oatmeal recipes

Options
brian90
brian90 Posts: 285 Member
hey guys,

I am working on mixing up some oatmeal recipes. I have heard people use egg whites to mix with oatmeal instead of protein powder. i have tried protein powder but can not seem to get the taste of the protein out of it. Does anyone have any suggestions or favorite oatmeal recipes? i definitely need to add eggwhites or protein because the oatmeal alone is not enough. Im looking to make a fairly high calorie meal as well.

Replies

• ep_euphoria
    ep_euphoria Posts: 40
    Options
    I use a 'nutrition supplement' with mine - Vanilla flavoured Sustagen.

I don't know if that's available to you and it's probably not high enough in protein, but if you mix your oats with a vanilla flavoured powder + some milk + some cinnamon + some frozen fruit. Super yummy and filling :)
  • brian90
    Options
    Im not even sure what sustagen is. lol I have tried mixing oats with vanilla powder and i still end up tasting the powder more than the oats. Maybe i need to add more oats. Frozen fruit may help though.
  • llovegrove
    llovegrove Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with protein...I love oatmeal adn looking for a change also! : ) I was really interested in the whole egg white in your oatmeal though.
  • sbcohn22
    sbcohn22 Posts: 7
    Options
    Savory oatmeal is great. Make it with a pinch of salt and no sugar, top it with an egg or two (fried, poached, hardboiled), add salsa, spinach, tomatoes, avocado for a huevos rancheros type meal. Cheese if you want to up the calories, black beans for more protein. Sometimes I mix in a tbsp of peanut butter and a bit of jam. I usually think of things I would put on toast or a sandwich and eat them with oatmeal instead. Weird to some, but good, and makes a welcome AM change.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I've begun adding peanut butter (and a touch of sugar) to my oatmeal in the mornings to get some protein in. I stay full much longer, and really like the taste.....sometimes think it's a little like an oatmeal peanut butter cookie. :smile:
    Kaye
  • mskrs75
    mskrs75 Posts: 2
    Options
    Here's some suggestions for you :)
    Quinoa: Whole protein combines great with oatmeal but is good on its own.
    Flax seeds: protein, omega 3, healthy fats, fiber, vitamins, etc
    Hazelnuts: higher calories, protein, healthy fats, fiber, etc.
    I could go on but I've got to go, have a wonderful Monday.
  • ttaylor1998
    ttaylor1998 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal almost every day. ;) Most days I just mix in 1/2 tsp coconut oil and 1/2 tbsp brown sugar. You could always do a full tbsp of coconut oil though for the added calories. When I wait to long to eat breakfast or plan a light lunch, I love mixing in fresh roasted nuts- almonds and pecans are my favorite. Another tasty option is dicing up an apple or other fruit to add in.
  • brian90
    Options
    i love oatmeal and it is great. i am working on bulking up so i need high amount of calories. I ahve not tried coconut oil though. I will have to look into that. thanks.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Well, if you want protein and calories you can't go wrong with peanut butter (or other nut butters).
    2 Tb nut butter + oats + soymilk (it's sweeter than regular milk and absorbs better)
    cook the above for about 2 minutes
    Add vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg
    Add sugar-free dried fruit (goji berries are a great option, if you can find them) as well as fresh fruit (diced apple, blueberries, whatever)

If you make them stovetop oats, you can puree some spinach and toss it in for added nutrients. You won't even notice it in flavor (although the oats will turn green... which looks pretty appetizing to me, actually).
  • brian90
    Options
    Thanks!
  • funkyfr3sh
    funkyfr3sh Posts: 10
    Options
    I know you asked about oatmeal but have you tried substituting quinoa? You can make it either sweet or savory. It’s also high in protein!
  • brian90
    Options
    I have heard about quinoa but never tired. Have you used it? if so, what type of things do u mix it with?
  • funkyfr3sh
    funkyfr3sh Posts: 10
    Options
    What we do for savory quinoa - follow the directions on the package and sub chicken or vegetable stock. Add in chopped up (or frozen) veggies towards the end of cooking and some chickpeas from a can.

For sweet quinoa, follow the directions on the package for liquids and you can sub milk or use half water / half milk. Add cinnamon, apples, berries and nuts (pecans, walnuts)
  • dstikeleather
    Options
    BUMP!! Thanks!
  • brian90
    Options
    thanks!
  • jodi_bannister
    jodi_bannister Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I really like oatmeal with peaches and ground almonds mixed in. Yummy :)