8 cups a day?

Options

Replies

• Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am one of those oddball people. My urine is completely clear after about 5-6 cups of water.
  • musica814
    musica814 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Personally, I drink a TON of water. Especially after cutting out soda and most other beverages. It's not uncommon for me to drink 10-12 glasses a day, especially now since I'm exercising most days.

TIP: If you're struggling with getting enough water, try buying a Brita filtered pitcher. Seriously, I wasn't drinking enough water before I got the pitcher, and now it makes drinking water so much easier. The water tastes pure and crisp, and it's always cold!! Definitely more enticing than warm tap water in my opinion.
  • Losingitin2011
    Options
    It's strange. I had a Brita pitcher, and when I'd drink the water from it my tonsils and adenoids would start hurting, like when you're getting sick. I stopped and that stopped.
  • musica814
    Options
    It's strange. I had a Brita pitcher, and when I'd drink the water from it my tonsils and adenoids would start hurting, like when you're getting sick. I stopped and that stopped.

Wow that is strange!! I know with my pitcher I'll sometimes get those little pieces of carbon in the water, but I don't know if that is bad for you or not.
  • Losingitin2011
    Options
    We just thought it might have been something in the pitcher that I was sensitive to, now we just buy the bottled water for drinking and recycle the bottles. Not the most "earth friendly" but I'll take that over the strange reaction or not drinking water any day. Our tap water is disgusting due to old pipes.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Thanks Torrego, that was an interesting read.

I think that if anyone is wondering about being dehydrated that looking at the colour of your urine (just a quick glance after you go!) is a good guide - if it is dark yellow you are possibly dehydrated, very light or clear you aren't dyhydrated. Anywhere inbetween is probably going to be OK, but be guided by how you feel (or by medical advice if you think something isn't right).
  • musica814
    Options
    Thanks Torrego, that was an interesting read.

I think that if anyone is wondering about being dehydrated that looking at the colour of your urine (just a quick glance after you go!) is a good guide - if it is dark yellow you are possibly dehydrated, very light or clear you aren't dyhydrated. Anywhere inbetween is probably going to be OK, but be guided by how you feel (or by medical advice if you think something isn't right).

I've heard that before but my urine is often very yellow and I drink like 10 glasses of water a day! So i'm a little confused on that one...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Well maybe the urine colour doesn't work for everyone - I should have added that some multivitamins can turn it fluorescent yellow!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Food is the gasoline
    Water is the oil

I love that!

Water is good! mmmm
  • waterbabeAD
    waterbabeAD Posts: 73
    Options
    Actually, water consumption is more important than food consumption ... The human body will die of deydration before hunger.

Depending on the air temepratures, without any water, death through dehydration will occur after 2 and up to 10 days, whereas if you just had water and no food, the body will last considerably longer - sometimes weeks - depending on your body fat.
  • LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Actually 8 cups is the minimum! You should really drink half of your body weight (in oz of water). It really makes a difference!! Good luck in your journey!

God I can hardly mange my 8 cups half my body weight now thats going to be a real challange!!
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    what is 8 cups? I try and drink 2 litres of water a day mostly it's roughly 1.5 litres though. I'm in the UK.
  • irdietinfo
    irdietinfo Posts: 29
    Options
    A cup is 250ml so 8 cups is 2 litres.

I found that article very interesting! I'm going to count my cups of coffee and green tea from now on. I like water but always have trouble with the increased number of "bathroom breaks" required when I drink that much!
  • polkataniec
    polkataniec Posts: 102
    Options
    So true! I like it!
  • polkataniec
    Options
    Why drink 8 cups of water a day? Isn't food already mostly water?

I hope that everyone will please check for legitimate CURRENT scientific research before perpetuating the myth that every adult needs to drink the 8 glasses of water a day. This information has not been borne out by recent studies, and in fact, if you are not thirsty, are eating and drinking normally and your urine is clear, your hydration is adequate. The bottled water industry has been busily at work convincing Americans to run around clutching water bottles, when in fact, there is no reason to be "forcing" water intake. Elderly people are a different story, but not healthy adults.
  • polkataniec
    Options
    Very smart! I belive that too.We have to use common sens! One thing is what I go by,I will pick water over any soda even diet!:)
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    My point in posting one of the NUMEROUS scientific studies about the myths of water drinking is NOT to say that drinking water is bad. Drinking water is GOOD. It's just that many of these so-called "truths" get repeated so often that people start to believe that they are fact, just because they have been repeated so often. The internet has compounded the problem as one blogger copies information from another blogger and passes it on as gospel.

It is true that our bodies need water, it is true that humans would die of thirst from lack of water far sooner than from lack of food. What is not true, however, is that there is some specific requirement that we all drink 8 8 ounce glasses of water per day.
    Each of us is an individual. If drinking water makes you feel less hungry, by all means, drink it. If you feel thirsty after your workout or you live in a particularly dry climate, chug-a-lug with abandon..........but..........those of you who are choking down water just because you think there's some magical number of ounces or liters that you have to reach might want to look at the findings from legitimate scientific sources, such as the NIH.

There are anecdotes, there are experiences, there are personal beliefs, and there is science.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    There are anecdotes, there are experiences, there are personal beliefs, and there is science.
    I couldn't agree more. I tend to be skeptical of unsupported claims, because the internet is prone to spreading crazy stories. You'll see multiple sources claiming that X is bad for you, but when you look, it turns out they are all quoting the same badly controlled study, or have no scientific basis whatsoever. The ability to think critically and evaluate claims is something we should go back to teaching in school.
  • michalita
    michalita Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm no scientist or nutrition expert, but once I upped my water intake to 8-12 cups of water a day, I found that exercising was easier, digestion was smoother (ahem), and my skin immediately improved. I've also been losing weight easily and steadily. So, regardless of whether I "need" that much water, I'm going to continue because the effects have been nothing but positive! The average person has such a small risk of ingesting "too much" water that there's really no reason to try to limit one's intake unless expressly directed to by a physician.
  • howellco
    howellco Posts: 22
    Options
    Water is a great way for you to clean the body as well as lose weight. Drinking 8 cups is a minimum, I always try to drink half my weight!