Can too much carbs impede weight loss?

Options
Hi everyone,

I just finished logging my entry today and I looked at the nutrition details and my carb intake was 172g, which is over my goal of 150g. Now, I'm curious whether too many carbs can stop me from losing weight? I want to make it very clear that my calorie intake is usually at 1200 (maybe a little higher if I worked out) even if my carb intake is high. My fat and protein are usually slightly less or around what is recommended. So will I still lose weight if my carb intake is high, keeping in mind that I stay at 1200 calories? My carb intake isn't always that high. It's usually between 150-165, which I know is more than the recommended intake, but has anyone lost weight successfully eating a lot of carbs?

Personally, I find that I'm more like to sustain losing weight if I get to have my carbs, because I love carbs so much haha

Replies

• dohayoussef123
    dohayoussef123 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Also, I know that 1200 calories may seem too little, but it is what works for me. Like I don't feel starved. I may go over that occasionally, but I feel good and seem to have enough energy when I'm at 1200.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    At least from my experience, carbs effect appetite not weight loss.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    It's all about CICO, so you will lose if you're in a deficit.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I look at pasta & gain weight. UGH!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    It's all about CICO, so you will lose if you're in a deficit.

this
    silkysly wrote: »
    I look at pasta & gain weight. UGH!

unless you eat like 2000+ calories of it on top of your normal maintenance needs, no.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I reset my carbs goal to 50% because I kept beating it .. I still keep beating it but my weight loss is consistent

I think you learn how to eat your favourite foods to the right proportions
  • JM1481
    JM1481 Posts: 88 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    For some eating too many carbs make them hungrier so it can make sticking to the plan harder, but like the lovely people who already commented said, if you stick to your cals it shouldn't effect your weight loss. Remember that guy who ate 1200 cals in Twinkies and lost weight? He didn't feel very great but he did loose weight.

Going over a little shouldn't have too much of an effect though as long as you are meeting your other nutritional goals too. I am over a little most days and I feel great, but I also make it a point to meet my other requirements too. After all, it's not only about losing weight, you want to be healthy and feel great too!

Listen to your body, your mood and energy will usually let you know if you are getting what you need.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If the carbs come with a calorie surplus over your maintenance, then yes. Otherwise, you're all good.