Advice please! 5'4 and 155 pounds!

Options
Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some advice on my current plan.
I am 5'4 with a current weight of 155. I would like to get down to around 128. I am currently working out 6 days a week with a mixture of cardio and weights. My net calorie intake is 1550 per day. I tried upping this to 1700 per day but saw no weight loss in a week. Is this because I need to give my body time to adjust?

Thoughts?

Replies

• bethdunn12
    bethdunn12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You increased calorie intake? Lose weight by eating less calories and tone it at the gym.
  • uketasha
    uketasha Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey there- I used to be 167 and dropped down to 134 in three months- two years ago. I did that by walking 30 minutes a day which I said was around 200 calories and then I ate 1050 calories (so I netted 850.) Over two years and a failed pregnancy, I gained back some weight and ended up around 156 at the beginning of the year. So in 30 days I'm down to 147 with that plan ( I was 145.6 at one point!) SO I'm 5'4" and a half inches. I have never been below 134 in my regular adult life. I'm 35 years old. I really want to aim for 125-128 too!!! I know scientifically it's possible but it seems so unobtainable!!! But ... we can do it!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep at it! This is my year to conquer my body! I hope it is yours too!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    BellePaige wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some advice on my current plan.
    I am 5'4 with a current weight of 155. I would like to get down to around 128. I am currently working out 6 days a week with a mixture of cardio and weights. My net calorie intake is 1550 per day. I tried upping this to 1700 per day but saw no weight loss in a week. Is this because I need to give my body time to adjust?

Thoughts?

Why did you decided you need to up your calorie intake?

I'm about 156/155 right now and 5'4.5". My NET is only 1320. My total intake however is 1600-2000 calories generally (sometimes higher, sometimes lower). I also exercise a lot. Generally anywhere from 4-7+ hours a week.

A week isn't really enough time to see if something is working. Some weeks I lose nothing, some I gain, and some I drop a bunch all at once. However my overall trend averages out to a little faster than my planned loss per week.

If you just started exercising, plan on some water retention. This is your muscles storing water for repairs. It also happens when you up your intensity and if make changes to your exercise routine (adding something new/replacing a workout with something else that isn't a nap).

• jojooo714
    jojooo714 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also 5'4". I am currently 156 lbs. My profile pic is before I got pregnant and ballooned to 206 lbs. I was 125 lbs at the time.

I don't think a week is enough time. As a previous poster said, it could definitely be water retention. According to MFP,I should net 1320, but since I strength train and HIIT once or twice a week I try to keep my calories at around 1600.

Be patient, I am sure that it took a while to gain, so it will take a while to lose. Good luck and feel free to add me.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Stick with your plan for AT LEAST a month, and track your trend. Don't worry about day-to-day or week-to-week changes, but look at the overall trend.

If that trend isn't working, adjust accordingly, and track again for a minimum of a month.

Repeat as needed
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from the deficit, upping them if you aren't losing is counterproductive.
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and 155 lbs and I have been also working out 5-6 days (for a month now) and eating 1200 calories a day. I would also suggest lowering your calories to lose weight. You may not have to go all the way down to 1200 though. Or just give it a month and see what happens. I will say weight loss could be slow going since at your weight you aren't THAT overweight, even if you feel otherwise. I wish I could get in the 120s, but with my build it just won't ever happen. Good luck to you.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and started out at 149 pounds. I am down to 125 now and I did it netting about 1800 calories a day (because food is tasty). I averaged about 3/4 pound a week on this plan. I know some of you consider that slow, but I didn't starve myself, I have no loose skin, and I still have lots of lovely muscles that my body didn't eat for fuel. :)
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am almost 50yo, 5'3 and 136 and goal cal for the day is 1450. I tried 1200 and kept going over so I am trying 1450.

I have not started exercising reg. yet but the plan is to not eat the calories back until I get into lifting and then I will adjust.

At the moment I have a little PT to do before I jump into the full on exercise.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Your NET is 1550? and you still upped it? That's why you're not losing. Doing the math, I'd be surprised if you were burning more than 1800 - maybe 2000 a day total including your workouts, so to me you definitely seem to be eating at a maintenance level, not a loss one.