Significant Water weight gain on the night shift

Options
I work the night shift and am on my feet for a good part of 12 hours. At the end of a 3 day stretch I find that my weight will go up 5 to 7lbs by the end of the third night...the water weight is so significant it hurts in my hands, legs and belly so badly but if I'm off a couple of days it all goes away. It's a constant thing I suppose. I watch my sodium intake and everything.

I'm wondering if anybody else works alot of hours on their feet and have the same thing happen to them?

Replies

• FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    After working just one night shift I have a 1-2 lb gain. I know it will go back away after sleep and such, but it is so annoying!
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour nites also and after 3 nites...I alwys weigh 3-4 pounds more than I did the first nite...really makes me mad and making it hard to lose weight!!!
  • lkyeomans
    lkyeomans Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had that problem also. Now I am very careful not to snack on salty things like pretzels. I bring baby carrots to snack on and don't drink any soda only water (not a coffee drinker at all, so I use to use Pepsi to stay awake with) I now can lose weight over the weekend instead of gaining. Working 12 hour shifts is very difficult and the bottom line for me is I have to stay awake and alert as I am the only RN in the building. I have Pepsi available for me incase I need it to stay awake and have healthy foods to eat if I need them, but am usually able to get by with my carrots, water and Altoid mints (to help me stay awake). I find planning is the key. Good luck!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm also a 3rd shifter at the hospital-I have not experienced weight gain like that-but my snack consist of an apple or banana and a protein bar along w/ 1 coffee and a cup of green tea