dream job

Options
I graduate nursing school in 88 days. I can't teach patients to take care of themselves if I am overweight. I'm looking to drop 15-20 before graduation to be in my OK range.

Replies

• Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on that amazing accomplishment! Nursing school is tough...my sister-in-law is a nurse and she too put on weight during school. She swears it was wearing scrubs every day that it wasn't until she put on a pair of jeans that she realized that she had put on more weight than she had thought she had.

Depending on your starting stats, that goal should be attainable. What are you doing to lose weight? Perhaps I could suggest starting a lifting program as well as eating at a slight deficit to lower your body fat percentage.
  • dbra58
    dbra58 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your graduation! I'm a nurse (NICU), and appreciate your comment about teaching patients to take care of themselves. That said, remember that you are human, and nursing is a stressful job! I've been a nurse for almost 7 years, and gained 25 pounds the first 6. The more I gained, the worse I felt. Finally last May I started this journey, I'm down 23 pounds with another 10 to go. The more fit I become, the higher my confidence, and the higher my confidence, the better my job goes. It's still stressful, but now I handle that stress by coming home and going for a long walk instead of stuffing my face. Good luck to you!
  • I don't believe that that's entirely true, everyone has obstacles in life; that make being healthy a challenge. I'd agree if it's do to laziness, however if it's due to disability; medication, time, finances (healthy food, costs more), unable to grow your own produce (for instance, my apartment building; doesn't receive enough sunlight), I disagree. I believe that the best approach, is to teach patients/remind yourself as well; what's within reason for them/you instead of for most & if you're overweight when you graduate, you can choose to make it known to your patients; why you are. If it's because of a valid reason instead of a convenient excuse, they'll understand; especially if they're in the same boat. Our society tends to view those that're overweight, as it all being their fault; that's typically fiction. Many times obese people are viewed as eating too much, when in fact; it's because of what their eating. The unhealthy foods are cheap, the healthy foods are expensive, which is why; it's the poor rather than the rich; that're the most likely to be overweight/obese & being poverty stricken, isn't always someone's fault either.