and make it fit your daily intake, such as avocado, nuts, low-fat cheese, apples, tomato, cucumber, beans, ham..and the oven is a good option too: pop fish, herbs, lemon juice and veggies and let them mingle wrapped in foil!
  • samanthacrossman973
    Options
    Thanks heaps guys! I think I'll give stir fry a try this week and stock up on frozen veggies, I love mixing salad with everything I eat so I'll try make a chicken salad :)
  • ovinas1
    ovinas1 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Since your a newbie to food shopping. You only want to eat the foods on the outer perimeter of the store. Stay away from the middle.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Since you are a newbie, the chances of failure go up exponentially as you restrict things from your diet. Eat foods you love in moderation with an eye towards balance.
  • leahannhorton
    leahannhorton Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Our favorite cheat meal: English Muffin Pizzas! We rarely eat dairy in our household, but we will for the sake of pizza :) Its cheap and you can load sauce and toppings with all the veggies you want!
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Anything that allows me to hit my daily calorie and macrinutrient goals.

Don't be restricted!

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    ovinas1 wrote: »
    Since your a newbie to food shopping. You only want to eat the foods on the outer perimeter of the store. Stay away from the middle.

This isn't a bad guideline, but I would hate for the OP to consider it a hard and fast rule. I buy tuna, canned veggies, beans, pre-made broth, frozen fruits and veggies, coffee, and such all from the middle aisles of the store.

• miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Mostly veggies. Just ate homemade pasta pesto (wit spaghetti squash instead of pasta) and some leftover grilled steak. Omg, so good.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I prepare a healthy dinner each night and usually make a little extra for lunch the next day. I love to cook so the menu varies a lot.

To eat healthy on a budget, shop for foods on sale, especially produce. Use frozen fruits and vegetables whenever possible. They are MUCH cheaper than what passes for fresh in the supermarket and usually have retained more of their nutrients.

Grow food if you have the room. Many vegetables will grow well in a container. Fresh herbs are outrageously priced at the market, but can be grown in a windowsill quite easily.

Dried beans and rice are usually the cheapest foods in the store and both are extremely versatile.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    My common meals are:
    Chicken/veggie stir fry w/ rice (this Is my favorite meal. I also make with other meats)
    Chicken fried rice
    Spaghetti
    Chicken parmesan
    Chicken and rice soup
    Beef stew
    Burritos
    Quesadillas
    Tacos
    Baked chicken breast w/ garlic and brown sugar
    One time I made chicken and cooked brown rice with salsa and chicken broth, then threw it all together with black beans, chopped up bell pepper and onion