Pole Dancing?

Options
roqoru
roqoru Posts: 31 Member
I know it's a bit unorthodox, but I get a lot of my exercising from pole dancing. It's both an aerobic and muscular workout, as you spend the better part of an hour lifting your own body weight up and down a pole and maintaining poses for several seconds. I'm not talking about stripping or anything, just the art of pole dancing.

Does anyone else use this particular method? I'm going to try to add it to the exercise database since it doesn't seem to be there, but I was wondering how many other people try this.

Replies

• DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    We have several studios here in Columbia SC. I have not tried it myself (I have some lower back issues), but it looks like fun and good exercise.

Definitely request it be added. I do tap dance and line dance for exercise, and those aren't there either. I just log it as Dance, Aerobic and/or Modern.
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've seen that they offer those classes around here. I'm too shy to try anything like that, so more power to you! Plus, I'm pretty sure I'd fall and hurt myself. I have hear that it's a great workout, though.
  • classicshell
    Options
    I tried it! It was so much fun!! No classes like that in this city though. ;)
  • roqoru
    Options
    Doing a little bit of research, how many calories you burn while pole dancing is directly affected by how much you weigh. So...hm. A 190 lb woman (like myself) who pole dances for an hour at intermediate to advanced levels can burn around 500 calories. And obviously, the less you weigh the fewer calories you burn, or the less advanced your technique, the fewer calories you burn. So maybe I won't add it to the database because it's just too complicated to try to add everyone's weight in there.

Thoughts?
  • JaiHook
    JaiHook Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have done it twice. I would love to do it on a regular basis but can't afford it. It is a great upper body workout and it is fun!
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    We have several studios here in Columbia SC. I have not tried it myself (I have some lower back issues), but it looks like fun and good exercise.

Definitely request it be added. I do tap dance and line dance for exercise, and those aren't there either. I just log it as Dance, Aerobic and/or Modern.

Actually, I did see line dancing on the database, because that was how I was logging in my Country Dance game on the Wii! i was shocked to see it there.
  • o2blori
    o2blori Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I tried to calculate it in here, but it was way off when I used my HRM. So, honestly, I think you won't really know your burn without one.
  • roqoru
    Options
    It IS fun! But yeah, back problems can keep you from doing it. Abra526, don't be shy! It's a lot of fun and it's not promiscuous or anything (well, at least where I do it).
  • Shawna_L
    Shawna_L Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love pole dancing! My old studio moved to the other side of town, and now it's just too much of a drive to do every week like I used to, but I miss it! My husband misses it too...

:laugh:

It's a great workout that leaves you feeling strong and sexy.
  • SamanthaT01
    SamanthaT01 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have did it for almost two years and agree with you on the intensity of the workout. I have found muscles I didn't know I had. I stopped due to conflict of schedule but it's a great workout!
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to go to a pole dance lesson!
    I always thought it would be lots of fun!
    And when we and my fiance got out own house we could buy a pole..
    And it would spice up our sex life!
    But.. i was originally going to start the pole dancing lessons when i was 15, because we did them at our school...
    But they cost £27 a lesson!!!
    And i didnt have a job and i still dont!
    Although im sure now that my fiance has got his job.. We could discuss it!
    Im looking forward to it now lol..
    Thanks for reminding me!
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Love it , Its called Flirty Girl dancing where I go
  • Foofyknickers
    Foofyknickers Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I tried it too. It is a hell of a workout, even at a beginner's level, which I was. But I couldn't progress any further than the beginner's course as I didn't have the physical strength to keep lifting myself on the pole. Wish I had, because I really enjoyed it!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Always up for a new method to keep fit. I'm intrigued, but not sure what "Pole Dancing" is. Could you please post a video of you working out, so that I may determine if this is the exercise for me?
  • jperrysunlover
    jperrysunlover Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I love it! Several years ago, I bought a retractable pole that I can use in our gym at home. There is a DVD series called, The "S" Factor. Great workouts and I saw amazing results in my upper body strength, flexibility, and balance.

I've focused on yoga and P90X lately, but I may have to get those DVD's out again. It's a good alternative to the traditional treadmill, etc.

As far as keeping track of calories burned, I would use pilates, yoga, or a category of that nature. The moves are similar and you are using your body weight as resistance.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    i was originally going to start the pole dancing lessons when i was 15, because we did them at our school...

OMG!! :laugh:

I would love to try it sometime- do you actually work out in heels? I don't know if my feet could handle that for a full hour!
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have put a lot of hours into pole dancing and never lost a pound. Maybe it was because I was watching and not dancing.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Always up for a new method to keep fit. I'm intrigued, but not sure what "Pole Dancing" is. Could you please post a video of you working out, so that I may determine if this is the exercise for me?

hahaha looks like you have an admirer ;p
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options

HAha