How to meet calories when macros are full

Options
Hi everyone,

Im trying to bulk up right now, and then cut during spring, all before summer comes around, and so I'm eating about 3000cals per day. i keep track with MFP and log everything i eat religiously. sometimes though, I will have reached most of my macros but will have a lot of calories left over. so if i eat anything, i'll overshoot the macros trying to get to the calories....what do you generally do in such cases??
for instance, see today's example below: you'll see only fat & sugar are left over but i dont want to go chug EVOO with honey lol...

u6SJOgq.png

thanks in advance for your inputs!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Any one of these get you to your goal:
    ~Three tablespoons of olive oil
    ~Four tablespoons of peanut butter
    ~One and a half cups of rice.
    ~Two pieces of toast with 1/2 tablespoon of butter each.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    hmm thanks, peanut butter makes sense...calorie dense and relatively high in fat; im always falling behind in that (not that its a bad thing)...maybe I'll have sandwiches with a dollop of peanut butter on one toast and a big gop of nutella on the other YUM
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are doing great and on the right track. B)
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    6lnn847wrpek.jpg

Hopefully this is you in the coming year ;)
  • bulk_n_cut
    Options
    HAH. maybe someone will tell me to stop cultivating and start harvesting
  • tallicedlatte
    tallicedlatte Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't understand, how would rice or toast be helpful if he only has 2 carbs left? I have often wondered what to do in his situation, with calories left but no more macros to fit them in, short of eating something else.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about macros too much. I try to get close enough on protein (will fall short today, but my goal is too high anyway, I wish we could set straight numbers instead of %), and that's about it.

I'd have some nut butter or cheese... oh who am I kidding, I'd have some ice cream.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Cupcake!!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's a game. Click in the middle of the caloric ratio pyramid and find out what foods fit. That's how I found Edamame seed pods (about equal protein, fat, and carbohydrate).

http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/caloric-ratio-search
  • bulk_n_cut
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    oh who am I kidding, I'd have some ice cream.

oh good idea!! why didnt i think of that, better than chips which i ended up eating :\

jgnatca wrote: »
    nice find!! thanks for that, im going to make use of it =)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't personally be that anal about hitting my macros bang on...they're good to be aware of, but people get ridiculous with this stuff.
  • bulk_n_cut
    Options
    there's a huge amount of middle ground between being aware of them and being ridiculously bang on with em lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    there's a huge amount of middle ground between being aware of them and being ridiculously bang on with em lol

you're pretty close on everything and over protein...so what are you so worried about?

I'm also going to suggest that some of your entries are obviously using some bad data...you can't go over all of your macros and be under your calories.

Personally, I'd just eat some ice cream...400ish calories is pretty easy to come by and that would boost your fat and put you over carbs, but like I said...who the *kitten* cares?
  • bulk_n_cut
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    put you over carbs, but like I said...who the *kitten* cares?

true, right now even i don't "mind", but i certainly would care about going over carbs in a few weeks when its cutting time lol, can't keep that mentality up at that time so i might as well get used to it starting early now.

and i guess you're right about entries with bad data. don't see how else there can be such a discrepancy. thanks
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't a macro -- you don't even need to track that.
  • bulk_n_cut
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

it just showed up there by default lol, i dont track it. but I do keep an eye on it occasionally since diabetes runs rampant in my family
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want without worryig about macros (CPF).... so eat whatever you crave that gets you to 300+ cals?
  • ana3067
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

it just showed up there by default lol, i dont track it. but I do keep an eye on it occasionally since diabetes runs rampant in my family

You should probably be watching total carbs then if diabetes is a concern, because that's what (type 2) diabetics monitor. Not sugar itself.
  • ana3067
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

you're pretty close on everything and over protein...so what are you so worried about?

I'm also going to suggest that some of your entries are obviously using some bad data...you can't go over all of your macros and be under your calories.

Personally, I'd just eat some ice cream...400ish calories is pretty easy to come by and that would boost your fat and put you over carbs, but like I said...who the *kitten* cares?
    Yeah you can, it's due to poor rounding on the website's front. I didn't have this issue when using caloriecount, where they do not round up/down macros.

• bulk_n_cut
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    You should probably be watching total carbs then if diabetes is a concern, because that's what (type 2) diabetics monitor. Not sugar itself.
    true, but as a healthy 24 year old who lifts a lot and is trying to gain more muscle mass, i kind of have to eat a lot of good complex carbs, which i do