FitBit Reviews

Options
I was thinking about getting a FitBit. Someone said to get the ChargerHR (for what I would need) . Any views on this and if it helped you or not. Also I have heard the "small" is for children and I should get a large. Thank you.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What are you going to use it for and how big is your wrist?

I have a flex and a zip...I downgraded to the zip so I could wear bracelets again and not have to charge it every few days, I also don't need to track sleep and prefer the visual display

I already have an HRM (polar ft4) which I use for workouts
  • emma_vdv
    emma_vdv Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a Flex and it is amazing, really helps me understand how much activity I need per day and the impact it has. Mine came with two different size straps, the small is quite short
  • c3bo
    c3bo Posts: 6
    Options
    I have the zip and love it. You don't get to track your heart rate but it does the trick for tracking your steps and it fits nicely pretty much anywhere. Down side to zip is the case, the case started falling apart after 8 months.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I love my charge hr. It tracks my calorie burn for me and syncs it to mfp automatically.

As for size, you wear it a fingers widths above the wrist bone (3 or 4 when exercising) so a small is for children. I have a large, and an xl might be better.
  • alabella
    alabella Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have the flex and I love it. Not sure why people are saying the small band is for children - I am a petite woman and I wear the small band.
  • jayvan9
    jayvan9 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a Charge HR, but the heart rate monitoring function is defective. I contacted Fitbit about the problem, and they are sending me a replacement Charge HR. I'm hoping all of the replacement's features will work properly. Other than that, it's been a great device. What you heard about the sizing of the Charge HR was correct -- I got the small size because I wore the small size band for the Flex, but the small Charge HR can barely fit on my wrist it's so tiny. So beware of that. Good luck!
  • mdickinson304
    Options
    I got the Charge HR a couple of weeks ago and really like it. It helps me be a little more active...I'm cognizant of the steps I am taking. It may be overestimating my daily caloric burn though. FitBit automatically subtracts calories based on activity level, not just your workouts. To counter this overestimation I make sure to track my workouts and then just add back the difference between the calories burned in the workout and the calories FitBit adjusted. (i.e. I workout and the band says I burned 300 cal during the workout...based on the rest of my daily activity FitBit adjustment is 700 cal...I do "quick add calories" for the 400 calorie difference).
  • Sued0nim
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I got the Charge HR a couple of weeks ago and really like it. It helps me be a little more active...I'm cognizant of the steps I am taking. It may be overestimating my daily caloric burn though. FitBit automatically subtracts calories based on activity level, not just your workouts. To counter this overestimation I make sure to track my workouts and then just add back the difference between the calories burned in the workout and the calories FitBit adjusted. (i.e. I workout and the band says I burned 300 cal during the workout...based on the rest of my daily activity FitBit adjustment is 700 cal...I do "quick add calories" for the 400 calorie difference).

Don't understand this at all

Set your activity to sedentary and enable negative adjustments and surely the fitbit will adjust based on activity during the day?

Although how the formulae can underpin calorie burn across steps and different workouts is beyond me ..an HRM is only good for steady state cardio
  • mdickinson304
    Options
    @rabbitjb‌
    Yes, MyFitnessPal is set to sedentary and I do have negative adjustments enabled. Despite this, on most days I walk 10,000+ steps and FitBit is going to calorie adjust and count it as exercise. I've found it is an overestimate for me, so I "undo" it by quick adding calories eaten. My FitBit has been telling me I am burning near 2,500 calories per day, on average. At 34 years old with a full-time desk job this seems highly unlikely.
  • jcim1ru
    jcim1ru Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Loved my Fitbit One - very discrete and does a great job for logging walking and stair climbing. I also got value out of the silent alarm feature. I used the sleep tracker feature too and that was very helpful.

I recently upgraded to a Charge HR and I love it as well.

I plan to hang onto my One for those days when I don't want to shout to the world that I'm wearing a fitness tracker.

Fitbit keeps me honest on activity and reminds me to get up and get moving. Of the trackers I researched it was the perfect 'fit' for me. I have friends that have their favorites and I think it all comes down to what you plan to track. Walking, stairs, etc - great. If your fitness is not focused in those areas then research and choose the one that fits your fitness style best.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and I really like it. The HR trackers do not work for me as I am on a beta blocker for heart rhythm and it keeps heart rate artificially low even when working out. The Fitbit motivates me to keep moving more.
  • jenna80302
    jenna80302 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit but I use it as a glorified pedometer... I would suggest removing the calories burned all together from the app (its in accurate). I like the sleep functionality but I don't know how accurate it is. Regardless... Once integrated with the the myfitnesspal app its is a great additional tool to have in your arsenal.
  • IHStevenson
    IHStevenson Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thank you guys!!!! I'm a "walker" and that is my main "exercise" I do daily. I also use the steps in my apartment a fair amount. I would like something that will tell me how many calories I burn, my heart rate during exercise and tell me how many miles I walk per day. The FitBit ChargerHR would be a nice tool to have, but I'm worried it is not accurate and will give me false numbers which I do not want.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    My fitbit has always given me accurate numbers based on weight loss over time.

I generally get back 3-400 calories for a 10k day
  • Adrianox85
    Adrianox85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just recently purchased a Fitbit Charge. I was going to get a Fitbit ChargeHR but every review I read online said the heart rate wasn't accurate. I can't vouch for the claim but I saw a lot of them so I decided not to risk it.