Food Suggestions?

I am in need of suggestions on what exactly to eat! This is the hardest part for me. I'm accepting of all ideas for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. Shoot your recipes my way as I do love to cook. Also, I'd like to know of some good workout videos that I could buy that are challenging, and actually work. Most are bogus, and you never see any results.

Thanks all,

Lyndsie

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Go browse through skinnytaste.com and the recipes board
  • Thank you so much! I will give those both a look right now! As for the work out video, have you used it yourself and seen any results?
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    You can check out my instagram page if you have IG. myfitnesspal_steph38878. I post food pics of meals that I cook. I will gladly send recipe if you see anything you like.
  • lamerson93
    lamerson93 Posts: 23
    edited February 2015
    Steph, that would be much appreciated! I don't have an Instagram anymore though. Is it accessible without having one? I had set it up a long time ago, but never really got into it. If need-be, I'd make another just to see your posts, but if you have any other means of sharing, I am definitely interested! :) thanks for your reply!!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Skinny Taste is a great healthy blog. I also love Thug Kitchen.

I've done LOTS of home workout videos; outside of training for races they are the only way I exercise. I do not have a gym membership. I have done Windsor Pilates, Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and Yoga Inferno, Brazil Butt Lift, Focus T25, P90X3, PiYo, Insanity and Insanity Max:30 (doing that one right now).
  • Sued0nim
    lamerson93 wrote: »
    Thank you so much! I will give those both a look right now! As for the work out video, have you used it yourself and seen any results?

Personally I use a trainer at my gym but really believe in lifting heavy and the bodyweight exercises on nerdfitness are good basic bodyweight exercises that can get you moving in that direction

• sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Also, I'd like to know of some good workout videos that I could buy that are challenging, and actually work. Most are bogus, and you never see any results.

Lyndsie

I don't think most workout videos are bogus. All the ones I've come across work just fine. Whatever you get, you've got to stick with. You can't do a workout video for a week and expect results. You can half *kitten* a video or you can give it your all. It doesn't matter what video you get, what matters is how much effort you put into it. As long as you're getting at least 30 minutes of exercise a day and eating right, you should see results.

My personal favorite was 30 day Shread.

• NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Eating well has some great menu ideas.

Breakfast. I enjoy egg white omelets with a variety of vegetables. Oatmeal. Toast. Yogurt.

Snacks. I normally have one with protein such as cheese or yogurt. The other is a fruit.

Lunch. Soups. frozen meals; tuna; wraps made with turkey, chicken, etc. I grilled a large pack of boneless chicken breast. I had it on a chef salad last night. I then sliced it for a pita pocket today.

For dinner, I try to eat a balanced plate with protein such as fish, chicken, lean red meats, pork or turkey with a good carb and a vegetable. One of my favorites is eggplant parmesan with whole wheat pasta. You can add meat to it also.

Blackened catfish is the bomb.

I try taking what I enjoy eating and make it lighter.

Also, check out the what's for supper, what does your meals look like and what's for breakfast forum threads. It can give you ideas.
  • Elleloch,

I'll check out Thug Kitchen too! So far, Skinny Taste seems to check out good. :) As for all of the work out video suggestions, thank you so much! I'm about to research where to buy the one that you're currently doing. I have a couple that I bought a few years ago, and I never saw any results. I kept up with it too, so that was really disappointing. Especially discouraging when I would sweat my tail off thinking that I was having progress! What's the best one for thighs, and stomach?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Eat foods you like in moderation, don't eat foods you don't like just because some faceless entity has deemed it "healthy" (in my case, that's kale & quinoa. don't like them, won't eat them)
    Blogs I've used:
    poorgirleatswell.com
    canyoustayfordinner.com
    emilybites.com
    skinnytaste.com
    smittenkitchen.com
    pinterest is great as well

I don't do workout videos. But plenty of people have had success here with the Jillian Michaels' ones. Your results will depend how much effort you put in and how consistent you are.
  • Sued0nim
    Elleloch,

I'll check out Thug Kitchen too! So far, Skinny Taste seems to check out good. :) As for all of the work out video suggestions, thank you so much! I'm about to research where to buy the one that you're currently doing. I have a couple that I bought a few years ago, and I never saw any results. I kept up with it too, so that was really disappointing. Especially discouraging when I would sweat my tail off thinking that I was having progress! What's the best one for thighs, and stomach?

