Dangerous Compliments!

Options
jdg1mfp
jdg1mfp Posts: 103
"you look fine" , "i wish I looked like you", "they gonna think you sick", "you already skinny", " you don't look that old", "why you trying to lose weight", " wish my friend looked like you", "at your age you shouldn't be worried about that anymore", ..... etc.

You start hearing these when you are down to those last few pounds (for me ~20) and before you know it you are sidetracked and starting all over.

Problem is that when you are getting the complements they mean no harm but they have not seen where you are coming from and don't know how much that ultimate goal means to you.

This has happened to me time and time again but not anymore. It's no longer about the aesthetics but about the lifestyle and longevity. I'm don't want to run out of time and I'm gonna make it before I turn 50 if it kills me. LOL

Replies

• dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Completely agree!! I kept using the compliments as a reason (an excuse) to eat those desserts/pasta/bread/whatever. It's a mind game, for certain!
  • jackiekjames
    Options
    I couldn't agree more...its great that you realize its all about a lifestyle and health and looking good is just a bonus...LOL keep it up!
  • Jojo42
    Jojo42 Posts: 223
    Options
    The compliments are great but the feeling when you get to your goal will be even better!! Well done on an awesome journey so far.
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Your picture looks awesome! I hear similar compliments. The thing is, people are so used to seeing me fat that when I look more 'normal', they think I'm too skinny. I have the type of frame that I'll never be 'skinny' -- but that's not my goal. I just want to have a normal weight for my frame and height. I just know that the compliment givers mean well...... Keep up your great work :smile:
  • waster196
    waster196 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm with you here. Too many compliments can have a negative effect as they get into any cracks you may already have in your will power!

Thank you, it's lovely that you think I'm looking well and all, but please, don't sabotage me! :)
  • southernstrix
    Options
    every damn time! And you love it because it's nice to hear but then you're like "i wish you wouldn't because I need to keep going". My mom and I have a rule that she's not allowed to comment. it's just easier that way. but that definitely happened to me this last time when I lost 40 and then everyone started noticing all of a sudden and then BAM! weight gain.

KEEP GOING, YOU'RE DOING GREAT!
  • christinad95
    christinad95 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Wow, very well said.
  • janetv3
    janetv3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    it's true.... when you have a goal you should go after it..... some people tell me are you sick, because I lost weight..... good luck on achieving your goal...:flowerforyou:
  • sessaleigh
    sessaleigh Posts: 45
    Options
    I totally struggle with that. Especially when I'm with friends who are not watching what they eat. They tell me how skinny I look now so it's ok to go ahead and eat more cake. "Oh no, you look great, you don't have to diet anymore". lol I think they are missing the point! If I stop watching what I eat I'm not still going to be this weight!
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    So, so true. Keep doing this for you. It may be time to put in some ear plugs and keep your eyes on the finish line:smile:
  • krevill
    krevill Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that I am not the only person this happens to, I lose a few pounds and when people comment I use it as an excuse to eat. I have already decided this is one of the biggest issues I have to overcome on this weight loss journey.
  • jdg1mfp
    Options
    Wow!
    Since you all know where I'm coming from I'll graciously accept all the compliments I can get! :laugh:
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Wow!
    Since you all know where I'm coming from I'll graciously accept all the compliments I can get! :laugh:

You look mighty cute!
  • jdg1mfp
    Options
    Wow!

You look mighty cute!

Thank You .....LMAO!
  • CommittohealthCHANGED
    CommittohealthCHANGED Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I agree
  • Adelphia
    Adelphia Posts: 176
    Options
    Totally understand, in a difference sense. It's great when I'm trying to recover from an eating disorder and people tell me that I looked so much better when I was skinny. I'm 95lb. Really, guys. I appreciate your concern for my life. :noway:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Funny!
    I keep getting the same back handed compliment from the same person
    she writes to me everytime I post/send a pic

You look FABULOUS....have u lost weight? You look Fantastic 'NOW'!!

I know she means well ,but it makes u think how bad did I look before..LOL
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    That comment is right there with, "What, you've lost 30lbs? Yep, I can really see it in your face..." How freakin big did my head look 30lbs ago?
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Totally agree...It use to discourage me when people say " Why are you trying to lose so much weight" or "You are starving yourself". Not knowing that most people that stick with a workout plan and eating selective eat more than a person that doesn't care. If only they know but you keep doing your outstanding work and always know that in the end as long as you are making yourself happy..Thats truely what counts..