Breastfeeding and losing the extra weight.

Options
I am trying to get rid of the stubborn baby weight but I am also fully committed to exclusively breastfeeding my son. I know I can have the best of both worlds, but how? Limiting my calories will most likely limit my milk supply (so I have read). I know the key is eating healthy, which I have been doing. But being a mom of 2, breastfeeding and eating healthy is hard work! I find myself thinking about food a lot. Anyone in a similar boat? Motivation, support and tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Replies

• sunheechung
    sunheechung Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    hey! I'm on the SAME boat as you! just had a baby 1 month ago! being a mom to 3 boys, 6 3 and 1 month is so hard and stressful, but a great blessing! I think about food all the time, mostly bad food ! I eat as much as i want so i can still produce! my goal is to breast feed until 1(try too) eat as much but still workout, not to hard so i won't effect my milk supply! and then after I'm done, ill go hard!
  • IAmAPearl
    IAmAPearl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding too. From what I've read, your milk gets access to nutrients and stuff first, and then you. And also you burn calories making the milk. I think its about 500/day for a new baby.
    So I just add that 500 to the calories I need to lose weight. So if my calorie goal was 1500 to lose weight, I would add 500 to account for breastfeeding. So the total would actually be 2000. That's how I do it at least.
    I was told to make sure to keep a good amount of fat in my diet too, for fatty milk, which is good.

That's all I've got, good luck mama!
  • rkmeyer41
    rkmeyer41 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Ladies...breastfeeding burns calories! Ask your OB how many calories you should have and stay within those guidelines. Congratulations to you both...enjoy your new babies!