Running Programs on Elliptical??

Options
Hi - stupid question everyone!

I have a sort of elliptical (just swing back n forth not around) - was wondering what everyone thought of doing the running training programs on this? I dont mind running it - its just it keeps raining and think if its inside and dry i will do it more....Thanks everyone

Replies

• DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Do both. If you can get outside run. If you can't 'sort of elliptical'.
  • losethechalupa
    losethechalupa Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Morning!

Calorie wise, it may end up being approximately the same but if you are training to be a runner then it doesn't simulate the movement well and in my opinion you wouldn't be further along in your running goals by doing this. At least that has been my experience. Good luck!
  • mommyofatoz
    mommyofatoz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have just started the couch to 5 K on the elliptical. I still can't run after having a knee surgery back in December. I tried last week and there was still too much pain and I stopped immediately and just walked. However, doing the elliptical doesn't bother my knee, so I am just doing it that way. It works for me, at least...
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a running programme like C25K, I'd do the indoor trainer as a filler, not to replace a session. In other words just delay the next planned running session until the weather clears up.

Also, try running in the rain. People are waterproof, and you might just like it! I actually quite enjoy it as I get very overheated in sunny weather.

If your goal is to run, only running will make you better at running :)
  • asilva3111
    asilva3111 Posts: 44
    Options
    I have a sort of elliptical (just swing back n forth not around) - was wondering what everyone thought of doing the running training programs on this? I dont mind running it - its just it keeps raining and think if its inside and dry i will do it more....Thanks everyone

I use my elliptical and treadmill for all my cardio exercise. I have no excuse to get on them, turn on the TV and do cardio for 1 hour.
    The trick is being consistent. I bought a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) with a chest strap, and set it up for fat burning zone, which is 65% to 75%. I stay constant between 72% and 75%, where sometimes it does go up, but then I make sure I slow myself down. The HRM keeps track of time that I am (I)n the zone. I have noticed that if I stay for 30 minutes (I)n the fat burning zone, I will always burn between 540-600 calories. So I spend about 37 minutes on my elliptical and burn that many calories. I do the same on my treadmill. I make sure I stay within the fat burning zone and do the same 30 minutes on that zone. Obviously I do a little more than 35 minutes on each machine just to get to that zone. I have tried sprinting just to get my heart rate up and then follow with the exercise, but as fast as the heart will get to 80-90%, it drops very fast as well. So it takes a little over 3-4 minutes for it to reach that constant 72-75%. Obviously each body works different. But being in the fat burning zone for 30 minutes on ANY kind of constant exercise, you will burn 500-600 calories.

Good luck!
  • Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Maybe I will put it off till the weather clears up - Its raining really heavy hear to be honest, hailstones and thunder - dont fancy taking up running in that....I will maybe invest in a tredmill....as I would like one - just costs alot. Thanks everyone!