Ketogenics

Just starting a ketogenics lifestyle change and wondering if anyone else is involved with eating this way and what resources you are using for it.

Replies

• I'll start by saying that I don't think the ketogenic diet is a good permanent addition to weight loss (however is a great solution for certain medical issues). But my advice would be to use MFP to keep track of all carbohydrates other than dietary fiber. I keep my total carbs near our below 25 grams per day, and have been losing on average 3/4 of as pound per day despite eating a sustainable amount of calories.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    You need a profile picture to be taken seriously here.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    mrguinnss wrote: »
    Just starting a ketogenics lifestyle change and wondering if anyone else is involved with eating this way and what resources you are using for it.

Mrguiness I seriously moved to a Ketogenic eating lifestyle Oct 2014. In my case I just basically cut out all carbs (<50 grams daily). That is the only basic step but it is not all that simple.

Since this eating lifestyle is not for losing weight in my case still I have lost 20 more pounds after losing the first 20 pounds the old way where I went around hungry all of the time.

My reason to go Keto was to manage my arthritis pain without drugs and it is working with my 7-8 pain level dropping to 2-3 on a 1-10 scale.

After cutting sugar/processed food most of the carbs were out of my diet and I replaced those calories with calories from good Fat with coconut oil being my go to Fat.

It was hellish the first two weeks due to my major addiction to carbs when I went off of them Cold Turkey.

Best of luck and Keto can mean ten different things to ten different people. In time we take what we want/need from our new eat lifestyles. In about six months the old way of eating will seem strange as in why did I eat that way. :)

Losing weight without hunger seems like a miracle in my mind.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    I eat keto and it's working very well for me!

I eat about 1500 calories a day, and have lost over 40 pounds since mid October (with a week long break over Christmas where I ate whatever I felt like, which was basically ALL the fudge). I exercise maybe once a week. I'm pretty much never hungry, have more energy, and my skin looks amazing.

I browse the keto subreddits on reddit.com pretty often, and my library has loads of low carb and paleo cook books that I can get recipes from.

Good luck!