Lifting heavy things and putting them down again

:grinning:
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Elleloch,

Lifting heavy things and putting them down again

:grinning:

I second heavy lifting
  • chimebird
    chimebird Posts: 57 Member
    This MFP thread is awesome for inspiration:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/823358/what-do-your-meals-look-like-show-me-pictures/
    No recipes, just hundreds (thousands?) of photos of what MFPers eat.
  • Perfect! Thank you!! :)
    Thank you so much! I will give those both a look right now! As for the work out video, have you used it yourself and seen any results?

Personally I use a trainer at my gym but really believe in lifting heavy and the bodyweight exercises on nerdfitness are good basic bodyweight exercises that can get you moving in that direction

• elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Most of the ones I suggested, including Insanity Max:30 are sold through Beachbody.

You cannot target specific areas for fat loss, unfortunately. Because you cannot burn calories specifically from one body part. Does that make sense? You can work out isolated body parts to make them stronger but for instance, just doing 50 situps every day is not what will give you six pack abs. That comes from dialing into your diet and working hard on your entire body. The programs I suggested are great at doing that! Along with heavy weightlifting that others have suggested as well (weight lifting programs I've done at home are P90X3 and Focus T25's Gamma phase). You can also do some research on weight lifting by picking up a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women, or other weight lifting and training books. They talk about the importance of lifting heavy - lift as heavy as you can possibly stand! - and tell you how to do it, too.
  • lamerson93 wrote: »
    Also, I'd like to know of some good workout videos that I could buy that are challenging, and actually work. Most are bogus, and you never see any results.

Lyndsie

I don't think most workout videos are bogus. All the ones I've come across work just fine. Whatever you get, you've got to stick with. You can't do a workout video for a week and expect results. You can half *kitten* a video or you can give it your all. It doesn't matter what video you get, what matters is how much effort you put into it. As long as you're getting at least 30 minutes of exercise a day and eating right, you should see results.

My personal favorite was 30 day Shread.

Sher,

Thanks for your reply! The videos that I've done in the past did not work, and I certainly gave it my all. I just feel that they did not work me as hard as I needed. So that's why I am in search of a more challenging video, rather than what I've tried beforehand. As for eating, I've been eating right, just running out of options on what to eat - that's why I had asked for suggestions so that I give myself a broader selection. I'll look into that video! Thanks!
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member

Very cool, I dig it!!
  • +1 for Nerd Fitness. Bodyweight exercises and lifting heavy stuff is the way to go. They also have a few good recipes on there as well.

Pro tip: get really good at stir-frying. You can throw any lean protein and 3 or 4 kinds of vegetables into a skillet or wok with a tablespoon of coconut oil and 15 minutes later you've got dinner. Get fancy and throw some brown rice and bean sprouts in there and hit it with sriracha sauce or red chili flakes. Easy, healthy, low-calorie and delicious.
  • Steph38878 wrote: »
    Eating well has some great menu ideas.

Breakfast. I enjoy egg white omelets with a variety of vegetables. Oatmeal. Toast. Yogurt.

Snacks. I normally have one with protein such as cheese or yogurt. The other is a fruit.

Lunch. Soups. frozen meals; tuna; wraps made with turkey, chicken, etc. I grilled a large pack of boneless chicken breast. I had it on a chef salad last night. I then sliced it for a pita pocket today.

For dinner, I try to eat a balanced plate with protein such as fish, chicken, lean red meats, pork or turkey with a good carb and a vegetable. One of my favorites is eggplant parmesan with whole wheat pasta. You can add meat to it also.

Blackened catfish is the bomb.

I try taking what I enjoy eating and make it lighter.

Also, check out the what's for supper, what does your meals look like and what's for breakfast forum threads. It can give you ideas.

You're awesome!! I definitely need a broader menu, so these are some great additions that I'll be making! The eggplant parmesan sounds amazing. All of it does. Lol. What's your exact recipe for the eggplant parmesan? Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)