First run today!

Options
Ventured out in the cold today after I got the kids on the bus. Tried to do couch to 5k. UM. Im not up to that yet. I couldn't finnish the first day. So I will hit the first day again tomorrow. I AM GOING TO BE A RUNNER!

Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Don't give up--the first month or two is really hard, but once you can run for 10 minutes straight it gets MUCH easier.

Read the pinned topic in Fitness and Exercise : So You Want To Start Running, and heed the advice. It is priceless.

Just remember that while your heart and lungs will adapt (relatively) quickly, it takes longer for bones, ligaments, and tendons. Once you can run for 10 minutes, you still need to slowly increase distance and speed or your body will break down before it can adapt.
  • ciscosdad
    ciscosdad Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I will read it, thanks. I will try to guard my joints.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Running in the cold sucks! More power to you! Just keep trying, and you will get there! When I started running, I did not do C25k...I just tried to run a little farther every day. Some days were better than others. I know that I can run a 5k, 4 miles, etc, but each time I run, my body has to get used to it - for like 1/2 mile. I always start slow and build up to faster. I know my friends, can be opposite - so just figure out what works for you, and do it! Good luck!
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I haven't done C25k, but over the past year I've begun running intermittently during my walks. I don't think I'll ever be a "runner" but I now find myself running about 1/3 of my 3 mile walk - and even craving that burst of speed. I hope to be running at least half of the time within the next month or so.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Tinabob777 wrote: »
    My best advice would be slow down. Like when you think you can't go slower, slow down! You'll build speed as you go, but the key to C25K is to go a pace you can finish the first day! You'll love it!! Good luck!

I learned to run in the winter here and I found one big advantage. You sweat less! I love my thermal undergear.

• lpfitzroy09
    lpfitzroy09 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started trying to do C25K about two weeks ago, because I signed up for a 5k at the end of May. Unfortunately, I wasn't ready for week 1 either. To begin I've been doing a 5 minute warm up, and then four sets of 45 second jog, 2 minute walk. This week, I'm trying to add another 45 second jog, 2 minute walk with every session. Good luck!
  • WonderWhitney11
    WonderWhitney11 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Don't quit! Running is surprisingly refreshing... I started last April, trotting light pole to light pole and walking in between. I worked up to running an entire half marathon by September! You got this... If I can do it, anyone can!
  • DeeRay101712
    DeeRay101712 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Keep trying to do day one until you got it. I've been doing the '5k Runner' app and have had to repeat some days until I was able to completed it. It is hard but really worth the effort :smiley: I want to do my first ever 5k in June.
    I love this phrase I saw somewhere - 'No matter how slow you go, you are still beating everyone on the couch. Just start moving!'
    You can do it :smiley:
  • ciscosdad
    ciscosdad Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Second day was better!!! Did over half of the first step of C25K. Baby steps.