Simple net calories question (I hope)

Options
I'm due to start my exercise routine next week which, from past history, I know will get me burning about 1000 extra calories each day.

Now, my diet loss allowance suggests 1600 calories/day which would leave me with a net calorie intake of 600 calories.

Is it OK/advisable/wrong to not bother topping up on those extra calories as generally I could quite happily go without? Or will my body not like that!

Thanks

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You could eat a bit more, guided by hunger perhaps. As you're looking to lose 75 lb from your ticker you can afford to run a higher deficit, but maybe not that high.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Your body will not like that. You should net what MFP tells you to net. Netting 600 calories per day is not healthy or sustainable. You will definitely want to eat back some of your exercise calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I'd only eat back half of them, unless I felt overly hungry.
  • Bud_
    Bud_ Posts: 116 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks all :)

So I guess once in a while is OK if I really wasn't hungry but I should aim to hit somewhere around half to net most times. Makes sense.

I suppose it's easy to get carried away and think little is better (for loss) but I know that I really need to look after my body at the same time...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Average them over the week
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    1000 calories a day from exercising? What are you doing, outrunning lions on the Serengeti?
  • JRO2685
    JRO2685 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    1000 calories a day from exercising? What are you doing, outrunning lions on the Serengeti?

Wondering the same thing...
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    OP is a male with 75-80 pounds to lose. Cardio will burn a decent # of calories based on that. Will go down of course as the weight comes off.

• Bud_
    edited February 2015
    Options
    LOL :D

I know - it does seem a bit much :o but I'm a bit of a rowing freak and fortunately have a great rower at home (in front of TV). When 'in the mode' I do at least an hour a day (quite often more), 6 days a week. As StaciMArie says, I'm a big bloke as well so there's a fair bit of huffing and puffing going on!

Cheers

• Bud_
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi again :)

Just thought I'd revisit this thread now I'm a couple of months into my exercise routine with an update on progress, which may help others with a similar question.

I've been logging all my rowing and it does average out at around 1000cals per session (just under for most days, but throw in a few half marathons here and there and this brings things up).

I have tried to eat back approx half of the daily calories expended and found that to be more than enough, enjoyable and easily sustainable.

Weight loss is going very well (51lbs to date) and I'm within 0.5lb of my halfway to goal!!

Combining the workouts and dietary weight loss has worked really well for me and the results so far are really impressive.

Hope that's of some help to others.

Onwards to my goal...
    B)
  • W_Stewart
    W_Stewart Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    What are your net calories each day?
  • Bud_
    Options
    I'm aiming to lose 2lbs a week and I'm following MFP's recommedations.

When I started off in January my daily cal goal was 1690/day and it has gradually dropped to it's current target of 1490/day.

Therefore my net cals are typically working out somewhere between 900 to 1200/day.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you are actually burning 1000 calories from additional exercise, you really should be eating more than the normal 1600 calories. Keep in mind, however, that you probably have 200 calories that are being counted twice, so 1000 calories is more like 800 calories. I would suggest eating at least 2000 if not the full 2400 on days you exercise.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    RacineFan wrote: »

When I started off in January my daily cal goal was 1690/day and it has gradually dropped to it's current target of 1490/day.

Therefore my net cals are typically working out somewhere between 900 to 1200/day.

That is too low for a man you know that right? and with 50lbs to go 1lb a week is more sustainable...I am not sure how you are sustaining the exercise to be frank...you are netting way below 1k most days...

I as a 42 YO woman eat 1800 a day and lose 1/2 a week....perspective.

THe only thing that might be saving you are the days you are way over (except that day it was all wine) and your protein levels are so low...I suspect the weight you are losing is fat and muscle...not a good thing.

• Bud_
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you are actually burning 1000 calories from additional exercise, you really should be eating more than the normal 1600 calories. Keep in mind, however, that you probably have 200 calories that are being counted twice, so 1000 calories is more like 800 calories. I would suggest eating at least 2000 if not the full 2400 on days you exercise.

I'm eating approx. 2100 when exercising.
    Around 1400 when not.

• Bud_
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

That is too low for a man you know that right? and with 50lbs to go 1lb a week is more sustainable...I am not sure how you are sustaining the exercise to be frank...you are netting way below 1k most days...

I as a 42 YO woman eat 1800 a day and lose 1/2 a week....perspective.

THe only thing that might be saving you are the days you are way over (except that day it was all wine) and your protein levels are so low...I suspect the weight you are losing is fat and muscle...not a good thing.

At present it's easily sustainable and healthy. There is still quite a way to go and I see dropping to 1lb per week in a month or two.

Not really sure where you're getting your data from as far as I can see going over cals has been few and far between (4 in the last 90 days).

I had spotted that I need to increase the protein a little which I've been attempting to resolve over the last few weeks. Thanks
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options

It amazes me that people will still try and tell you that you're doing it wrong, even though you know what you're doing and still losing weight on target. Keep up the great work @RacineFan
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I'm eating approx. 2100 when exercising.
    Around 1400 when not.

not based on your diary you aren't...

for example

Sunday you ate 1465...exercised 935...net 530....
    Saturday you ate 1575...exercised 935...net 640....
    Friday you ate 1275...exercised 935...net 340

never mind your protein levels are 88, 83, 91....for those three days.

On Thursday you were over by 665 but that also includes 400 calories in wine.

and this trend continues as far back as I have gone....

• ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    not based on your diary you aren't...

for example

Sunday you ate 1465...exercised 935...net 530....
    Saturday you ate 1575...exercised 935...net 640....
    Friday you ate 1275...exercised 935...net 340

never mind your protein levels are 88, 83, 91....for those three days.

On Thursday you were over by 665 but that also includes 400 calories in wine.

and this trend continues as far back as I have gone....

And this is the reason why most people leave their diaries private. Give the guy a break, he didn't ask for a review of his diary, he just reported back with how things were going.
  • Bud_
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @SezxyStef I have a life - I'm not a robot. Averages etc