foods that boost your mood?

Options
Are there any foods that can help elevate mood? I'm having a really challenging time right now and I'm trying to do everything I can to get my mood in the right direction. I'm exercising daily, eating the suggested cals, but I wondered if there might be specific foods that could help me?

I eat 99% whole foods; have 1.5 cups of coffee, and no alcohol most days. I am allergic to legumes (beans, nuts, soy) so can't eat most of that stuff, or have to eat in extremely limited quantities.

thanks in advance for your suggestions. I can't change my circumstances, but I am completely in control of how I feel about them. Trying to elevate my mood.

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Caffeine
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    really? I'm not looking for more energy, just not feeling low/sad. caffeine helps?
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    For me it's cutting out foods that helps my mood. Foods with added sugar and gluten make me viciously depressed and irritable. Your results may vary.

I'm on a low carb plan right now, but I have to say, I spent some months as a vegan last year, and I was really happy and energetic most days. So maybe add berries, bananas, lots of greens, nuts, seeds, and sweet potato and see if any of those work for you, because either one of those foods or a combination sure did for me. Unfortunately for everyone around me, stinky garlic and onions for some reason seems to make me happy, too. Again, your happy foods may be totally different from mine.
  • barney1585
    Options
    Vitamin D
    There are several studies that show vitamin D reduce "depression".
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate always make me happy

but the best way to perk my mood up is when I workout...oh boy..the endorphins that are released after a good hard workout are the best :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Ice cream. Works every time.

But seriously, I find that orange veggies tend to make me feel pretty good. I'm sure it's the beta carotene or some other common vitamin. Butternut squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, etc.
  • littlebrownbat3
    littlebrownbat3 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Walnuts, oatmeal, olive oil, blueberries, green tea, salmon, and dark chocolate have been shown to help alleviate mild depression. I looked into everything I could before taking antidepressents. I still needed them, but honestly, I think my low dose is maintained because I watch my diet, exercise, and see a counselor
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you aren't cutting your intake too low, since that can mess with your mood. And for me, making sure I have some fat with each meal always seems to help. I have no science behind that, so it might just be a personal thing.
  • Ellaskat
    Options
    thanks guys - I'm taking vitamin D ( it's a must in the winter in the northeat)I eat carrots and sweet potatoes at least 2-3 times a week, - working out does help absolutely! - i can't eat bananas (allergy) and like i said, nuts are rough because of allergies too..'the last several days my diet has been different than normal - schedule has been different too - so maybe i just need to get back on track, even though my cals are fine, I guess maybe my nutrients are off.

• Ellaskat
    Options
    thanks littlebrown. I eat oatmeal pretty much daily, with rare exception. I put cranberries in my oatmeal, but maybe I'll try switching to blueberries and see if that helps. I use olive oil daily (I cook from scratch 99% of our meals), I don't eat a lot of fish - poor quality at our supermarket - ick - so I only eat when I trade with a friend - Green tea could def be upped in my diet; i never eat dark chocolate. Who can be upset about trying to eat more chocolate?
  • Ellaskat
    Options
    PS guys - thank you all - keep the ideas coming!!! I'm in a very stressful circumstance, and I feel it weighing my mood down. Dancing to the song 'Happy' while I make dinner always helps, but I think my coworkers would think I'm crazy if I busted that out while at work ;0
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ellaskat wrote: »
    thanks guys - I'm taking vitamin D ( it's a must in the winter in the northeat)I eat carrots and sweet potatoes at least 2-3 times a week, - working out does help absolutely! - i can't eat bananas (allergy) and like i said, nuts are rough because of allergies too..'the last several days my diet has been different than normal - schedule has been different too - so maybe i just need to get back on track, even though my cals are fine, I guess maybe my nutrients are off.

Sorry I missed the part about nuts. What about berries and lots of spinach and/or other greens?

Oh, and red hot chili peppers if they don't bother you. Yum! Tomatoes for lycopene, maybe?
  • amandazona
    amandazona Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm taking vitamin D ( it's a must in the winter in the northeat)
    Haha, I take vitamin D and I'm in the sunny southwest! My Dr. checked my vitamin D levels with bloodwork last year and despite living in AZ I still was below the 40.-50.0 ng/mL recommended range. She says most people probably don't get enough. I have noticed a pretty marked improvement in my mood since taking it daily (2000 IU of D3). Also, I made a goal to drink 8 or more pint glasses of water per day - I read somewhere that dehydration can contribute to low moods. For me, both of these things have really helped. Also, getting plenty of sleep seems to help me, too. I hope you are able to get through your stressful time - stay strong, you can do it!
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Salmon, apples, oatmeal, and bananas usually boost my mood.
  • kylegrace1965
    kylegrace1965 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fresh raspberries
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    As someone dealing with depression, I find that the healthier, and fresher I eat, the better I feel. I am also finding the more gluten and sugar I have in my diet, the worse I feel. I am keeping my sugars limited to fresh fruit, and feeling great. I am working on cutting out diet soda, which is hard, but trying to replace my caffeine with natural sources like coffee and green tea. It also seems to help :)
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Whole carbohydrates (fruits, rice, etc) are excellent for boosting mood. Carbohydrates naturally boost serotonin and dopamine production. I avoid carbs without fiber (processed) because of their lack of nutrition.
  • Ellaskat
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    Ellaskat wrote: »

Sorry I missed the part about nuts. What about berries and lots of spinach and/or other greens?

Oh, and red hot chili peppers if they don't bother you. Yum! Tomatoes for lycopene, maybe?

You know I probably don't haven't eaten as many spinach/greens as I could lately. I've been eating mainly peppers, onions, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes... though I do have broccolini and cauliflower on the menu this week. I eat tons of tomatoes - I grow and can my own - I like spicy food, but usually do more cayenne, red pepper flakes - I'm not comfortable cooking with hot peppers - scared I'll rub my eyes and burn myself!!! Berries, I don't eat so much - I''m not allergic, but have become intolerant to a lot of different raw fruits, so i have to be careful. that's why the dried cranberries are good for me- they're not 'fresh' so i don't get stomach pain from them. i was a total fruitaholic at one point, and kind of od'd apparently. now i'm super sensitive to them.

i've been trying to eat 1 clementine in the afternoon as a snack; it seems ok, and does give me a little boost sometimes:)

• Ellaskat
    Options
    fedup30 wrote: »
    As someone dealing with depression, I find that the healthier, and fresher I eat, the better I feel. I am also finding the more gluten and sugar I have in my diet, the worse I feel. I am keeping my sugars limited to fresh fruit, and feeling great. I am working on cutting out diet soda, which is hard, but trying to replace my caffeine with natural sources like coffee and green tea. It also seems to help :)

all really good points - i'm not gluten intolerant, but have learned i don't feel great when eating it, so it's a very small part of my diet; processed sugar, also not really a part of my diet. I have a 'dessert' maybe twice a month tops. I don't drink soda or other sugary beverages. I don't drink sugar-free stuff either - those chemicals give me migraines. ick!
  • kali_athena
    kali_athena Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You know, if I need to improve my mood, it is more about the process of self care or going to the farmers market, cooking, eating quietly or with people I care about, and trying something creative and fun that make the difference.... I will feel just as good after shopping for and making a fancy ahi tuna noodle salad just for me to eat in my pjs as I will about getting coffee and a scone out with a friend that I miss.