Scared to go back to the gym

Options
I haven't been to the gym since the start of December. There, I've said it.

Now I'm worried about having to go back and seeing the same people I have for the past couple of years, except now I'm visibly out of shape and I know I'll have to start again from scratch. I know that I shouldn't be worried about it, and I know that no one is actually going to care or notice, but it still fills me with fear. It's also hard to be motivated because I have no choice but to get up very early and workout before my job starts in the morning - after work and late nights aren't an option.

I'm ashamed that I've effectively ruined two years worth of work in the space of two months. Okay, maybe that's an over reaction, but you know what I mean...

How does everyone else manage it? Has anyone else here had this problem before?

Replies

• fostyjh
    Options
    I got in shape & lost 30lbs for a friends wedding a few years ago...wasn't at my goal, but felt great & had way more confidence...then I had a medical setback & gained it all back. I just started back at the gym last week after not having been since Sept. Having a friend come with me helped. Just go, wear your headphones & sweat.
  • jessypug
    jessypug Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it, I'm pretty sure there is no one at your gym who has gone there consistently for their entire life. Everyone has ups and downs here and there. Plus no one is there to judge you, they are there to work out! :D Relax, get to the gym and enjoy getting back into shape!
  • Just115Pounds
    Just115Pounds Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The people that are already there are not going to bash you because, after all, YOU ARE THERE! You are doing something about your weight, you are getting back into shape! If they REALLY cared about your weight (which they probably couldn't care less) they would be ENCOURAGING you to keep at the gym, rather then scare you away.
    I'm sure they are going to be excited to see another friend enter the gym. Heck, pair up with one of those people at the gym and go with them daily for motivation. Make the best out of the situation. Because if you don't, you are letting your fear conquer your goals and that shouldn't happen. You shouldn't allow that to happen.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    OK, no problem, you've hopefully missed the noobs nonsense at the gym so all is good. Don't give yourself a hard time, life happens, make a note to self to never ever, ever do it again. Pull up your big boy shorts, head held high, now go and get yourself a tight bod!.......Now go.......go on GO!!!! :)
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    At my gym, the regulars all nod and wave to each other - no real conversations, but I can tell you that if I haven't seen someone in a while, the last thing I'm looking at is how much weight he's putting on his bar. I'm just happy to see him back in the gym. I nod and wave from the TM and go back about my business. I have work to do. Right? So do you ... go! The first day back will be the hardest - you know that. All gravy (and awesomeness) after that.

Good for you, btw, for being honest about it.
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, maybe I just need to suck it up and get back to it.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I'm sure if you see the same people that they know what you can do and know why you are back. Other new people don't know you. Use how you feel about the last 2 years to whip yourself back in shape.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    The longer you wait the harder it will be. Like you said, no one will care that much- they will nod and smile at you and that's it. Just do it and you'll be glad you did. Plus you are probably not that far from getting back into shape.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    You would be surprised to find out how very little other people care in that way. Please go back and don't give it a second thought. Because they won't.
  • bethouiseevans
    bethouiseevans Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    There could be any number of reasons you haven't gone/they havent seen you so they shouldn't judge! Besides i bet youre not as noticeably out of shape as you think, they wont have paid that much attention before so unless youve actually gained like 50lbs they probably wont notice or care :) Suck it up :P the sooner you go back the sooner youll be back at your best!!!
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The more I think about it the more I realise that my major issue has been that I've simply forgotten about how much fun it is to set goals for yourself and make it a challenge. I might start a Novice 5x5 routine and see if I can have a laugh with it. Start off slow and steady and just get back into the right mood for working out properly again. Thanks everyone - I think I just needed to talk about it and hear some positive words from other MFP users.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Your profile name has me singing The Doors Whiskey Bar this morning, btw ... ;)
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    2 years? Don't even worry about it. Of course, there will be some regulars still there, but they don't care. I've been going to the same gym for 3 years. I've noticed a couple of people show up after a long break. I just think, "Oh, I haven't seen that guy in awhile."
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm ashamed that I've effectively ruined two years worth of work in the space of two months. Okay, maybe that's an over reaction

It _is_ an over-reaction; your body doesn't fall apart that fast. If you're eating right, you'll probably get back to the same level in a couple weeks. Don't worry about it, just GO. TO. THE GYM!

• lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    People go to the gym for themselves, not others. The few that do go to show off to others aren't worth your time anyway (we've all seen them, they're hilarious, but otherwise useless)...I promise that nobody cares, haha. I see the same people in my small gym and we all keep to ourselves, some train together but most of us don't and I just don't care what they're doing. Do I sometimes catch myself watching them? Yeah, but I also catch them watching me from time to time too. It's human nature to look at something moving in the corner of your eye, which is why I think people think others are "staring at them" at the gym all the time when they aren't

The only time I've ever approached someone in the gym was when they were about to hurt themselves, otherwise everyone is there to do their own thing.

When I hear people say they're afraid to go to the gym because of their weight, my response is always the same: People are too busy staring at themselves in the mirror to worry about what you look like.

I also wouldn't worry about people judging for a long absence. Some people just go to the gym different times...for all I know the girl I only see once a week actually goes 4 times a week but she goes earlier/later in the day. Or maybe she does only go once a week - who cares? It's not my business anyway.
  • 24young
    24young Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I try to live by the motto "What's the worst that could happen? " The worst is that you go and the workout it is hard but you feel accomplished you made it there. Someone may judge you but that is their problem. Don't let what someone else might think keep you from doing something good for yourself.
  • SofiaofNY
    SofiaofNY Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    One of the things that scared me the most was judgment at the gym. Esp since I work out at gym on a military instillation. When you walk in - EVERYONE is in shape. Running fast, lifting heavy - it was very intimidating. Except - I realized everyone is so focused on thier own work out - no one gives a rats *kitten* about me. A few months ago - I switched to planet fitness and did not like it all - So I went back to the gym on post. Its really great motivation. I dont know if I trust a gym like planet fitness that feeds you pizza and tootsie rolls.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    You already said the answer in your OP. Who will care or notice. People might notice but will they down talk you or anything. Will them care if you undo some of your progress. Well how would they gain in progress from that. This issue is more on your own insecurity and you are trying not to take responsibility.

They gym is all about you and the gym. Stop caring about what others will think in the gym. Especially when that is one place were you will better yourself.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to the gym since the start of December. There, I've said it.

Now I'm worried about having to go back and seeing the same people I have for the past couple of years, except now I'm visibly out of shape and I know I'll have to start again from scratch. I know that I shouldn't be worried about it, and I know that no one is actually going to care or notice, but it still fills me with fear. It's also hard to be motivated because I have no choice but to get up very early and workout before my job starts in the morning - after work and late nights aren't an option.

I'm ashamed that I've effectively ruined two years worth of work in the space of two months. Okay, maybe that's an over reaction, but you know what I mean...

How does everyone else manage it? Has anyone else here had this problem before?

Has anyone ever told you you look like WWE wrestler, Cesaro?
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I took off 6 months due to 2 different surgeries. went back, saw the same people, all they said was it was good to see me again. Don't overthink it. Just go