Half Marathon Training Advice

Options
Hey, all,
Getting ready to train for my next Half Marathon. Last year we followed a 4 day a week running(jogging) only schedule with 1 long run a week. I ran a 2:20. Nothing spectacular, but was proud for my first race. I am wanting to do things a little differently. I have been lifting pretty heavy for the last 3 months and have gained some pretty good muscles and don't want to lose them, but don't want to add any more weight to have to carry through these runs. So, my question to you is, if my goal is to train for this half marathon, but also lose weight and/or NOT lose my booty/muscles that I've been lifting to get, what would be a good schedule?

Should I run 3 days and lift 3 days? Run 4 days lift 2 days? Run 3/4 days and do TurboFire/Insanity/Combat, etc on the off days? How can I incorporate all the things I'm trying to do without over training?

I appreciate any input!

Replies

• Luvbeers
    Options
    I can only say that last September I ran the half-marathon in 2:03 with some steam leftover. During the summer months I ran 4.5-8km in the mornings 2-3 times a week and biked about 37km on the weekends. The last weekend before the marathon weekend I ran 10km both on Sat and Sun then maybe another 6-8km on Tuesday then abstained until the marathon the next Sunday. I was a pretty even 79kg the whole time. I only do about 100 10kg curls in two 50 curl sets after I run so wouldn't know about anymore rigorous of a schedule.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Some runners lift as well. I run 5-6 days a week, but I'm crazy. For a half marathon, I would say 4 days a week sounds solid. You can lift the other 2 days, or do whatever you want. I don't think you will lose your muscle if you are careful with your diet. Running expends a lot of energy and must be replaced with a balance of carbs, protein and fat, but mostly carbs. If you are eating enough carbs for your running and protein for your muscle maintenance and repair, I don't see how you will have any issues. The people who seem to have issues are those who are not fueled properly. When I was training for my first half last winter/spring, I lost weight on accident, because running was new to me at the time and I didn't know how to fuel.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Some runners lift as well. I run 5-6 days a week, but I'm crazy. For a half marathon, I would say 4 days a week sounds solid. You can lift the other 2 days, or do whatever you want. I don't think you will lose your muscle if you are careful with your diet. Running expends a lot of energy and must be replaced with a balance of carbs, protein and fat, but mostly carbs. If you are eating enough carbs for your running and protein for your muscle maintenance and repair, I don't see how you will have any issues. The people who seem to have issues are those who are not fueled properly. When I was training for my first half last winter/spring, I lost weight on accident, because running was new to me at the time and I didn't know how to fuel.

Yep. Losing weight or muscle mass is dependant on your diet, not how much you run. I usually run 5 days a week and I still weigh about 223. Your weight is a function of your NET calories. If you workout more, eat more. Problem solved.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Is your goal to just finish the half or improve???? I am hoping to run a sub 2-hour half this year, so will be following one of Hal Higdon's Advanced Half programs this go. (Current PR is 2:06.) If you are looking to just finish the race well & strong, I would say 3-4 days training should be sufficient with maybe 3 weight training days. As I'm hoping to improve my times and efficiency, I run 6 days a week and throw on 2 weight training sessions per week, but may reduce the intensity of the weight sessions as the running program ramps up.

I think it may be difficult to really focus on improving both lifting AND running if you have high goals for each. Which one is most important to you??
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Skip the lifting, or lift one day a week. You can go back to lifting when the race is over. But, lifting makes running really hard. The day after lifting, you are slow and your muscles are tired. Sometimes, the muscle fatigue lasts two days. Slow, heavy runs impinge on your running training. Try it. You'll see. I think you will find that you do not want to lift very much while training for a race, not if you care about your finish time.
    I suspect you will not lose much muscle if you are running and eating decently.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I do my runs first, then do the weights, same day. I may not be able to perform as strong on the weights as if I was fully rested, but my focus is on my running training. I run 3 times per week, Tue, Thu, Sat with long run on Saturdays. This gives me a rest day between each run and weight session, with a nice rest after the long run.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I suppose it is worth mentioning that my weight training focuses on torso and core. Not legs. My legs/glutes get their workout from running.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I run 3 - 4 days a week and lift 2 - 3 days a week. I usually run before lifting but not always. Sometimes they're on different days and sometimes they're not. I generally focus on upper body and core but every couple weeks I do mix some leg work in too.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I just finished running a full marathon (my first last Sunday with 4:42 time) and I have run 8 1/2s. My PR in a 1/2 is 2:03. I was really strong at the finish of the marathon and felt like I could go for miles more. I do think for me that the weight training (cross training) I did helped me not hit that nasty wall.

I found for myself that running 3 days a week was perfect for me. My legs were strong and so was the rest of my body.

My week looked like this:
    Sunday- long run
    Monday- spin class
    Tuesday- shorter run (4-6 miles) every other week yoga
    Wednesday- body pump (weight class)
    Thursday- training session (TRX, cross fit, HIIT, or Tabata)
    Friday- medium run (7-9 miles)
    Saturday- training session (weight, TRX, HIIT, or Tabata)

That worked for me of course it is not for everyone but it gives you an idea. I did find that once my core got stronger my runs became easier for me.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Is your goal to just finish the half or improve???? I am hoping to run a sub 2-hour half this year, so will be following one of Hal Higdon's Advanced Half programs this go. (Current PR is 2:06.) If you are looking to just finish the race well & strong, I would say 3-4 days training should be sufficient with maybe 3 weight training days. As I'm hoping to improve my times and efficiency, I run 6 days a week and throw on 2 weight training sessions per week, but may reduce the intensity of the weight sessions as the running program ramps up.

I think it may be difficult to really focus on improving both lifting AND running if you have high goals for each. Which one is most important to you??

Time isn't important. I'd be content with my same time. I am actually content with maintaining on both weights and running.

• msthang444
    Options
    I just finished running a full marathon (my first last Sunday with 4:42 time) and I have run 8 1/2s. My PR in a 1/2 is 2:03. I was really strong at the finish of the marathon and felt like I could go for miles more. I do think for me that the weight training (cross training) I did helped me not hit that nasty wall.

I found for myself that running 3 days a week was perfect for me. My legs were strong and so was the rest of my body.

My week looked like this:
    Sunday- long run
    Monday- spin class
    Tuesday- shorter run (4-6 miles) every other week yoga
    Wednesday- body pump (weight class)
    Thursday- training session (TRX, cross fit, HIIT, or Tabata)
    Friday- medium run (7-9 miles)
    Saturday- training session (weight, TRX, HIIT, or Tabata)

That worked for me of course it is not for everyone but it gives you an idea. I did find that once my core got stronger my runs became easier for me.

Did you do specific core exercises?
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    @msthang444 my gym has Les Mills CX Works which is a core class but I have also gone on to Pintrest and gotten some really great core workouts. All you need to do is type that into the search in Pintrest. I do a lot of planks. HA
  • BellaVegas
    BellaVegas Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congrats MsThang! I think 2:20 is a solid time for a beginner. I'm training for my first half too and want to finish in<2:30. What was your average pace when you started training for your half? Did it improve closer to your race? Thanks
  • msthang444
    Options
    I started about 13:00. Got down to 10:30 ish. Back up around 11:15 ish