Fighting sugar...the Temptations...

Options
How do you cut back on sugary sweets, candy, cereals? Whats helped you? How did you resist the temptations??
... I have a sweet tooth it seems like all the time, I just crave candy and don't know how to kick it! Two years ago I did awesome with only allowing myself sweets on cheat days, lost weight and gained muscle. I fell off the eating healthy and exercise wagon a few months ago, I let it all go... I'm wanting to jump back in and be that person I was 2 yrs ago... I need motivation!! :D

Replies

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Cutting foods with added sugar completely out of my diet is the only thing that works for me. I wish I could just have it as a rare treat, but I have learned over the years that my rare treats tend to become daily overconsumption very quickly. I hope you aren't like me and can just moderate. It's much easier that way.
  • kalawhon
    kalawhon Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    So true Jolinia, if I try to cut it out of my everyday life, then maybe the temptation wont be there... :( that's so hard.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    My weakness is fireballs. Silly, I know but I allow myself 3 a day and then I'm done!
  • firegurl126
    firegurl126 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. My will power sucks when it comes to things like pastries, cakes, candies.......and I love cereal! I just stopped buying it. I make sure I eat before I go grocery shopping and only put the good stuff in my cart. No matter how much it was "on sale". I still get the cravings, but the closest I get to sweets when I fade my cupboards is dried fruit. I still like the cereal but I get the healthy stuff.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    The only time I have issues with sweets is shark week. Outside of that, I have issues with the most delicious of carbs, BREAD.

If I got to a restaurant, I can leave dessert, no issue. But you know I'm eating the whole bread basket.

I have found that the only thing to do is to monitor and cut back. I try to have at least one meal without a starch. Eventually, it just gets easier and I crave it less provided it is out of sight.
  • Jolinia
    Options
    kalawhon wrote: »
    So true Jolinia, if I try to cut it out of my everyday life, then maybe the temptation wont be there... :( that's so hard.

You could try for a limited time, like a month, that won't be hard because you know at the end of the month you can add it back and see if you can moderate easier. I know there are people who have done this and have far less problems with sugar now, I'm just not one of them!
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    Cutting foods with added sugar completely out of my diet is the only thing that works for me. I wish I could just have it as a rare treat, but I have learned over the years that my rare treats tend to become daily overconsumption very quickly.

so much this.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I have at least three Jolly Rancher Fireballs during the day to curb my sweet tooth:) I don't crave breads or pastries but I want my coffee dripping sweet and that's been the hardest for me to cut back on. So far I'm on Day 8 (lol..yes still counting) of no added sugar to my coffee.
  • kalawhon
    Options
    The only time I have issues with sweets is shark week. Outside of that, I have issues with the most delicious of carbs, BREAD.

If I got to a restaurant, I can leave dessert, no issue. But you know I'm eating the whole bread basket.

I have found that the only thing to do is to monitor and cut back. I try to have at least one meal without a starch. Eventually, it just gets easier and I crave it less provided it is out of sight.

I believe my cravings really go off the wall during TOM, so It's def. an issue, especially CHOCOLATE.. OMG.. lol..
  • kalawhon
    Options
    I have the same problem. My will power sucks when it comes to things like pastries, cakes, candies.......and I love cereal! I just stopped buying it. I make sure I eat before I go grocery shopping and only put the good stuff in my cart. No matter how much it was "on sale". I still get the cravings, but the closest I get to sweets when I fade my cupboards is dried fruit. I still like the cereal but I get the healthy stuff.

Good ideas.. thank you! I have a 6 yr old son who I buy for and my hubby and him HATES fruit & veggies..:( I try to stock up on healthy eats, but then buy stuff they like as well, and it's so tempting,, especially icecream.. they are always wanting that, and I give in. :/ I guess you can blame me for not pushing my son to eat healthier at an earlier age.. maybe one day he'll not be so dang picky!! I could stop buying junk food completely but then they will go buy it themselves..
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cutting way back on starches helps cut out sweets.
  • kalawhon
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »

You could try for a limited time, like a month, that won't be hard because you know at the end of the month you can add it back and see if you can moderate easier. I know there are people who have done this and have far less problems with sugar now, I'm just not one of them!

I have tried that in the past and made it halfway through the month, It was rewarding to see how long I can go without anything sweet... I started a new workout plan Monday, and so far have eaten better since.. I've prepped everything Sunday, and have loads of healthy eats on hand,.. the temptation is at work, those machines are awful and I get bored sometimes sitting behind a desk 10 hrs a day so I sometime purchase skittles..(to wake me up? Ha) guess I could just stop carrying lose change around, and start waking when I do get bored.. ?!?
  • kalawhon
    Options
    I think I'll take you up on that advice Jolinia... I can at least try once this month.. Just have to say NO whenever the temptation comes and remember why I'm doing it.
  • Jolinia
    Options
    I think I'll take you up on that advice Jolinia... I can at least try once this month.. Just have to say NO whenever the temptation comes and remember why I'm doing it.

You can do it, just set a date and tell yourself you can wait until then. As for boredom at work, you could take up knitting or crocheting if you have hands free time. It's fun. Just make your boss a hat if he/she complains. ;)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I avoided the temptation by including a dessert every day, the serving size changes daily based on what I can fit into my day, but knowing it was there took away any craving. When I tell myself I can't have something it makes me want it that much more.
  • whackyjackie
    whackyjackie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey and just stopped eating sugar except in veg, fruit and dairy. I limited myself to 24 grams of sugar a day in hidden foods. I didn't cut back on anything else and ate full fat everything- cheese, milk and yogurt even alcohol. I've lost 15lbs since beginning of Nov and don't even feel like I've tried. I even kept it up over Xmas. I have included sweet food cooking with dextrose to make biscuits and cakes using David Gillespies 'sweet poison' recipes. I used to be able to demolish a packet of biscuits or box of chocs in one fell swoop. So I do no about a sweet tooth. I now realise why. It has us hooked. It's an addiction.
    It's not for everyone but its working for me.