anyone else work at home?

Options

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I work at home too. I've found eating within a limited time window (IF) and strict logging to solve any mindless eating problems.
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    MouseFood wrote: »
    The problem is, it's difficult to motivate yourself. Also, working at home means working next to the kitchen, damn it.

Does anyone else find this hard?

Rarrrrrr ...

I find it easy. Get something like a Garmin vivosmart, and it should tell you when it is time to get off yer butt and move. Get the desk workout cards to do some stretches etcetc or go take a lap around the house, or a few up the stairs.

Kitchen wise, I set times to eat.
  • nishant234
    Options
    I have been working from home for a year. First year was hard - I ate my *kitten* off, and ordered food every other night. In the end I realised that nobody but me was responsible for my choices. I started eating healthy in January. It hasn't been that hard. Lost 10 pounds in Jan itself.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I have only recently started working from home, and find it to be a relief. No more potluck, no more birthday cakes, no more hey lets go to the buffet for lunch. Nowadays it is just me and my pre-logged food. The lack of snack machines and endless birthday/other peoples food keeps my impulse eating under control.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I work at home for my second job, which is to say, evenings and weekends. I find that it helps to brew a pot of tea to enjoy while working. Also, some nice ambient music in the background. That provides enough sensory enjoyment that I won't be snacking after dinner.
  • MarkdMiddleton
    Options
    I worked from home last year, lucky the gym is less than 1 mile from place & I could train most mornings and start work around 10am...... But I also found when I lost my motivation which happened in July (work stress) & December (training injuries) I found i was even closer to the fridge than the gym :(
  • MaureensFreshStart
    MaureensFreshStart Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yes Ma'am, and I can absolutely relate! I find myself grazing throughout the day, even if I'm not that hungry :(
  • crazykatlady_
    crazykatlady_ Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Although, I'm taking a break from working I am still home all day with my kids. So, the temptation is definitely still there. Yet, I actually feel like I have this under control. I bought a food scale, some snack bags, and I portioned out all my temptation foods. The plus side of that is that now my husband and kids get the proper portions too. :-)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have been self-employed off and on for 11 years. I am currently a self-employed writer and crafter. I love being my own boss, MOST OF THE TIME ...

The problem is, it's difficult to motivate yourself. Also, working at home means working next to the kitchen, damn it.

Does anyone else find this hard?

Rarrrrrr ...

I am not self employed but typically work from home (remotely via VPN) 2-3 days a week. I find it easier to stay on track because I can wear my workout clothes while I work and get in a full workout at lunch, plus toss in 50 jumping jacks or walking lunges here and there throughout the day.

There is always plenty of food aroung the office and it's usually far less healthy that what I have at home.
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    fatbird73 wrote: »
    Oh, me too. I do IT support at home. It's really difficult, I just try to buy treats for the family that I don't like :) it's just so easy to go and have a look in the fridge...

This is what I do too. I haven't struggled too much. The hard part is all the sitting. Last year I taught in a classroom and so I was constantly walking-I NEVER sat. This year I teach from home (cyber school), so I am rarely moving. I had to set an alarm on my phone to remind myself to get up and move!

• ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I've been taking some time off of working since my father passed away and I find it much easier to workout and eat healthy than I did when I was working, which seems to be the opposite of a lot of the sentiment on this thread. At home I can cook and not be tempted by takeout places. I used to work a 10 minute walk away, so it was so easy to sleep in long enough that I wouldn't have time to workout in the morning, and then I'd be too tired after work. Not to mention, the LCBO was on the way home so it was so easy to pick up a bottle of wine and maybe more takeout for dinner. Even when getting into the habit of meal prepping and planning lunches, I would slip after a while and easily be tempted into getting takeout for lunch. I'm just trying to really stay dedicated right now so that I can keep these good habits when I get back to work.
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm a real estate appraiser and I work from home. I keep healthy snacks in my office and fridge. I also have Doritos Sweet Chili in the cupboard and I'll have a chip or two once a day when the craving hits. The key is to limit it to one or two chips and only once a day. If you have a sweet tooth try making some healthy trail mix with some dark chocolate chips in it. In moderation it is a good snack and it will feel like your eating something you shouldn't be. It also helps to plan your meals out for the day so you know exactly how many calories you have left to snack with.

I also take a break every couple of hours and walk up and down my stairs for 15-20 mins 2-4 times a day to get in some exercise since it's too cold to walk outside. Some days I don't have the time but I try to fit it in whenever I can. I found the time to get out of shape so I'm making damn sure to find the time to get back into shape.
  • MummyKate85
    MummyKate85 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I used to work from home as a self employed graphic designer. I had to put it all on the back burner though when my sons care needs increased (he has special needs), but I hope to pick it all back up again in September once he starts school as I will have spare time in the day time.
  • crazykatlady_
    crazykatlady_ Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I work at home for my second job, which is to say, evenings and weekends. I find that it helps to brew a pot of tea to enjoy while working. Also, some nice ambient music in the background. That provides enough sensory enjoyment that I won't be snacking after dinner.

