I've hit a plateau...

Options
Ok friends...I need some help here, PLEASE! :)

So for the past month I've been stuck at the same weight...which could be a good thing, cuz I haven't gained. But it isn't good enough for me. :( I still want to lose another 10-15lbs. The weight hasn't come off, but I am noticing changes in my clothing and I have lost inches (1inch in my waist, .5inch in my hips within this month too). I must admit that my eating habits haven't been the greatest lately, but I'm trying and I've been logging...same with the exercising. I've been exercising atleast 3 days for 30 minutes or more (i've either been walking, trying to fit some running in, and doin the 30DS).

So my question is, how do I get out of this plateau and continue to lose more weight?! Any advice is welcome!! Thanks! :)

Replies

• Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Have you tried switching up your exercise and food? Try different types of exercise from what you normally do, and switch when and what you eat?
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    calorie zig zagging has worked wonders to get my off my plateau.

Jan-April loss of 4 lbs total
    Week after Easter (started zig-zagging) Loss of 4 lbs total

check out my blog on this :-)
  • botography
    botography Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Not an expert but an expert told me that changing the exercise might help. I have hit plateaus before, got discouraged and quit. Don't quit. Your clothes fit differently. Perhaps, and I am guessing... your fat has turned to muscle which weighs. Your change in size might be the clue to the fact THE DIET IS WORKING. I have to drop 20 pounds more. I have lost 7. Long way to go. I have a bucket full of thinner jeans THAT I WILL GET INTO BY FALL.
  • Jenhal71
    Jenhal71 Posts: 10
    Options
    You should definitely try to switch up your workout. Your body is getting used to what you've been doing...try some kickboxing or lifing some weights.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Alot of women hit a plat at 150 and under for some reason. I see it so often. All I can say is make sure you follow the basic plateau breaking rules. up your cardio, mix up workouts, do muscles, drink tons of water, zig zag your daily cals, eat less carbs and watch fat and sugar intake. the body is built to adjust. you gotta break it out of the adjustment. maybe try new things, dance, zumba, kickboxing, ride, marathons, rollarblading. mix it up
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but I don't think it's considered a plateau if you are still losing inches. The last 10 pounds or so are so hard to take off, but hang in there, you are so close!! As others have said, changing up your food and exercise should help the pounds come off eventually, but don't be too hard on yourself now since you are continuing to lose inches :).
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    When I've hit plateaus I've had to increase my calories. I started by 100 per day until I found the right combo to lose the weight.
  • ChrisPC
    ChrisPC Posts: 10
    Options
    Just stick with it, DO NOT give up. You said your clothing is fitting better, so you are doing something right !!!! Are you drinking enough water? This is something I see when I hot my plateau that I start to forget to drink my water.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I dont see how it is a plateau if you are losing inches....
  • howellco
    howellco Posts: 22
    Options
    When I've hit plateaus I've had to increase my calories. I started by 100 per day until I found the right combo to lose the weight.

This worked for me as well, I lost 4 pounts in one week after being a a plateau for 4 weeks! I increaed my calories by about 150, and found that it worked well for my body, was eating or trying to eat right about 1200. I also added 2 cardio session on the elliptical as I was only running on the treadmill. My next addition to my workout is going to be strength training as I don't do that now or at least often enough and am in need of another change up!

Keep working and it and try a few things to see what works best for you!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I dont see how it is a plateau if you are losing inches....

Exactly. Its not a plateau. We have grown accustomed to depending on that scale. Unfortunately the scale doesn't know the difference between losing fat or losing lean muscle.

Be happy with the inches loss.

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/losinginches.htm
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I agree that if you are losing inches, it's not really a plateau. It's hard to not worry so much about the number on the scale, but you are making great progress! Some things you can try have already been mentioned. Switch up your exercise, maybe increase the intensity a bit, drink 80 oz of water minimum, decrease sodium intake to 1500 instead of the default mfp settings of 2500, and you could try reducing your carbs to 45% instead of 50 or 55. gOOD LUCK!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I agree that if you are losing inches, it's not really a plateau. It's hard to not worry so much about the number on the scale, but you are making great progress! Some things you can try have already been mentioned. Switch up your exercise, maybe increase the intensity a bit, drink 80 oz of water minimum, decrease sodium intake to 1500 instead of the default mfp settings of 2500, and you could try reducing your carbs to 45% instead of 50 or 55. gOOD LUCK!
  • MamaGraves2
    MamaGraves2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on the loss so far! I agree, it's not a plateau if the inches are moving in the right direction. I can feel your pain on the scale part too though. I've been stuck for 4 weeks or so and will soon be Zig/Zagging too to see if this helps. Good luck & remember how far you've come already!
    :happy: