Pregnancy and goal calorie intake?

Options
machuril
machuril Posts: 24 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I am 24 weeks pregnant, 5'2.5" and average BMI. Starting preg weight was about 116-117 lbs. I've eaten healthy up until this past week. Cravings are getting me, so I started tracking again in MfP.

What's a good goal cal intake for my height/weight? I bumped it up to 1700/day, does this seem too low/high?

Replies

• PammieSuzyQ
    PammieSuzyQ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken with the dietician in your OB/GYN's office yet? I would really begin there because they would have access to all of your health files and know more about you and your baby than we would.
  • machuril
    Options
    No dietician there and I go back to OB on Tues. Everything so far is healthy, no symptoms and I workout about 3 days/week moderately. I will ask my Dr, just wondering if anyone has BtDT recently and knows a decent amount of cals to not gain too quickly.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    A little internet search: the consensus seems to be that you need more than typical maintenance during pregnancy. About 350/day more for the 2nd trimester and 500/day more for third. We don't know your activity level. I imagine you're looking to maintain (ultimately) your prepregnancy weight, with just standard/routine gain? Perhaps use one of the online tools to estimate your TDEE and add from there.

Perhaps also discuss with your OB who knows your case better than internet strangers. :) Occasionally giving into cravings should not be a major concern. Its the habits that get us in the end.
  • machuril
    Options
    Thanks. I plan on asking and I had heard about 300 extra cals to intake was a good goal. Just wondering if anyone had recently been through it. I'm fairly active so I'm not too concerned just want to be eating enough.
  • PammieSuzyQ
    Options
    I did not diet at all during my four pregnancies, I needed to gain weight back then. But I never did that whole "eat for 2" bullcrap either. I simply enlarged my portions Slightly, made sure to eat breakfast, (something I normally do not do), added a snack or two, and ate healthier foods than usual. The pregnancy weight came off with breastfeeding. As long as I didn't give bottles at all, the weight came off easily, and the longer I breastfed, the longer the weight continued to melt away. But this is only MY experience, which is why talking with your own doctor is best.
  • PammieSuzyQ
    Options
    When you have a craving, try to examine what nutrients are in the food, maybe there is something your body is asking for like extra proteins, or vitamins. And then again, sometimes a craving is just that, a craving. Nothing nutritious in a twinkie, LOL!

If you have strange cravings, called "Pica", (which are not completely uncommon during pregnancy), a desire for things like chalk, dirt, clay, soap, glass, sand, or even just ice, call your doctor immediately.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You need a profile picture to be taken seriously here.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    What are your maintenance calories at your current weight? I would recommend talking to your OB/GYN about recommended calories, but see if they agree with taking your maintenance calories and adding 300 on top of that.
  • smille01
    smille01 Posts: 32 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doctor, as others have mentioned. The baby will take what I needs from you as far as calories and nutrients, so make sure you're eating enough to support you as well as the baby. I got quite big during my pregnancy (weight at delivery was 190) and had no issues losing the weight, I'm actually smaller than before I got pregnant (thanks to chasing around my very active son!) Also I did not breastfeed and that did not hinder my weight loss at all.
  • PammieSuzyQ
    Options
    LOL! And that being said, you need a proper pic of yourself to be taken seriously. ;)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    LOL! And that being said, you need a proper pic of yourself to be taken seriously. ;)

I am a bellybutton. Don't tell me how to live my life!
  • PammieSuzyQ
    Options

I am a bellybutton. Don't tell me how to live my life!
    clean that bit of lint out! *giggles*