Yes! Tea is my saving grace! When I feel "snacky" I make myself a nice cup of tea. I have a wide variety of flavors to suit my moods, and it always feels like a treat. Or I'll have a cookie or two with my tea so I feel full, get my desired munchie food, and don't binge.

• MaureensFreshStart
    MaureensFreshStart Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    AviBZ wrote: »
    I work from home too. Staying away from snacks is hard. On the up side, I can usually work in a walk or a bike ride during the day.
    :Nods head in agreement: - I usually take a walk for about 30-40 min mid day, and a bike ride for that same length of time around 5:30 PM

• jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    jenny3008 wrote: »
    When I say I don't have many problems snacking that is because there is nothing snackworthy to eat in the house apart from fruit.... I don't tend to have a stop button when I start.

I have the same problem, which also made it easier when I was living with my parents, because they simply didn't buy junk food, at least very rarely. But even when I don't my husband sometimes does, and I'm only a short walk from a convenience store.

I really do miss the days of having to drive 25 minutes to get to a grocery store ... that helped my diet a lot lol

When my partner brings home snacks I put them in a cupboard that I can barely reach... neither can he but heyho. Its a cupboard I don't open and I'm good at pretending its not there.

I live very close to the university campus there are convenience stores everywhere but I have gone so long without snacking I'm good at ignoring the call for it..... alcohol though :\ the weekends are my downfall
  • AmberLeighD
    Options
    I work several different jobs from home. So I have a time management schedule that keeps my breaks and lunches set. Remember you can only eat what's in the house, so you have a choice to not buy it. I keep yogurt and pre-cut veggies at eye level in the fridge, so that's the first thing I see if I get up to "graze". If you have different snacks for kiddos/ husband - why not put them in a bin or basket and if you take one... make yourself pay for it, like $5. I bet you would really limit how many you "bought" from the basket.

As for my jobs? I work as a executive for a property manager out of NYC, I help with registrations for a youth sports organization out of Denver, Colorado, I run my husband's moving & hauling job, and I keep up our Etsy & Ebay sites.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    jenny3008 wrote: »
    When I say I don't have many problems snacking that is because there is nothing snackworthy to eat in the house apart from fruit.... I don't tend to have a stop button when I start.

I definitely think that helps. The food I have that I don't have to cook or prepare is fruit that I have already cut up in tupperware (pineapple & papaya). So that's all I snack on. Sometimes I'll get Tostitos and salsa, but if you get the bite-sized rounds they're only 130 calories for 25 g, which is about 20 chips. With the salsa, it's a 150 cal snack. I just portion them out so I'm not tempted to eat more, but you really don't need more. I've given my boyfriend the bag while I had my portioned cup and he always puts the bag away before I finish my chips, so he's eating about the same amount.
  • ThisCharmingFellow
    ThisCharmingFellow Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I work from home and have done for a few years.

When you run your own business it can be very difficult to create a lasting routine because that's just the nature of being self-employed. For a while last year I tried to go for a walk before and after I had done my work for the day, an attempt at creating a 'commute', if you like; it didn't work out for me because of issues individual to me, but it might for you.

I do go to the gym, swim and use the stationary bike at home - I make a deal with myself that I will do what I need to do each day in terms of working out but tell myself that it doesn't matter at what point in the day I do it. It's always nicer though when I have got it out of the way early on.

As for food. I have headache and IBS issues so these impact upon what I feel like eating on a given day, but I do try and plan ahead with meals a little. I have a variety of snacks I quite enjoy but I don't plan ahead with these, other than making sure that they are available. That way I still have an element of 'I fancy that so I'll have it' but safe in the knowledge that I won't bust my goal for the day. It stops the 'diet' aspect from feeling too rigid and restrictive.

I've just spent the last two weeks working in London and will be spending one week in four there from now on, working in an office. I found out, confirmed via my fitbit, that I moved about a whole lot more when working at the office than when I work at home...so I've got to find a way to get myself moving about a little bit more at home. Going out for breakfast or walking to fetch a daily paper might be an answer for me.
  • thekacks
    thekacks Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I find it a lot easier working from home... at least the eating part... I can plan out meals/snacks... log on to MFP and browse the forums for a few minutes here and there for motivation... plan and prep dinner...

I find what has helped me most of all is instead of snacking, I jump online and search for healthy recipe ideas. I use a free site called Pepperplate to save all my recipes to and there is an app for it so I can look when I'm at the grocery store on my cell or pull it up in the kitchen on my tablet. My favorite recipe sites are Skinnytaste and Chocolate Covered Katie... and everything I have made from both has been delicious!

Where I have a problem at home is keeping motivated to workout. I do videos and my treadmill. Eventually I will get a gym membership, but I'm waiting until it warms up a bit. I don't like the cold and enjoy that i only have to warm up the car to go to the grocery store lol