Lock up your cupboards

Options
Hi all,

I'm in desperate need of temptation fighting tips! I've amped up my weekly exercise from 1 hour to 6 hours yet I'm ruining all of my good work by coming home and snacking ALL DAY. My meals are fine but its those extra treats that are ruining any chance at success. Can anyone suggest ways that they have put an end to snacking?? I live with my parents and there is junk food in the house. My mum's solution is 'just don't eat it' but temptation is getting the better of me. Help :(

Replies

• georgiagorwell
    Options
    This is exactly what happens at my parents when I am home for the Summer. Here is what is did: I suggested to my mum that I lived like at Uni by having my own food cupboard. What was in my cupboard was my food and the junk in my mums cupboards was "theirs" so I felt I couldn't eat it as it would be stealing.
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, if it's there I WILL eat it. All I can suggest is trying to get your parents to buy less snacky junk foods to remove the temptation. I also read somewhere on here that someone had a similar problem and they'd decided to keep a shelf of healthy snacks that they could eat instead when the temptation arose.
  • Christie422
    Christie422 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Well I was going to say "just don't buy it", but if you live with your parents I guess that's not an option. I too have junk in my house for my kids so I deal with this a little bit...although I've gotten them to start eating healthier too. Any chance you could convince your parents in your quest to get healthy? Other than that, I'd say to prepare snacks that are better choices ahead of time so if you feel a snack attack coming on you have a healthier option.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I have my own cabinet at home for my snacks :) my kids do still eat a little junk so when I separated my snacks from their's I did a mental shift as well. That was 3 years ago & I still have my own space lol
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what happens at my parents when I am home for the Summer. Here is what is did: I suggested to my mum that I lived like at Uni by having my own food cupboard. What was in my cupboard was my food and the junk in my mums cupboards was "theirs" so I felt I couldn't eat it as it would be stealing.

I do the same thing.
  • kaizen31
    kaizen31 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

That's a great idea! I may try that, because we have way too much junk food around here.
  • jcfisk1
    jcfisk1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I find what helps me is to look at the amount of exercise it would take you to burn off those extra calories you've eaten...unless you are staying within your calorie allowance. I don't feel it worth it most of the time to have to go and take that extra 1 hour walk or do the P90X video AGAIN, just to have a chocolate bar or some chips. And like the rest of us...sometimes it gets the better of you and you have to fall off the wagon. But get back on and keep trucking! :smile:
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    can you keep fresh fruit around? I've found that when I want something sweet or crunchy fruit is very satisfying and not bad for you calorie/nutrient wise.
  • romaan
    romaan Posts: 5
    Options

Great idea. I just started dieting and being in a house full of junk food, this would be ideal. :wink: