Options
13»

Replies

• lamerson93
    Options
    lamerson93 wrote: »
    Eat foods you like in moderation, don't eat foods you don't like just because some faceless entity has deemed it "healthy" (in my case, that's kale & quinoa. don't like them, won't eat them)
    Blogs I've used:
    poorgirleatswell.com
    canyoustayfordinner.com
    emilybites.com
    skinnytaste.com
    smittenkitchen.com
    pinterest is great as well

I don't do workout videos. But plenty of people have had success here with the Jillian Michaels' ones. Your results will depend how much effort you put in and how consistent you are.

Lol. I love Kale, however, not the other. I appreciate the multiple blogs! I'll check them out in a little bit. Yeah, I've had a couple of replies with suggestions on Jillian Michaels. Thank you for the motivation! :)

Here's my pinterest board if you're interested: http://www.pinterest.com/lishlash1989/

Also, you don't need to eat the 3 traditional meals & 2 snacks if you don't want to.
    Find a method of consuming the appropriate number of calories that works for you. If that is 3 meals & 2 snacks, then great, if it's eating 2 meals, 1 snack, 1 meal, etc. A lot of people have success with intermittent fasting (only eating within a certain time frame - for me it's 12-9) whereas others must eat at 7am.

And non-traditional foods can be eaten for breakfast as well. I've eaten sushi for breakfast (as I was transitioning to my eating window).

Chili topped with cheese & a fried egg is a great dinner.
    BBQ chicken rolls with broccoli.
    The one way I will eat kale is sauteed in olive oil & garlic and topped with runny fried eggs.

Oh man, homemade turkey burger (or beef, doesn't matter) on an Arnold sandwich thin with about a third of an avocado mashed and a fried egg, soooooo good.

(yes, I really like fried eggs)

As I was reading your post, I was thinking "She REALLY loves eggs!" Lol. That's hilarious, almost everything included eggs. I actually just had a runny egg yesterday, for my first time! Crazy, I know. Hahah. It was delicious! I had it for lunch, over some white rice with parsley, a pinch of garlic salt, and a little bit of shredded cheese as a topper. I try to steer away from butter as I can get a tad carried away... Lol. So instead of putting butter, I added 2 tsp of soy sauce. It was surprisingly good! I try to mix up my foods, and try new things so that I don't lose my mind eating the same things again and again. I really appreciate your post! I'm going to try some of the things that you listed. I'll have to send you pictures! :) What's your recipe for the BBQ Chicken Rolls with broccoli? That sounds so good! Same with the turkey burger - what do you season your turkey burgers with? I've not found anything to season them with that tastes really good.

Thanks again!!! :)

The BBQ Chicken Rolls are on canyoustayfordinner.com
    http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2011/01/31/buffalo-chicken-rolls/
    ^I realize that's a link for buffalo chicken rolls but her BBQ ones references back to it.
    Sub BBQ sauce for Franks - I use the higher amount of BBQ sauce especially if I'm freezing them. Sub cheddar for the bleu cheese.

I steam some broccoli to eat on the side.

As for turkey burgers, I typically chop up some spinach (or arugula, parsley, spring mix, basil, etc - something green and leafy, your BFF kale might work here ;) ), mince a bunch of garlic, add about 1/4c of balsamic vinegar, mix and form patties.

I've also made chicken burgers with soy sauce, sesame seed oil, fresh ginger, and fresh garlic.

I just made some southwest turkey meatloaf (I eat more ground turkey than ground beef due to costs) - it's from paleomg.com I think. bell peppers, spices, ground meat, bbq sauce (she called for some type of hot sauce), onion, garlic

(I also really really like garlic - it's a food group)

Mmm, that sounds so amazing! I have almost everything to be able to make that too. Might do the BBQ chicken rolls tonight instead.

As for the turkey burgers, I absolutely LOVE spinach. I could eat that all day looong! I've never thought to toss spinach into a burger! Love to cook with spring mix, basil, parsley. HAHAH, my BFF Kale probably would go quite well with this recipe!! ;) This seriously sounds like an amazing recipe. I'll have to try it for tomorrow dinner! Before long, you'll be
    Auto_K wrote: »
    +1 for Nerd Fitness. Bodyweight exercises and lifting heavy stuff is the way to go. They also have a few good recipes on there as well.

Pro tip: get really good at stir-frying. You can throw any lean protein and 3 or 4 kinds of vegetables into a skillet or wok with a tablespoon of coconut oil and 15 minutes later you've got dinner. Get fancy and throw some brown rice and bean sprouts in there and hit it with sriracha sauce or red chili flakes. Easy, healthy, low-calorie and delicious.

You're one of the reasons why I posted this. Lol. Classic example of a great idea! I didn't even think to use bean sprouts, or chili flakes. I've never heard of sriracha sauce. Spicy? Sweet? I've also never cooked with coconut oil. I don't like coconut, but you probably can't taste much of the coconut once you've got your blend of veggies, and meat going, right? Great suggestion - thank you very much!! :)

Sriracha is spicy.

Coconut oil is great. Solid at room temp. Don't store near your oven.
    It helps bring out the sweetness of sweet potatoes if you're roasting them like fries - I got it from a trainer a few years ago. I've used it to fry store bought hashbrowns as well. I hate coconut but you don't taste it.

Oh okay! I am not a fan of spicy, so I probably won't use that, unless it's just very little. As for the coconut oil, I'll have to find a good recipe to try that with since you can't taste it. So it's better than olive oil?

I wouldn't call it better than olive oil.
    They're equal.
    Different oils have different uses due to temperature ranges the oils can withstand.

cooking-oil-comparison-chart_02-22-12-page-001.jpg?w=620&h=478

Frankly I don't like the "unhealthy" label on this chart since if you consume a cup of olive oil, that's unhealthy as well. Everything has it's perks.

Smoke-Pts-NoText.jpg

Oh I'm definitely steering clear of the unhealthy section. Lol. Thanks for those! I saved them to my phone. I'll have to print them out, and hang them up on my fridge. Those are both very useful & good guidance tips.

It lists butter as unhealthy.
    Butter isn't unhealthy at all. In large quantities yes but that's true of most things.
    Canola oil has it's place as well. It's perfect for frying things - like straight up frying. I made some Palestinian dish for a friend where I had to fry stuff in my cast iron, canola was my pick.
    Shortening is a main ingredient in frosting, moreso in vegan frostings.

Very true! I usually use canola in my cast iron as well. Occasionally, I use shortening. What was your Palestinian dish??

Mmm, that sounds so amazing! I have almost everything to be able to make that too. Might do the BBQ chicken rolls tonight instead.

As for the turkey burgers, I absolutely LOVE spinach. I could eat that all day looong! I've never thought to toss spinach into a burger! Love to cook with spring mix, basil, parsley. HAHAH, my BFF Kale probably would go quite well with this recipe!! This seriously sounds like an amazing recipe. I'll have to try it for tomorrow dinner! Before long, you'll be my personal recipe chef! (Sorry, my phone died & it sent my message without me finishing it).
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Haha yeah, my FL gets big old doses of recipes when I have the time to cook - which I haven't really recently.

I believe it was Palestinian, I know the salad thing I made was but the main course might not have been.
    I forget the name but I was coating chicken breasts in a mixture of flour & paprika (&maybe something else?) and frying it.
    The salad was diced cukes, diced onions, diced tomatoes, and then as he ate it, he added the vinegar based dressing. It was like 2 years ago and I only made it once... I do need to branch out my cooking. Hard when you live alone, some recipes are hard to halve lol
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    elleloch wrote: »
    +1 for Nerd Fitness. Bodyweight exercises and lifting heavy stuff is the way to go. They also have a few good recipes on there as well.

Pro tip: get really good at stir-frying. You can throw any lean protein and 3 or 4 kinds of vegetables into a skillet or wok with a tablespoon of coconut oil and 15 minutes later you've got dinner. Get fancy and throw some brown rice and bean sprouts in there and hit it with sriracha sauce or red chili flakes. Easy, healthy, low-calorie and delicious.

You're one of the reasons why I posted this. Lol. Classic example of a great idea! I didn't even think to use bean sprouts, or chili flakes. I've never heard of sriracha sauce. Spicy? Sweet? I've also never cooked with coconut oil. I don't like coconut, but you probably can't taste much of the coconut once you've got your blend of veggies, and meat going, right? Great suggestion - thank you very much!! :)

Sriracha is spicy.

It helps bring out the sweetness of sweet potatoes if you're roasting them like fries - I got it from a trainer a few years ago. I've used it to fry store bought hashbrowns as well. I hate coconut but you don't taste it.

Oh okay! I am not a fan of spicy, so I probably won't use that, unless it's just very little. As for the coconut oil, I'll have to find a good recipe to try that with since you can't taste it. So it's better than olive oil?

They're equal.
    Different oils have different uses due to temperature ranges the oils can withstand.

Frankly I don't like the "unhealthy" label on this chart since if you consume a cup of olive oil, that's unhealthy as well. Everything has it's perks.

Smoke-Pts-NoText.jpg

Oh I'm definitely steering clear of the unhealthy section. Lol. Thanks for those! I saved them to my phone. I'll have to print them out, and hang them up on my fridge. Those are both very useful & good guidance tips.

Butter isn't unhealthy at all. In large quantities yes but that's true of most things.
    Canola oil has it's place as well. It's perfect for frying things - like straight up frying. I made some Palestinian dish for a friend where I had to fry stuff in my cast iron, canola was my pick.

LONG LIVE BUTTER.

I like butter.
    Not as much as my gram! oh my! lol

My mom was going to cook our shrimp in olive oil one night because my "aversion" to butter and because olive oil is "healthier". She was happy when I said I had no problem with butter. My gram just has a tendency to drown things in butter or olive oil.

She sounds like my MIL :) Too much of a good thing can still be too much!
  • lamerson93
    Options
    elleloch wrote: »

Sriracha is spicy.

They're equal.

Smoke-Pts-NoText.jpg

LONG LIVE BUTTER.

LOL.
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    I honestly think the key is to find a good balance. I've heard people who swear off pasta but I personally love pasta. So I take it and bulk it up with lean proteins and veggies but feel satisfied.

You can't ban everything you enjoy and be miserable. Not saying that you should eat a whole cake. You may have to stay away and slowly work treats in. But life is short, find the happy medium that you look forward to enjoying your meal and your exercise regimen instead of dreading it. You will be more likely to fall into old habits.

Just my opinion.

Great tips! I am a huge pasta lover. Just as you, I load the pasta with vegetables, and lean meat. I love how positive you are!
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    My "go to" of late, because I love Indian food, has been baked chicken, cubed and stirred into a simmer sauce.

For super-moist baked chicken:
    Original recipe
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-the-best-chicken-breasts-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211453

I find that about 3 chicken breasts fit in my 8x8 pan.
    If the breasts are on the small side (6-8 oz), I check for doneness at 25 minutes.

The chicken comes out super-moist, at the (for me) negligible calorie cost of the oil.

Once the chicken is fully cooked, I cut it into small cubes (smaller than 1 inch), and stir roughly 12 oz of chicken into a (15 oz) jar of simmer sauce.

For me, that makes two servings.

I have also used 9 oz of chicken and a 15 oz can of chickpeas into a 15 oz jar of simmer sauce, for three servings.
  • lamerson93
    Options
    Haha yeah, my FL gets big old doses of recipes when I have the time to cook - which I haven't really recently.

I believe it was Palestinian, I know the salad thing I made was but the main course might not have been.
    I forget the name but I was coating chicken breasts in a mixture of flour & paprika (&maybe something else?) and frying it.
    The salad was diced cukes, diced onions, diced tomatoes, and then as he ate it, he added the vinegar based dressing. It was like 2 years ago and I only made it once... I do need to branch out my cooking. Hard when you live alone, some recipes are hard to halve lol

I could probably Google it with those basic ingredients. The salad sounds good too! I'm not a fan of tomatoes, though I do love tomato based soups, or sauce. When I lived on my own for a few years, I would always make so much food, and only have me to eat it. But thankfully, it's my boyfriend, and I now! So cooking isn't as difficult because he eats it, and then takes a bunch to work the next day, as do I!
  • lamerson93
    Options
    My "go to" of late, because I love Indian food, has been baked chicken, cubed and stirred into a simmer sauce.

For super-moist baked chicken:
    Original recipe
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-the-best-chicken-breasts-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211453

I find that about 3 chicken breasts fit in my 8x8 pan.
    If the breasts are on the small side (6-8 oz), I check for doneness at 25 minutes.

The chicken comes out super-moist, at the (for me) negligible calorie cost of the oil.

Once the chicken is fully cooked, I cut it into small cubes (smaller than 1 inch), and stir roughly 12 oz of chicken into a (15 oz) jar of simmer sauce.

For me, that makes two servings.

I have also used 9 oz of chicken and a 15 oz can of chickpeas into a 15 oz jar of simmer sauce, for three servings.

This sounds good! I'm all for a moist chicken. I took a screenshot. Thanks :)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

I could probably Google it with those basic ingredients. The salad sounds good too! I'm not a fan of tomatoes, though I do love tomato based soups, or sauce. When I lived on my own for a few years, I would always make so much food, and only have me to eat it. But thankfully, it's my boyfriend, and I now! So cooking isn't as difficult because he eats it, and then takes a bunch to work the next day, as do I!

I tried Googling it to no avail!
    I got the Hungarian dish of Chicken Paprikash - which this wasn't.
    And I could have sworn it was Chicken Succotash but it doesn't look like those pictures.
    I kept getting fried chicken. bah!

I want to try making sushi bowls since I'm too lazy (and cheap) to make my own sushi.
    I also want to stop failing at stir-fry. I can make a frigging cheesecake from scratch but I fail at stir-fry lol.

I made this sticky, honey, spicy chicken I found from a paleo food blog.
    It uses sriracha and I don't like spicy either but you can easily control the level.
    It gives it a little bit and it's so good, pretty easy too. Especially if you skip making the cauliflower "rice" (though it does taste good with it since the sauce gives the cauliflower flavor)

In regards to tomato soups - there's Skinnytaste's crockpot tomato soup, I add tortelinni to it, yum. And ratatouille from The Kitchn - soooooo good and easy. 1 pot, but like 5 prep bowls lol
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Pepper steak with brown rice. Yum! Oh gosh, I'm getting hungry.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like, in moderation, (at a deficit).
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I am in need of suggestions on what exactly to eat! This is the hardest part for me. I'm accepting of all ideas for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. Shoot your recipes my way as I do love to cook. Also, I'd like to know of some good workout videos that I could buy that are challenging, and actually work. Most are bogus, and you never see any results. Thanks all, Lyndsie

A few ideas - Some of the meals I make for myself – over a year and still never bored or hungry--
    -
    20150203_091620%20cal_zpsaehqy8zn.jpg

20150203_144550_LUNCH%20Haddock_2_zpsib2affmf.jpg

MyBreakfastRecipes1_zpsc5ce6454.jpg

73641431.png

“Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop to look around once in a while you could miss it.”
    - Ferris Bueller's Day Off

• nissanmama
    nissanmama Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Daily Burn is a new subscription series that looks like it will be a good alternative for the at home workout burnout because you can tailor it and it changes: http://dailyburn.com/m28?s1