Any vegetarian or vegan folks here?

Options
2»

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Planted based -- fish or meat once a month or so.
    Eating lots of chick peas and lentils
    Stay away from bread and gluten.
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian by choice since I was 5 (:
    Couldn't go vegan though, I try it for a while and it's too limiting. I'm a passionate weight lifter and need my protein powder and eggs!
  • richardwestsoley
    richardwestsoley Posts: 2
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Have recently been trying a vegan diet - two weeks so far - and I have to say, I've never felt better. Less bloat, more energy, feeling healthier all round.

I was a right meat-guzzler before, and I thought I'd miss it, but not at all yet. In fact, I've found a lot of the staples (falafel, houmous etc.) really filling, and it's helped a lot beating my food cravings. I don't even notice some of the vegan substitutions, like almond milk for dairy in my coffee and on my cereal.

I'd say the only challenging thing is balancing carbs, protein and fat to the recommended ratios - I often tend to go over 30% a little on fat, but I'm getting better at selecting the right combos.

I love the simplicity of vegan food, too - my favourite lunch at the moment is two slices of rye bread with sweet chilli houmous, spinach leaves and chopped tomatoes. Yum!

Otherwise, it's been fantastic at getting my sugar and sodium levels below the red line... All good so far! :)
  • saramlu
    saramlu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian, vegan, or raw for the last 12 years. Vegan is what works best for me so I'm sticking to it! I eat raw as much as I can (around 75%). I have never felt better and have been told that I look 10 years younger than I actually am. I am a vegan cook pursuing a degree in holistic nutrition and would love to help out with any questions or recipes, so feel free to add me! I'm trying to weight train and am completely clueless so I would appreciate any help! Aloha!
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    My best friend's been vegan for 7 or 8 years now, and vegetarian before that since we were kids. I like meat, but I don't tend to eat a lot of it. I'm really good at cooking vegan though... 8 years of vegan friendship will do that.
  • demonid
    demonid Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Check out the cookbook "Get it Ripe," by Jae Steele. She has fantastic recipies, and I believe they are all vegan as well. I love her stuff.
  • Homafereydoonzad
    Options
    I am a vegetarian as well please feel free to add me so we can all get ideas!!
  • Linvala
    Linvala Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for 7 years and slowly making the switch to vegan
  • Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. It's been a good week even though I didn't get to track the calories stayed away from the junk and did much better this week. Lots of water. Next week back to the gym. Regarding the ratios, even with transitioning to vegetarian I still have too many carbs and not enough protein. Fats seem to be okay. Any suggestions?
  • ashes1017
    ashes1017 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for almost 5 years and vegan in between. I'm very limited on the dairy I eat and I raise chickens so I typically only eat their eggs. I would like to go 100% vegan and possibly raw to be as healthy as I possibly can be! I'm currently going to school to become a licensed dietician more on the holistic side. Feel free to add me!
  • KitkatcuteNYC
    KitkatcuteNYC Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I don't like labeling myself..it's just the way I am...I don't eat any meat at all and try to eat little dairy as possible..I hope to one day become fully raw :))