Help setting calorie goal for lifting!

Options
For someone who has lurked and been active on these forums the past year, I'm surprised I don't already know this...sorry for the redundant question!

I've pretty much hit the end of my cutting journey, and I'm looking to get into lifting now. I have a friend willing to let me shadow them, and they will also be showing me the ropes at our gym with the equipment. I will probably be starting out at around 1x-2x a week, and up it to 2x or more a week in the near future. I'm currently still recovering from a sprained ankle that occured 3 weeks ago, so I will be focusing on machines that keep me seated, and squatting with the bar and possibly minimum weight added on. I will also still be doing light cardio during this time, like walking.

I lose on around 1,400-1,500 a day, and maintain around 1,800-1,900 calories a day. I am 5'4 and 121-122lbs. I try to get at minimum 70g protein a day on my current plan, but can easily hit 100g. I have had 70g, 80g, and over 90g days this past week without supplements, so I'm not concerned about this.

Now, my questions are as follows:
1. When I'm initially starting and lifting light/learning form/ect: should I eat at maintenance, or up my calories slightly over maintenance?
2. When I get to the point where I can actually lift significant weight and will be doing it 2x or more a week, what should I plan for a calorie goal?
3. My ankle injury is healing very nicely, but I don't plan on undertaking anything too strenuous for another month or so. Are there any recommendations for support bandages? Should I have compression on it for exercises like this?

Thank you!

Replies

• mcblevins
    mcblevins Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am in for more information on this as well. I am pretty much in the same boat and would like to know some info from the more experienced users also.

Sorry for no help but good job on the post full of info!
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    During a bulk cycle you usually see recommendations of anywhere from 200-500 calorie surplus. So if you maintain at 1800-1900 (say 1850) then I'd say add 300 and use around 2150.

To answer your questions:
    1) I would eat at maintenance for the first month, but that's just me
    2) see above
    3) I wouldn't do anything on the ankle that makes it hurt, if it does stop that exercise until it doesn't. Once it feels better and you're just worried about re-injury down the line, a simple ace compression sleeve or something should be fine.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    During a bulk cycle you usually see recommendations of anywhere from 200-500 calorie surplus. So if you maintain at 1800-1900 (say 1850) then I'd say add 300 and use around 2150.

To answer your questions:
    1) I would eat at maintenance for the first month, but that's just me
    2) see above
    3) I wouldn't do anything on the ankle that makes it hurt, if it does stop that exercise until it doesn't. Once it feels better and you're just worried about re-injury down the line, a simple ace compression sleeve or something should be fine.

Thanks so much! 300 sounds like a very do-able addition. It gives me an excuse to eat more avocados. :)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Another question for the lifters:
    Should I eat a surplus on the days I lift, and try to eat close to maintenance other days? If I'm starting at 2x a week for lifting, I'm afraid I may have too much of a surplus that I won't be able to burn off with my cardio.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    1. what are your overall goals? Are you looking to just maintain your weight while learning the ropes, or do you want to bulk up and build some muscle? It would probably be a good idea to eat at maintenance for now anyways so that you can learn the exercises and form and also allow your body to get past the newbie-gains phase so you can track your bulk more precisely.

2. you'll just have to adjust the intake based on your goals. If you plan on maintaining your current weight, then eat at your current maintenance and adjust up or down if needed. Are you doing TDEE or net? If you do net then it's as simple as just eating back some calories (since it does show up under cardio) and monitor whether you maintain or not.

3. I honestly have no idea. Other than potentially squats though I don't see there being much potential for worsening the ankle? especially since you're just starting and only planning on going once or twice a week anyways.

BTW, for bulk cycles I've never seen rec'd up to 500 cals. Usually a 5-10% increase of cals is a "safe" bet, at most I'd do 15% increase or about .7lb/week gain.

As for eating surplus on lifting days, if you want. It's all about your weekly average. I eat consistent every day, it's just easier. I also don't benefit from eating more than normal on lifting days unless it was done the day BEFORE I lift.