Walking or aerobic class???

Options
Julieash
Julieash Posts: 95 Member
I did aeorbic classes 5 times a week for over 2 months... now I haven't done anything for the past 3 weeks and since it's beautiful outside I'm thinking of starting to walk at lunch instead but I'm wondering which one is actually better for me...

The aerobic classes here at 45 minutes but it's half cardio half strength...

Then the walking route I have here is 5.4 km and takes me one hour at high speed... which one would be better to slim down the legs and burn fat??? I know that when I come back from those walks I can really feel it in my legs even 20 minutes after... as for the classes I can feel it but it's really not the same thing...

I do know that it's good for weight loss to do some strength training that's why I do want to do those classes about twice a week but I'm just wondering if it's better to add some good walks or continue just the classes.

Replies

• parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The classes are going to help you burn more fat plus add lean muscle. Variety in your routine will help you in several different ways. My opinion would be to continue taking your class several times a week & also add your walk several times a week.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Variety in your routine is better than doing the same thing every day. I'd agree that you're better off walking every other day and doing the aerobics class on the days between.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Do both! Some days do the walk and some days do the class. The variety will be better for you than just one or the other and it will keep you from getting bored with just one
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I agree, I love my classes but I have to vary up my routine between treadmill/elliptical, classes, strength, and videos at home. I'll get bored otherwise. But it sounds like they are all good for you!
  • lisa01mb
    lisa01mb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Why don't you do the walking while the weathers good. Nothing lifts my mood better than excercising outside. Then try something like the 30 day shred which is like circuit training and only takes 20 mins approx per day as well as the walking?
  • tigertown11
    tigertown11 Posts: 310
    Options
    I would take advantage of the nice weather when you have it. As we know up north can be hit and miss. then you will have rainy and extra hot days for those aerobics. You won't be burned out by fall with the aerobics if you mix it up and changing it up a little (i am told) does wonders for the body!
    good luck and be proud that at least you are doing something!
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I agree, vary it according to the weather outside.

Doing different types of workouts is beneficial for working different muscles and to give your muscles a break as well as keeping you from getting bored.

Karen
  • Julieash
    Julieash Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone and yes I've decided to do both.. so yesterday and today I went for a one hour walk.. walked 5.4km and there's a spot where there's steps.. it seems like 100000 of them lol I'll try to count them next time but anyway I'm sure they make me burn tons of calories..

So when it's beautiful outside I'll go outside but Wednesdays and Fridays I will do the aerobic workouts inside because it's Boot Camp and Step which I find are a good workout :o)
  • tigertown11
    tigertown11 Posts: 310
    Options
    good way to compromise! keep up the good work!