How do I stay on track with 2 big events coming up?

Options
Hi, I am trying to lose 1.5-2 lbs per week and very careful with my calories intake & gym sessions...everything was almost PERFECT until now - I am freaking out almost about 2 big dinners next week. Any tips how to stay on track next week when I have those late dinners with 1 day apart? The dinners will be late, not at very healthy places (steaks, wine, etc.)...I want to enjoy them, but cannot come up with the plan!!! HELP! :-) Also - I won't be able to exercise in the GYM on those days during the day or in the morning (early up with kids and in the meetings the whole day!)

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Estimate the best you can. For ordering meals out, avoid creams & sauces. Aim for grilled/baked meats.

And its ok to take a day off occasionally. If you don't feel you can do these meals out AND maintain your 750-1000/day deficit - that's ok too. If you eat an extra 750 calories then you're eating at maintenance or a very slight deficit for the day. Not the end of the world.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Think about your goals for the long run. Do you want to be able to eat out? On those days, do you want to eat a bit more than usual or stick to your typical calorie goals?

You can plan to eat an early dinner at home and just enjoy the social times (and perhaps a glass of wine), you can get the menu ahead of time and plan something somewhat higher in calories than usual, or plan something that will fit your usual calories and share with someone or box up the leftovers), you can plan to save up some calories for the few days before and after eating out, you can plan just to have slower weight loss for that one week.

Think about which option fits best for what you would want to do long term.
  • AntonioP23
    AntonioP23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Plan Plan Plan Ahead....

If I know I am going out I will either slightly drop cals a few days before OR eat very little and save my calories for the meal.

You must remember, if this is a lifestyle change then you have to start to learn how to factor eating out in your diary.

Stick with leans meats, green veg's, salad and of course some red wine :)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Remember that fit and lean people sometimes eat out and have big meals too. What they don't do is then continue to eat big meals and eat a lot of extra food because they've "blown it" and are "off track."

Just eat sensibly, ignore the scale for a few days afterwards, and carry on.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I'd go online and check out the menu. Find something that is the most healthy but appetizing option. Log that meal first for the day and then work the rest of your day around that to still hit your calorie goal. I've done that all the time. It will take more planning, but you can make it work.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    AntonioP23 wrote: »
    Plan Plan Plan Ahead....

If I know I am going out I will either slightly drop cals a few days before OR eat very little and save my calories for the meal.

You must remember, if this is a lifestyle change then you have to start to learn how to factor eating out in your diary.

Stick with leans meats, green veg's, salad and of course some red wine :)

This right here. Also, if you know the places you will be eating, look at the menu and plan ahead from there.
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Cut back 100-200 calories every day this week (or exercise more without using the calories) and "bank" them for your dinners. Make your week balance out instead of just every day.

Order what you want (within reason), but only eat half, saving the rest for a few lunches during the week.

The gym isn't the only place to get in some exercise. Take a walk around while eating a portable lunch. You can do quite a few jumping jacks, push-ups and burpees in 15 minutes. Be creative.

Eat lots of low calorie foods that are full of fiber during the day (think veggies). Will fill you up and enable you to indulge a little at the restaurant.

In my experience, one or two days of overindulging are not going to set you back. Letting those one or two days become one or two weeks.....different story. Whatever happens, just make and keep the commitment to get back on track once these big dinner days are over.

• Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I will plan my meals and snacks accordingly through out the day. I have not ever had a problem finding something on the menu that is within my calories allowed for that day. For example, I will eat a salad at lunch (well I do that all of the time) but will maybe change my snacks to all veggies.

Oh and I do have the glass of wine because to me steak without red wine is like peanut butter and jelly without the bread.
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    pplastics wrote: »
    Order what you want (within reason), but only eat half, saving the rest for a few lunches during the week.

This is my eating out battle plan.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Eat and enjoy yourself. You are already set to an aggressive deficit. Just plan ahead as much as possible but also just realize that going over your calories by even 750 doesn't mean you gain weight - it just means you won't lose any weight FOR THAT DAY. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Two meals won't hinder you as long as you don't turn it into 2 weeks :D
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    It's okay to eat at maintenance for special occasions.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    When I have something big, I just cut back my calories for the week after or so. Usually I eat all my calories, or most anyway, consuming over 1400 a day on the low end. I cut back to about 1200 daily when I'm trying to make up for some heavier eating. This works really well for me. I don't know how often you weigh, but weighing only 1 time a week helps with this too...I usually still see a pretty good loss if I'm able to cut back on other days in the week but I don't like eating that low long term. A lot of people eat like this as their daily approach...saving those extra calories for the weekend.
  • ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Don't know if it is healthy, but this is what i would do if it was me and you have lots of time, so don't freak out :smiley: its only 2 days and you have the added benefit of a day in between
    1. The days leading up to the event, i'll would make sure that i was keeping strictly to my diet and exercise plan, no slacking or going over calories at all.
    2. On the day of the 1st dinner, i would drink lots of water all day and only eat low calories vegetables and fruits. (Edamame, lettuce, strawberry, spinach etc)...drink lots and lots of water
    3. For the 1st Dinner - Eat whatever you want and drink what ever you want.
    4. The next day....Drink lots and lots of water. Keep your meals to lots of low calorie veg and Fruits and lean protein (fish, chicken breast). lots and lots of water
    5. On the day of the 2nd dinner, i would drink lots of water all day and only eat low calories vegetables and fruits. (Edamame, lettuce, strawberry, spinach etc)...drink lots and lots of water
    6. For the 2nd Dinner - Eat whatever you want and drink what ever you want.
    7. The day after Drink lots and lots of water. Keep your meals to lots of low calorie veg and Fruits and lean protein (fish, chicken breast). lots and lots of water
    8. For at least the next 10 days after the dinner's make sure you keep to your diet and exercise routine

If i had to take a bet, i would say you may end up loosing more weight as the 2 dinners may act as a boost. there is some nutritional scientific explanation but i dont recall :blush:
    Goodluck
  • levazaya
    Options
    Thank you for your advice!
  • levazaya
    Options
    Wow, I am so impressed with your knowledge - from all of you!!! it definetely helps to stay connected...Thank you all for finding time to share your tips. I like the idea of checking the menu ahead, planning into my day right away and working around it. Love it. Yes, I will try it and will post next week on Friday! I know I am being VERY strict with myself in the last 4 weeks and I agree - healthy people with healthy lifestyle actually DO eat out. Thank you again...Looking forward to face my nice challenge. :-)
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten lost of good advice. My only suggestion is to be very careful with the wine. Even if you're eating plan has room for the wine calories, in my experience, drinking too much wine while out with a group seems to lead to me making less than ideal food choices.
  • jcim1ru
    jcim1ru Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    With all you have been doing I think you'll discover that if you apply the same logic to your food selections at the big events you won't sacrifice anything and have a good time.

Eating out was never removed from my lifestyle when I decided to trim down the weight. I wanted permanent change, not a series of trends so I made it essential that I learned how to manage my choices in every situation.

Use comparable choices from the restaurants in the database, think, eat slowly, choose foods you are hungry for only, enjoy them and have a glass of wine or two with it.

Worst case? You put in a few extra minutes at the gym. Just remember, if you work the little extra off when it appears on the scale, it never has a chance to take hold and become a part of you!

Good Luck!
  • mandybear014
    mandybear014 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I will plan my meals and snacks accordingly through out the day. I have not ever had a problem finding something on the menu that is within my calories allowed for that day. For example, I will eat a salad at lunch (well I do that all of the time) but will maybe change my snacks to all veggies.

+1