So Discouraged..

Options
This past weekend, my grandma had a dinner party planned for the family. Of course, it was all going to be Korean food. I know Korean food has a lot of sodium and the menu was going to be cold buckwheat noodle dish and Korean bbq short ribs. To prepare myself for this dinner, I worked out extra and cut back all my calories on all other meals to have more than enough cals for that dinner. Well, I stayed within my calorie limits, and the next morning was my weigh day. I didn't lose a single pound from my last weigh in (week before).

That same day, grandma invites us over for lunch saying she needs us to eat some of the leftovers because it was too much. So again, I go work out, even more than the day before because I wanted to try and catch up a little for the day before AND have extra calories burned for that day's lunch. I stopped eating at 5pm so that I can try and do a mini fast and empty myself a little and weighed the next morning... said I gained 5lbs. X_X!!! Soooo, it's not that I feel like giving up, but I feel like I can never eat Korean food again. UGH! Not even just Korean food, I feel like I can't eat anything other than what I prepare myself until I'm at least 10lbs under my goal weight so if I do eat anything other than what I prepare, I have 10lb fluctuating space or something... :(

Replies

• Lisajohnston
    Lisajohnston Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You said there was lots of sodium, maybe it's just temporary because of the sodium?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If you are positive you were under your calories, it was obviously water weight due to sodium. Just drink some extra water.
  • YumiZoomi
    Options
    So.. I knew there was lot of sodium so I tried to flush it out by drinking a gallon of water afterwards on BOTH days. Maybe it didn't flush out.. and both gallons got stuck ? LOL

I'm not so worried that my weight didn't go down or what not because all the million reasons it could have other than fat pounds. Not to mention I started weights last week Monday.. and I read muscle repair can retain water or something too..

I'm just discouraged about ever eating food not made by me.. which is not that ideal since a lot of social gathering with friends and family or even travelling all involve a lot of eating out.
  • bettybing1
    bettybing1 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You sound like you have a designated weigh-in day, and when you got to it you maintained. Guess what? That's awesome because losing every single week is hard and very few people (especially women) manage it.
    Secondly, sod that 5lb "gain". I wouldn't trust it - stick to your weekly weigh-in before you even think to punish yourself.
    Finally, if you can't have a blow out, be it a family meal or a birthday or whatever, then this diet isn't sustainable because life is unpredictable. And if you constantly regulate yourself on special occasions you'll resent the people, the diet, or stop going to them. I think most people hope a diet will make their lives better, not limit them because of calorie intake.

You're doing an amazing job and your staying power is enviable, but be kind to yourself.
  • YumiZoomi
    Options
    Thanks bettybing1.. you are right that life is unpredictable and I definitely don't want to resent the people or the diet. I truly hope calorie counting isn't going to be a forever thing.. ;/ I really want to be like my brother.. eat whatever I want and never gain. LOL Gosh!