Gym Routine Recommendations?

Options
mariabee
mariabee Posts: 212 Member
I am in a little bit of a summer slump right now and wanted to ask for some new ideas for gym-specific routines.

I like to vary my workouts during the week and they include weight training, HIIT's, bootcamp, step classes and tennis, but on days that I only have time for a quick one-hour lunch time workout, I get so bored so easily.

My GYM routine usually consists of:

- 30 minute run on the treadmill (not a big fan of the elliptical)
- varying weights depending on if I'm working upper body or lower body
- lunges, squats, etc...

I get so bored at the gym and when I do go, I see the same people, doing the same boring routine with zero energy... but sometimes I need to go to the gym.

Any suggestions or perhaps any recommendations of websites where I can print some workouts?

Thank you!

Can any

Replies

• justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    bumping because I need some help, too!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    When I joined my gym I did a six month stint with a personal trainer in strength training. When it was over, I couldn't make myself do the workout. So I started going to classes. One thing led to another and I found that I was doing 10 classes a week. I have a lot of variety, from cardio to strength training and there are people around. I have made friends, added weight to the body pump bar, just enjoyed myself immensely. I have not missed the weight training. I like being social when I work out and I am also competitive.
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Run outside instead of on the treadmill. Frankly I find treadmills absolute snooze fests, but 30 minutes on the road isn't so bad
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    When I first started going to the gym I felt a bit lost like I was wandering with no purpose. LOL!! I discovered Jefit. They have a website and also an app on your phone. You can download hundreds of premade workouts geared toward what your goals are. I loved this app. Helped alot. Good luck to you!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for a weight lifting routine or cardio, or both?

I just started this. http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

I've also done this. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

And I bought the book, New Rules of Lifting for Women, and did that, also. These pre-filled spreadsheets to make it less confusing. http://maggiewang.com/2008/05/20/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-diet-calculator-and-workout-logs

Cardio is sometimes intervals on the arc trainer or outside, or whatever I feel like doing (Zumba, walking, dancing, kickboxing...).
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Try some pilates videos! Pilates made me flexible and strong, and helped me get more comfortable with the way my body does things.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I try to do a variety of classes mixed with my weights. I pretty much never use the cardio machines. I will do kickboxing, cross training (TRX, kettlebells, medicine ball in one class), boot camp, spin, yoga in addition to my 3x weekly 5x5 plan.
  • mariabee
    Options
    Are you looking for a weight lifting routine or cardio, or both?

I just started this. http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

I've also done this. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

And I bought the book, New Rules of Lifting for Women, and did that, also. These pre-filled spreadsheets to make it less confusing. http://maggiewang.com/2008/05/20/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-diet-calculator-and-workout-logs

Cardio is sometimes intervals on the arc trainer or outside, or whatever I feel like doing (Zumba, walking, dancing, kickboxing...).

I already have several other workouts I do outdoors, in a class setting, etc...plus workout videos, so basically I'm just looking for gym-specific workouts (cardio and weights combined) for those days where I'm short on time, can't get outside or to a class. But all of these suggestions have been fantastic so far!

Thanks everyone.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I'm browsing the forum for ideas myself, but I'll share what I started with that works for me.

Lots of cardio first thing, 20-60 min.

Then after that rotate and do arms one day and legs the next. Do all the machines you can find for each group.

I use the machines, but you don't have too.

The machines seem less likely to hurt yourself and have a handy sticker that shows you how to use it, so I like that.

At the end, do abs every day, with all the ab machines you can find.

I learned that at the first gym I joined over 10 years ago, and if I actually go to the gym and use it, the results are fantastic.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? What is your current program related to other stuff (generalities don’t really help here as we’re trying to design something that complements what you do enjoy)?
  • mariabee
    Options
    What are your goals? What is your current program related to other stuff (generalities don’t really help here as we’re trying to design something that complements what you do enjoy)?

Thank you!

Ultimately my goal is to improve my tennis (agility, speed and strength) and increase muscle plus stay in my best physical condition. Dropping about 10 pounds is secondary, but would be nice, and ultimately will help me get faster and more agile playing tennis.

My current program varies (dependent on weather, if its clear out, I will swap all workouts for tennis), but usually consists of:

Day 1: Circuit / HIIT (gym setting)
    Day 2: Circuit Training (class setting or on my own)
    Day 3: 60 minute cardio
    Day 4: Predominantly weight training, 45-60 minute (leans toward circuit training)
    Day 5: Rest/walk
    Day 6: 90-minute cardio
    Day 7: I'm usually exhausted, but if its nice out, will get a game of tennis in.

I appreciate your responses everyone!